If you have PTSD (whether from deployment, or from other ways) talk to me, you're not alone :)

So, as some of you know, im an ex-ADF soldier, Army Branch, can't exactly remember specifics and stuff, but i remember some moments that have changed my perspective on life alot, and its affected me a crapload... PTSD is a horrible result of an internal battle that's still going on...

I've been deployed for only 2 years, 3 tours... if you're ex military, talk to me, i dont know many specifics of my times overseas, because i've sustained some mental trauma the first few months back... so, i apologise for that, but, talk to me anyway, im always willing to lend an ear

Much Love

Josh.
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
I call your bluff and decided to post.

Spoiler
i don't have PTSD nanananananana

!

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
I call your bluff and decided to post.

Spoiler
i don't have PTSD nanananananana

!

Peace,

-Boem-

im not bluffing :/

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
I have ptsd and nothing works for it. All I do is distract myself with stuff like games. But it don't go away. :(

I don't talk about it. I tried that talk therapy shit and it only makes it worse. Maybe I'm a contrarian or maybe it is all horseshit. Not sure. All I know is it doesn't work for me.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Jan 30, 2016, 2:47:41 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I have ptsd and nothing works for it. All I do is distract myself with stuff like games. But it don't go away. :(

I don't talk about it. I tried that talk therapy shit and it only makes it worse. Maybe I'm a contrarian or maybe it is all horseshit. Not sure. All I know is it doesn't work for me.

yeah... after my last deployment they sent me off to this psych, and they sort of just asked really dull questions, and it was over... :/ what was the use xD

Lol.

"All i do is distract myself with games"

-> "but it doesn't go away"

Thanks for the giggle.

Act inhumane -> feel inhumane. Nothing weird about this.

Be grateful for your new found perspective on life.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I have some symptoms of PTSD, along with depression and social anxiety. (hence the username)
I don't know if it's ok to talk about it here, but I guess that the more people talk about it, the less taboo it will become.

Currently going through a bad phase. I have a hard time feeling stuff, and everything is foggy.
It didn't come from being deployed, it's just, shit happens sometimes. Once I saw a documentary about someone with PTSD (He was at Hillsborough and almost died), and his eyes were the same as mine.

What helps me cope is nature, mostly, and small projects (not too big because energy is low).
I take care of plants and snake. Now that studies are over, I want to resume going to the gym. Sports help feel good, because of endorphin boost (also called runner's high). Plus you get shaped up as a bonus.

Have anyone tried EMDR? It helped a bit.

I don't understand why anyone would go in the army, knowing that the chances of coming back with mental illness is very great, and the support the state gives is minimal. :(
"
nonhuman wrote:
I have some symptoms of PTSD, along with depression and social anxiety. (hence the username)
I don't know if it's ok to talk about it here, but I guess that the more people talk about it, the less taboo it will become.

Currently going through a bad phase. I have a hard time feeling stuff, and everything is foggy.
It didn't come from being deployed, it's just, shit happens sometimes. Once I saw a documentary about someone with PTSD (He was at Hillsborough and almost died), and his eyes were the same as mine.

What helps me cope is nature, mostly, and small projects (not too big because energy is low).
I take care of plants and snake. Now that studies are over, I want to resume going to the gym. Sports help feel good, because of endorphin boost (also called runner's high). Plus you get shaped up as a bonus.

Have anyone tried EMDR? It helped a bit.

I don't understand why anyone would go in the army, knowing that the chances of coming back with mental illness is very great, and the support the state gives is minimal. :(

Damn man :/ my PTSD was terrible, i couldnt sleep, every small noise (i live in an area thats still under development, so anything that consists of construction, and im like, jumping all over the place, anxiety levels increase instantly... its a bit better now, but every now and then, its a small noise, like, a car door slamming, that makes me jump out of bed ready for combat... its bad :/

Yeah, i find that working out can help, because it releases those feel good chemicals... i never do drugs or drink, so, i just work out and enjoy life through other means :)

I honestly hope you're okay man :)

I heard of EMDR, but i havent had it attempted on me...

I joined the army because i felt pretty useless at highschool, despite getting good scores, it felt like a roadblock in my life... im not uneducated or anything, i just didnt like highschool, so i did something positive about it (apart from dropping out) and just, signed up for the ADF.

I had demolition going on near the appartment once. We were too far to hear the warning shots, but the actual detonation, everything shook. You just don't get used to it, even if you consciously know that it's not dangerous. I think it's also instinctive to be scared of loud, sudden noises.

Currently not really ok, but it goes up and down. It's like a sinewave, for now it's not so cool, but with some time, care and help, hopefully it will get better, at least for a while.
I went outward bound in Portland, Maine, camping for 2 months. We had to get from point A to point B. I thought I was going to take pictures, sight seeing etc... You know enjoy the views... I was sooo fucking wrong. First we had to carry 80 pound back pack, we can't wear deodorant, no tooth paste, we had to wake up 5 am to dip in freezing cold river water and food was mostly a bag of mixed nuts n berries. One freaking tiny zip lock bag for two months. The rest of food came from nature. Freaking gloves from the ground that tasted like lemon.

We had to cross all types of terrain, including notches. It's basically a valley and in between huge boulders of rocks on top of each other that have crevices 30 feet deep. Fucking scary... No ropes no nothing, you fall you're dead. We got caught on top of bold mountain in a lightning storm no warning. Literally in the clouds. We had to sit down in a special form so if lightning does hit you it doesn't travel to your heart. Lightning struck the trees next to us, literally. We were so lucky the trees were coming out of rocky crevices or we would have been stabbed to death by the roots.

Our trainers left us alone for two nights and I was the only one who put up my tarp. It started hailing, the size of golf balls. I could here the rest of my group screaming in pain. When it gets dark, it gets dark. You can't see shit... Especially when the moon is covered. All you hear is the sound of leaves being crumpled by whatever creature lurked around.

I was so terrified I surrounded myself with sharp sticks before the sun went home. Two days of night...

Canoeing I learned the hard way to stay away from branches the dip into the river. They create vortexes that suck you in. Suffice to say my canoe flipped over and I was completely soaked in 40 degree weather. I had to do jumping jacks naked in front of my tent buddy for an hour to not catch hypothermia.

Horse flies Omg when they get into your hair and the tall grass that's sharper than a knife...

Out of 17 of us only 5 of us completed the journey. Everyone else quit... I was deemed the most evil person because quite frankly I would say what was on my mind and I wasn't a team player. I hated everyone... I just wanted to survive. I got to know me though I'm a tough SoB and I could make the big macho dude cry like a baby.

Monkey style pooping, cleaning butt with leaves... Classic.

Nature blessed me though well almost killed me, a female moose with her calf passed right by me. My fellow camper wanted to take a picture. I told her if you move a muscle I swear to god I will push you infront of me. That moose will not kill me today.., well she started crying but we stayed frozen. Moose are extremely aggressive when they have offspring. It's so rare to see a moose... Extremely rare.

Anyways after coming back home I was a changed person and everyone noticed. I was tougher, smarter and ignored the little things. Would I do it again? Yes but after a two to three weeks of counseling, terrible nightmares and depression I was over it. Till this day I sometimes dream about the freaking spiders I saw in the morning under my sleeping bag.

How I dealt with it... Art.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info