Templer10's Guide To The 7 link - Chaos/poison Spark – 237k DPS - Overpowered and fun

Hey and welcome to the second guide iam writing and the First for the current league (talisman).

What is this build:

This build Focuses On Casting Spark That deals High Chaos Damage and Much Higher Damage over time (poison - chaos also).

Requirments

In order for this build to work – you must use at least 2 unique and a Gem – 1) Voltaxic Rift bow To Convert all lighting damage to chaos (roll or links don’t matter) 2) Rigwald's Quills: Make All sparks shot Fork (without loss of damage). 3) Poison Gem.

End result is that at level 20 (gem): Each spark shoots 7 Projectiles that Fork (in potential) to 14 more = 21 in total – from 1 cast – each spark also deals poison damage on hit.

Pro's
Can do any and all map modifiers. Obviously Less dps on blood magic (no auras) or immune to curses (no curse/power charges) or immune to shock (since I normally always shock) but still More then enough to easily clear them.

High Dps - can carry whole parties

ok defenses.

Requires some currency - but not a whole lot of it.

Cons:
do require some currency to work - about 3 ex investment in gear at least (voltaxic rift unlinked around 2 ex, quiver and tabula is around another ex for a good roll).

Pretty much requires a 6-link – but Tabula works fine to start with.

Mana can be an issue – I use berek's grip. It can be done using clarity and mana regen gear but there will be some loss of dps since you would need to take mana or mana regen nodes.

The tree

level 82:

Theoretical level 99:

Damage Numbers:

On hit Damage:
Iam currently at level 82 – and I expect that my damage will Get higher as I go up levels since I need to take some big dps boosts (2 more chaos damage nodes, 2 power charges, frenzy charge etc).

Tooltip (level 82 – 6L - 5 frenzy charges, 3 power charges): 37,180 DPS (4.12 casts per second). For ease of calculation I will round down to 37,000 dps.

Actual damage –includes poison (from third second which can't be seen on tooltip) – 237,000 dps (more or less) – Explanation will follow.

Damage numbers = explained

Spoiler

this is a bit technical - and long - so bear with me:

first Note that this damage is for 1 Spark. Spark works a bit weird – it doesn’t "shotgun" normally – but – if a spark hits a wall and bounces back or if 1 second passes from original cast it can hit the original target again. Since spark has a duration and is pretty fast – it can and does happen – pretty often
How to Calculate Actual (real) dps

There's a huge difference between listed tooltip and actual dps due to Poison gem.

How Does poison work:

Poison is a Stacking damage over time effect that deals (as a base) 10% of the original damage each second for 2 seconds.

Poison is affected by several specific modifiers: Chaos damage, damage over time, increased duration (makes it last longer with same dps per second), and projectile damage (in case of spark since it's a projectile).

Poison is also affected by Global damage modifiers like shock.

Normally shock and poison doesn’t really happen at the same time since physical or chaos damage doesn’t shock – unless using Voltaxic rift…

What affects poison on my tree/gear: 120% increased projectile damage, 143% chaos damage, 115% poison damage (level 19 gem) = 378% increased poison damage.

That is multiplied with void manipulation (mine is level 19 so 38% more damage) and also multiplied by 20% more (5 frenzy charges) = 626% increased poison damage.

That means – that per second I deal 72.6% of the original damage (626% of the original 10% of base damage).

Now assuming that the target survived for 3 seconds (poison duration for me) at that 3rd second it gets 318% of tooltip as damage (100% of the tooltip + 3*poison per second).

In damage numbers it's – 117,660 dps.

Now – that damage is true If the target isn't shocked.

Due to voltaxic rift and crit chance I have around 50% to shock (close to 60% with assasin's mark). Shock is a 50% more modifier to damage.

If a target is not shocked before the hit but becomes shocked – the original damage is as listed in tooltip but the poison damage is affected by shock so it's 50% more.

If the target was already shocked – the original damage gets 50% more damage and the poison damage also gains 50% more damage.

Usual scenario – base damage gains 50% more and so does poison. Applied to earlier calculation it increases base damage by 50% - which also increase poison damage by 50%.

Poison damage is now –72.6% of original tooltip (poison)*1.5 (shock modifier to base damage) * 1.5 (shock modifier to poison) *3 seconds = 490% of tooltip after 3 seconds.

End result when shock applies damage is – 640% of tooltip (150% of tooltip base damage due to shock + 490% from poison).

An additional modifier that I didn’t account for is the more modifier applied by assassin mark to crits. It happens a lot when target is cursed but since it's not always cursed even with curse on hit – ill ignore it.

All of that brings us back to the original question – how much damage i do?

For me – from the third second (assuming shock which always happen by that third second)- (55,500 base damage + 181,300 poison Dps = 237,000 dps (give or take a few hundred) – assuming no shotgun.

Defenses

Level 82 – 4,769 life, 40% dodge, 30% spell dodge, 4.3% life regeneration (with 5 frenzy charges).
Overcapped resistances (can do elemental weakness with max resists), 168% life (not including life in 3 jewels).

The links

6L- Spark, Poison, Spell echo, faster casting, void manipulation, added chaos.
3L – cast on damage taken, immortal call, increased duration (lasts around 0.85 seconds).
3L – Herald of thunder, curse on hit, assasin's mark.
4L – Vaal grace, vaal haste, rallying cry, increased duration
Stick somewhere also – frenzy (for charges against boss's) wrath, blink arrow, phase run (used as a movement skill).
2 free slots (if the bow is 6 sockets.

Gear

I recommend using Berek's grip for mana leech and winds of change for projectile speed, life and projectile damage on gloves. Blood dance is best in slot for boots for the frenzy charges (and dex).

Other gear (rings, amulet, belt, head, chest) – rares. For amulet – I recommend a talisman with implicit of chaos damage (since the damage applies to both original hit and poison) with additional damage, life, crit multi and whatever your budget allows.

Flasks
I reccomend using 3 instant divine life flaks, instant eternal mana flask and atziri's flask.

Leveling

You can level with spark from level 1. Shadow is by far the best class since it's first 5 nodes has chaos damage on them. When starting out – take the other entry point with elemental damage – when you can use voltaxic rift – respect to take the chaos damage nodes.

Bandits:
Normal: life
Cruel: Passive point
Merciless: Frenzy (since I gain the "more" damage on both initial hit and poison it's better for me then power charge. Also – power charge generation isn't as reliable).

32 points:

58 points:

current build (103 points, level 82)

my current gear

Spoiler

IGN: I_Hate_Dying
Last edited by templer10 on Jan 11, 2016, 8:00:41 AM
Last bumped on Oct 16, 2016, 4:47:05 AM
i've played with him, nice build,

he is ok with high maps at lvl 80,

i guess when he will have more life, he will be able to do 80+ maps with a good clear speed, and no deaths
The real king of the hill - ASSZERKER CoC - high life, insane damage and clear speed
IGN: ascendant_broken_heart, thread number: 1608112
Last edited by rel4us on Jan 12, 2016, 8:14:00 AM
Why no fatal toxine, 125% increased poison damage since you have the poison gem?

This is about 20% more damage for 3 points. Wait, 30% since you have increased duration.
Last edited by Llyrain on Jan 12, 2016, 9:21:51 AM
first - there is a limit to how many damage nodes i can take since i still need to take more life nodes (i want to get to around 5.5 life at around level 90) it came down to either taking the top most chaos damage circle (71% chaos damage over 5 points) or the poison nodes.

second - poison damage is a factor of the base damage dealt. Increasing base damage creates an exponentially higher gain then just increasing poison damage.

that is due to "double dipping". when i increase the base chaos damage of spark - it then benefits from all the "more" modifiers that exist to the damage (void manipulation, frenzy charges, shock).

this create's a Higher "base" poison damage. that "base" poison damage is then further increased by the same "more" and "increased" modifiers.

if i increase poison damage alone - those "more" modifiers apply once once - to the poison also.

it's kind of hard to math it out due to all the diffrent modifiers but generally speaking - it's almost always better to push the base chaos damage as high as possible.
IGN: I_Hate_Dying
Hi OP,

Thank you for the interesting build, and the mechanism explanation behind poision. Do you feel a non-crit version is viable for HC? What would the tree looklike?

Thanks
Your 58 point skill tree link isn't working.
can we get an updated tree
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbubbajukes
Can you update build tree, please?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info