[2.2 - Occultist] Lowlife Dual Chaos Totem MF Culler (Solo/Party/Maps)

Updated for Ascendancy!

Realistic loot sample from Voll solo.

Note: This is a very expensive build, mainly designed for Standard, but is viable for Hardcore as well, and potentially viable in temporary leagues (see section below).

General Strategy:
Spoiler
As a totem build, the ease of play is pretty high, as well as the safety. You should always stay behind your totems in relation to the mobs you are facing in solo play, stay in the back and spam Enduring Cry, and let the totems do the hard work and tank for you. In party play make good use of your Quicksilver Flask and Whirling Blades to keep up, and stay ahead of the game on totem placement to ensure you get off a cull most of the time (and 100% of the time on bosses), and provide your auras to the team. When farming lake you should be the one opening Town Portals for new arrivals/creating new instances and announcing it to the party, etc, as you don't have to manage much. When going in for the Cull on a boss, you should set new Flame Totems (to ensure they are active when the boss drops to 10% HP for the Cull), and start spamming Searing Bond to dump you Mana while using Divination Distillate for extra IIR and IIQ. Everything else I believe is fairly straightforward.

Ascendancy:
Spoiler
I feel like the Occultist ascendancy is best suited to give us considerably more defence so it was a natural pick, this will give you even more Energy Shield to make high end maps with groups safer, you can also try to hang a bit closer to the action to lower the chaos resistance of bosses and large trash packs. The three noteables we should pick are Void Beacon, Wicked Ward, and Vile Bastion.

Bandits:
Spoiler
Kill all for a passive in each difficulty.

Gear:
Spoiler

Flasks:

Example Jewels: (A few of mine could be way better.)

Passive Tree:

Offence:
2.1 Screenshot.
Spoiler

10k on Flame Totem with this much MF isn't all that bad, and thanks to The Consuming Dark we deal mostly Chaos damage, so Fire Penetration isn't needed. With both totems down you have a pretty decent clear speed solo in mid tier maps and below, in groups you are mainly there to cull / provide defensive auras anyway.

Defense:
2.1 Screenshot
Spoiler

Ignore that 74% Cold Res,I was up late at night and made a small gearing mistake, you can easily compensate for the lack of cold res.

IIR and IIQ without Divination Distillate:
Spoiler

q20 lvl 17 Item Rarity

IIR and IIQ with Divination Distillate:
Spoiler

q20 lvl 17 Item Rarity

Gem Links:
Spoiler
Chest: Flame Totem - Faster Casting - Item Rarity - Item Quantity (or Added Chaos Damage) - Culling Strike - Faster Projectiles

If you only have a 5L drop Faster Projectiles, for a 4L drop Faster Casting as well.

Helmet: Vaal Discipline - Increased Duration - Faster Casting - Searing Bond

Searing Bond is mainly here for dumping mana to trigger Divination Distillate for Culling Bosses.

Gloves: Cast When Damage Taken (lvl6) - Immortal Call (lvl8) - Enfeeble(lvl9) - Increased Duration

Boots: Purity of Fire - Purity of Lightning - Purity of Elements - Whirling Blades(lvl1)

Dagger: Summon Flame Golem - Minion Life - Enduring Cry

Shield: Discipline - Anger - Grace

Notes for Temporary Leagues:
Spoiler
If you intend to use this build in a temporary league I would make a few changes, the Passive tree would remain virtually the same, and the gearing choices I would change, would be dropping Shavronne's Wrappings for a Solaris Lorica (until you can afford a Shavs), and change out Wondertrap for a pair of Goldwyrm. You could potentially use a Heartbreaker instead of The Consuming Dark to have an inherent Culling Strike effect on spells, replace Culling Strike with Fire Penetration if you make this choice. And no Item Quantity, so, I would replace this with Added Chaos Damage.
People of the gutters, steel your bellies, for the slaughter is at hand!

Last edited by XSyntheticX on Mar 20, 2016, 8:30:47 PM
Last bumped on Apr 28, 2016, 10:57:21 AM
A very nice build. I started leveling a witch to try it out!

Can you tell me how you leveled this build? Starting with A4C both my damage and survibility seem lacking. I don't have very good items though. I guess the main problem, seeing that at this point all damage increasing passives are skilled already?

Cheers!
Hi, I like so much your build. I have a question: I'm on talisman league (no gem item quantity) what item recommend. I'm lvl 66 and I have 6L Shavs - Prism - Perandus and Flask.

MY question is (because don't exist Item quantity gem)
Buy Goldwyrm or Wondertrap? Sadima or Aurseize ? 2 Andvarius or Andvarius + Ventor ring?

IGN: iSteven_K
Last edited by 4Karbon on Jan 18, 2016, 12:20:14 PM
Hi how you use Anger,Discipline and Grace in prism shield?This shield have blood magic.And i have 1 life.How????Thx
Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy lately, sorry for the late responses!!!

"
killkrog wrote:
A very nice build. I started leveling a witch to try it out!

Can you tell me how you leveled this build? Starting with A4C both my damage and survibility seem lacking. I don't have very good items though. I guess the main problem, seeing that at this point all damage increasing passives are skilled already?

Cheers!

You will be very dependent on gear/auras for survability, also, flame totems damage took a hit when 2.1 dropped so it's even more reliant on gem level for damage unfortunately, my best advice would be to shop around for a few gear upgrades if you can find them for a reasonable price, and try to over-level the flame totem gem. This should help a bit I hope!

"
4Karbon wrote:
Hi, I like so much your build. I have a question: I'm on talisman league (no gem item quantity) what item recommend. I'm lvl 66 and I have 6L Shavs - Prism - Perandus and Flask.

MY question is (because don't exist Item quantity gem)
Buy Goldwyrm or Wondertrap? Sadima or Aurseize ? 2 Andvarius or Andvarius + Ventor ring?

For Talisman, I would go Goldwyrm - Sadima - Andvarius + Ventor's, or potentially double Ventor's if they have crazy good rolls, basically, take all the quantity possible in temp leagues.

"
romanczech wrote:
Hi how you use Anger,Discipline and Grace in prism shield?This shield have blood magic.And i have 1 life.How????Thx

A ton of reduced mana reservation from the passive tree!

Hope this helps guys!

What about bandits ? :P
IGN:Shaedey
"
yavacoast wrote:
What about bandits ? :P

Lmao can't believe I forgot that :D, kill all in each difficulty, also updated the main post.

How high maps can you do? I am doing low life MFer with flame totem, but I am crit.

Gear is ok

Just wondering if I could get more ES, and do higher maps if I drop crit with a build similar to yours?
I love pie.
Last edited by xSyK0TiC on Jan 26, 2016, 12:31:40 AM
Last edited by Nynnaeve on Mar 8, 2016, 2:16:50 PM
Updated for Ascendancy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info