[Moved] Arly's Elemental Cyclone Reaver Scion

This build has moved!:
Elemental reave inquisitor

Introduction: Reave and cyclone are two very competitive and fun skills to use. Melee is heavily underused and generally too expensive to make due to requiring a strong physical weapon or worse, a mirrored dagger and in many cases an abyssus helm which is very risky in high maps. Both skills have pro's and cons with reave being a faster map clearer but cyclone the better boss killer and offers great mobility even when attacking.

Preface: If you're someone who cares about tooltip dps than actual clear speed then turn around now and pick up one of many 300k dps builds on these boards. This build is not intended for you.

Build video:
======================================
Level 91 - 2:11 minute clear of T9 map
======================================

Videos

Level 91 reave clear of gorge(9) - 2:11 minutes
https://youtu.be/znWRrOI_07s
Gear

Reave DPS with full charges, BR, auras, golem : 113,000
Life: 4,394
Evasion: 5,996
Movespeed: 38%
Life regen: 489

Level 90 reave clear of plateau(10) - 2:30 minutes - EE, 40% less regen, chain
https://youtu.be/MtGH9as0pb0

Level 90 cyclone clear of plateau(10) - 2:42 minutes - 60% lightning resist, crit
https://youtu.be/PcSEbqky8Qo

Level 90 reave clear of precinct(11) - 3:15 minutes - beyond, poison, fracture
https://youtu.be/zOHXkKq-XbI

Passives:

Note: You will need 155 int to use level 20 wrath meaning investment in int nodes in the passive tree unless your gear provides it, or some combination of both.

Dual wield Cyclone Radius (25)

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAAYB3AUtBbUGIAaiCGcM8g2NDdERLxR1FbgV9ha_F9wZtBvII9Mj9iT9JpUqCysKLlMwcTB8NZI2PTfUOkI64T7PQzFHfkp9SshLeEz_TZJN404qUUdVS1b6WHVaGluvXfJh4mJ5YqxjQ2VNZ6Bqk2yMbqpvJ287cFJ0oHTtd9d343gNeu97w38rguSE2Yd2idOKr4w2jX2Nv49gkBGWMppqnaqly6ZXqW60xbXyvTa95r6nvrzAGsLswzPIW8_d02_UI9i92sHdqOOE45_nVO0_8YryRf4K_o__3g==

Dual wield Cyclone Maximum radius(26-27) - Very gear intensive

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAAYB3ASzBS0FtQYgBqIIZwthDPINjREvFHUVuBX2Fr8X3Bm0I9Mj9iT9JpUqCysKLlMwcTB8NZI2PTfUOkI8BTwtPs9DMUd-Sn1KyEt4TP9Nkk4qUUdVS1b6WHVaGluvXfJh4mJ5YqxlTWjyapNsjG6qbydvO3BSdKB07XfXd-N4DXrve8N_K4Lkg8yE2Yd2idOKr4w2jX2Nv49gkBGWMppqnaqf36IApcupbq9stMW18rc-vTa95r6nvrzAGsBmwuzDM8auyFvTb9Qj2L3awd2o45_nVOtj7T_vfPAf_gr_3g==

Reave Sword and shield - 105 int version

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAdwFLQW1BiAGoghnDPINjQ3RES8UdRW4Fr8X3Bm0G8gj0yP2JP0mlSoLKwouUzBxMHw1kjY9N9Q6QjrhPs9DMUd-Sn1KyEt4TP9Nkk3jTipRR1VLVvpYdVoaW69d8mHiYqxjQ2VNapNsjG6qbydvO3BSdKB07XfXd-N4DXrve8N_K4LkhNmHdonTiq-K8Iw2jX2Nv49gkAqQEZYymmqdqqXLplepbrCrtMW18r02vea-p768wBrCjsLswzPEgshbz93Tb9Qj2L3awd2o44Tjn-dU6UbtP_GK8kX-Cv6P_94=

Reave Sword and shield - 135 int version

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAdwFLQW1BiAGoghnDPINjQ3RES8UdRW4Fr8X3Bm0I9Mj9iT9JpUqCysKLlMwcTB8NZI31DpCOuE-z0MxRwZHfkp9SshLeEz_TZJN404qUUdVS1b6WHVaGluvXfJh4mKsY0NlTWqTbAhsjG6qbydvO3BSdKB07XfXd-N4DXrve8N_K4LkhNmHdonTiq-K8Iw2jX2Nv49gkAqQEZYymmqdqqXLplepbrCrtMW18r02vea-p768wBrC7MMzxILIW9Nv1CPYvdrB2-fdqOOE45_nVOlG7T_xivJF8uH-Cv6P_94=

Gear

Cyclone - dual wield

Reave - Sword and shield

Gearing guide

Weapon: Luckily elemental crit rapiers are very inexpensive. the current rapiers I'm using now cost about 20 chaos orbs are are 80% of the power of a 100% perfect BIS rapier that costs 200 exalts.
The weapon must have attack speed and critical strike chance as well as cold damage and ideally lightning and critical damage.
-Aim for 1.8+ APS and 6.9+ Crit chance, the highest the better. This is the most important part.
-Have about 150 or more EDPS, most of it from cold and light.
-Finally, flat fire/WED/crit multi is nice to have but not mandatory.
-If you're using cyclone it must have a suffix for +2 weapon range, this is completely useless for reave however

The actual DPS of the weapon does not matter at all compared to crit chance and attack speed. The reason we want cold damage is that herald of ice relies on cold damage to shatter and proc power charges. For cyclone you must get one that can craft +2 weapon as a suffix.
Some examples of foils you should be looking for.

Shield: If you're using reave you'll want to use a shield. IMO, you should get as much resist from here as possible in addition to life. Evasion is nice but not priority. The reason being you need to buffer a lot of resists in order to use lightning coil.
Armor: There are lots of choices here so I will list pros and cons of all.
-Carcass jack - the best armor to use for clear speed but lack high defensive value. Mandatory for cyclone, less so for reave. Ideal for T9-T11 power clears.
-Lightning coil - Imo the best defensive option and ideal for surviving T11-15 maps. The light resist penalty makes it very difficult to get maxed resist so you will lose either life or damage as a net result.
-Belly of the beast - IMO a bit weaker than lightning coil for all survive-ability but people love high health numbers.
-Tri res rare eva - Incredibly expensive but will net you a lot of resists and evasion making it easier to optimize damage. I would not recommend this unless you are swimming in exalts, Even then a legacy coil would still outperform it in some situations.
Helm: Any rare with life resists and accuracry will do. Rat's nest for damage.
Gloves:A rare glove with life and resists if youre lacking or maligaro's if you want more damage, the non legacy version is not too much of a dps difference. Acuity can be used to make reflect a non issue but extremely expensive and should only be considered when the rest of your gear is top notch.
Boots: Blood dance remains my favorite choice for this gear slot and sadly a victim of a very unexpected nerf by GGG. If you can not obtain a legacy version I would use an alternative like a rare with life resists or darkray vectors which will help boost the reave variant's survive by a decent margin. Otherwise, use a rare.
Belt:A rare leather belt with life and resists. WED here would be ideal but not mandatory. If you can get one with area of effect corruption it opens up tremendous options for cyclone and a nice perk for reave.
Rings: Go for life resist here if you need it. Flat elemental damage is very inexpensive and adds massive damage to the build. Ideally go for lightning and cold(to proc HoI). Having accuracy on either amulet, helm or 1 ring is highly recommended. It is a very good idea to use these as placeholders initially and get as much resists/flat ele as possible as these tend to cost very little. As you improve the rest of your gear, you can reallocate affixes on rings.
Amulet:Dedicate this slot solely for damage and life. Get WED or ele in addition to as much crit multi and crit chance as you can.

Jewels:
You will want to start off with the following:
-attack speed with swords | lightning damage | attack speed while holding a shield
-Area damage (will also boost HoI nova damage!) | melee damage | resists

Late game you will want:
-Life
-attack speed with swords | lightning damage | attack speed while holding a shield
-Area damage | melee damage | resists
-Ideally a secondary affixes such as critical strike chance and crit multi

A chill of corruption is also very helpful for generating charges for vaal reave and vaal haste but not required.

For cyclone you will want to use warlord's mark to extend your weapon range.

Flasks:
1 ample QS of adrenaline
1 surgeon's or ample jade flask of stauching
1 catalyzed hybrid flask of heat
Atziri's promise
Taste of hate or Rumi's or life flask

Crucial build mechanics

Reave and cyclone AOE:
For reave, you will want as much increased area of effect as possible and weapon range as no bearing on your aoe. With vaal reave active and about 15% from the tree and no carcass jack, the range is enough to cover an entire screen so you do not need to work as hard.

For cyclone you need to realize that there is a formula involved and 'breakpoints' due to poe rounding down. Weapon range makes a huge difference and is one of the reasons to use thrusting swords. To calculate, it is simply weapon range + weapon range modifiers + increased area of effect.

For example: If I have a thrusting sword (innate range 9) with + 2 from vagan mod, master of the arena passive and warlord's mark my weapon range will be 14. If I have increased area of effect level 20, carcass jack, Q20 cyclone and, 15% Iaoe from tree my total cyclone radius is:

14*(1+(.39+.1+.2+.10)) = 25 range. Note that if I get 5% more Iaoe from the tree this actually does nothing because the game will round down. You want to aim for at least 25 if not more otherwise its a miserable experience trying to chase down stragglers that were literally an inch away from your character.

Getting 26 requires you to to either get 15% from the tree in addition to having a 23 quality cyclone and level 21 Iaoe gem or simply 20% from the tree which means taking all the templar Iaoe nodes and 1 of the scion Iaoe nodes.

Getting 27 means level Iaoe gem, 23Q cyclone and 25% Iaoe from the tree which is all 5 reachable Iaoe nodes from the tree.

When dual wielding cyclone will use the longest reach weapon meaning you only need 1 weapon with +2 range.

Dual wield vs shield and sword:
For reave I would recommend sword and shield as you do not really benefit that much from a secondary weapon such as death's hand or 50% more crit multi with a second rapier and the evasion/life/resists go a long way to making sure you survive.

For cyclone I would recommend dual wield due to cyclone hitting twice per spin with both weapons. Because the weapons are so inexpensive, its very easy to get 2 high tier rapiers. This however means you lose 10% block, evasion, life and resists and is rather risky in T12-15 maps.

Build information

Build metrics: Clear speed:3.5, Survive:3, map versatility:4, ST potential:3, cost:2.5 (higher meaning less expensive)

Goals: very fast clear speed by maximizing AOE, good amount of tanking power through evasion life regen unparalleled mobility and fortify, able to do a wide array of maps
Basics: Critical based, pure elemental runs wrath and herald of ice and skills on mana.
Gearing: rapier + shield and dual rapier, evasion based gear and as much life/element/WED on gear slots. Mid end version very inexpensive and consists of mostly ele/resis gear and a very inexpensive rapier.
Swap: gear is almost exactly the same for LA build other than weapons/shied - bow/quiver. Can be converted into a frostblade/ST build with minimal adjustments.

Build can be done as shadow or templar or duelist or shadow. The difference is as follows:
Shadow 5pts: 56% elemental damage, 12 life (most offensive)
Templar 5pts: 30% melee damage, 26% elemental damage, 12 mana (Most offensive, same as shadow but melee instead of ele so slightly more damage)
Scion 7pts: 28 to all resists, 1 jewel socket, 10 str, 24% evasion and armour (most defensive, versatile)
Duelist 5pts: 12% attack speed, 12% accuracy, 12% evasion and armour, 8% life (most balanced)

IMO: Scion will be the best choice unless you have very high end gear to cover the missing resists in which case go templar or shadow. I would not recommend going duelist. This build aims to provide a alternative to expensive physical melee builds.

Skill gem set-up

Reave

6L: Reave + MS + WED + Iaoe + Added light + [Critical strike chance - light pen for light resist maps and EE maps, crit dam for cold resist maps]
4L: HoI + Assasin's mark + CoH + enduring cry
4L: CWDT + increased duration + immortal call + vaal haste
3l: Blood rage + vaal reave + assassin's mark
3l: Wrath + enlighten + ice golem
4L: Whirling blades + fortify + FA + blood magic/endurance charge on stun

You can swap immortal call / enduring cry with temporal chains / decoy totem if you'd rather not manual cast EC

Cyclone

6L: Cyclone + FA + WED + Iaoe + Added light + [Critical strike chance - light pen for light resist maps and EE maps, crit dam for cold resist maps]
4L: HoI + Assasin's mark + CoH + enduring cry
4L: CWDT + increased duration + immortal call + vaal haste
3l: Blood rage + vaal grace + assassin's mark
3l: Wrath + enlighten + ice golem
4L: Whirling blades + fortify + FA + blood magic/endurance charge on stun
You can swap immortal call / enduring cry with temporal chains / decoy totem if you'd rather not manual cast EC

Bandits:
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Kraitlyn
Merciless - Kraitlyn

A note about mirrored items and BiS:
Mirroring boots, belts, shield gloves or helms is the most wasteful thing you can do in the game. These items provide very little DPS gain and over stacking resists is pointless. There will never be point where it will be worthwhile to burn 300 exalts on any of these gear slots. At this point, there are really only 3 items in the entire game potentially worth buying a mirrored version of: a PDS crit bow, PDS wands and legacy crit amulets however I do not recommend buy any of these because much cheaper alternatives at 70% of the power can be had for 30% of the price. Everything else is an utter waste of currency.

You do not need a full set of mirrored items or any mirrored item to be play at the very highest level and I would encourage against blowing your wallet for a shiny duped item that will ultimately lock you into undesirable gem colors or become outdated as GGG nerfs and buffs skills or changes reflect mechanics. A build whose baseline is several mirrored items, or worst, BiS originals is a bit silly because given 1000 exalts, even a toddler could make heavy strike into an end game build.

Please post questions in thread and not in-game as others will be able to benefit and its not efficient to answer similar questions from several people.

Other builds I've authored:
Elemental Lightning arrow
Blade Vortex caster
Elemental kinetic blast: WIP
Omni LL caster: WIP
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Mar 30, 2016, 4:38:15 AM
reserved
Hey there, great build! I'm having a lot of fun. Currently level 75. (Reave)

I swapped out Enduring Cry with Temporal Chains as your suggested alternative because it just felt like a drag to constantly keep using it when speed running through maps. Is there another alternative support gem?

Following the gear that's given in the guide, without mention of int, I'm being int starved and it really threw me off of the path and I feel like I'm sacrificing some important things for the int to level my wrath up. Could you provide additional insight on the little things such as this?

What are alternatives to the chest armour if people do not have the money to purchase such expensive gear, especially 6L'd? What's an alternative to 4L and 5L regarding the skill gem set-up chest piece?

Is it possible for you to provide your character's profile to provide a guideline of what you're running and the to-be-expected? It'll give a clear overall picture of what to aim for.
Last edited by Glassia on Jan 12, 2016, 6:18:37 PM
"
Glassia wrote:
Hey there, great build! I'm having a lot of fun. Currently level 75.

I swapped out Enduring Cry with Temporal Chains as suggested because it just felt like a drag to constantly keep using it when speed running through maps, is there another alternative support gem?

Following the gear that's given in the guide, without mention of int, I'm being int starved and it really threw me off of the path and I feel like I'm sacrificing some important things for the int to level my wrath up. Could you provide additional insight on the little things such as this?

What are alternatives to the chest armour if people do not have the money to purchase such expensive gear, especially 6L'd? What's an alternative to 4L and 5L regarding the skill gem set-up chest piece?

Is it possible for you to provide your character's profile to provide a guideline of what you're running and the to-be-expected? It'll give a clear overall picture of what to aim for.

Temp chains works fine as is. I'm not sure what you mean by support gem other than increased duration.

Try this version of the tree if you need more INT. It's 135 int so you only need 20 from gear such as an amulet:
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAdwFLQW1BiAGoghnDPINjQ3RES8UdRW4Fr8X3Bm0I9Mj9iT9JpUqCysKLlMwcTB8NZI31DpCOuE-z0MxRwZHfkp9SshLeEz_TZJN404qUUdVS1b6WHVaGluvXfJh4mKsY0NlTWqTbAhsjG6qbydvO3BSdKB07XfXd-N4DXrve8N_K4LkhNmHdonTiq-K8Iw2jX2Nv49gkAqQEZYymmqdqqXLplepbrCrtMW18r02vea-p768wBrC7MMzxILIW9Nv1CPYvdrB2-fdqOOE45_nVOlG7T_xivJF8uH-Cv6P_94=

It is essentially spending 1 point for 30 int +18% power charge duration at the loss of 30 dex.

Any 6 link armor will work fine. Just get a tabula rasa until you can get a 6 link coil.

Use the gear set listed in in the video section and the above tree. You do not need high end jewelry to achieve great results, Those were just what I was using at the moment. What is very very important is your weapons have crit chance APS and light/cold damage.
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 12, 2016, 6:23:31 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:

Temp chains works fine as is. I'm not sure what you mean by support gem other than increased duration.

Try this version of the tree if you need more INT. It's 135 int so you only need 20 from gear such as an amulet:

It is essentially spending 1 point for 30 int +18% power charge duration at the loss of 30 dex.

Any 6 link armor will work fine. Just get a tabula rasa until you can get a 6 link coil.

Use the gear set listed in in the video section and the above tree. You do not need high end jewelry to achieve great results, Those were just what I was using at the moment. What is very very important is your weapons have crit chance APS and light/cold damage.

I meant other curses like conductivity.

Thanks for that, is that the tree you're running as well?
May you link your character profile to provide an up-to-date model of your build?

Cheers mate.
"
Glassia wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

I meant other curses like conductivity.

Thanks for that, is that the tree you're running as well?
May you link your character profile to provide an up-to-date model of your build?

Cheers mate.

This is my current shadow's tree, I am doing testing on both reave vs cyclone at the moment specced into cyclone. What I posted above is what you should use for reave sword and shield.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAdwEswUtBbUGIAaiC2EM8g3RES8UdRa_F9wYXRm0G8gj0yP2JP0mlSoLKwouUzB8NZI2PTfUPAU8LTzvPs9DMUV8R35M_02STipRR1VLVvpaGluvXfJh4mKsY0NlTWjyapNsjG8nbztwUnKpdKB07XfXd-N4DXrvfyuDX4PMhNmJ04w2jX2Nv49gkn2Xl5hvmmqdqp_fogCly6lur2y0OLTFtfK3Pr02vea-p8AawGbC7MMzxPbGrs_d02_UI9i92sHcI-OE5Rnlz-dU7T_vfPAf8Yr3Mvv1_gr-j__e?accountName=Nephalim&characterName=Arlithen

You can use any curse you'd like. I just prefer a defensive on on cwdt.
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 12, 2016, 6:38:24 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAdwFLQW1BiAGoghnDPINjQ3RES8UdRW4Fr8X3Bm0G8gj0yP2JP0mlSoLKwouUzBxMHw1kjY9N9Q6QjrhPs9DMUd-Sn1KyEt4TP9Nkk3jTipRR1VLVvpYdVoaW69d8mHiYqxjQ2VNapNsjG6qbydvO3BSdKB07XfXd-N4DXrve8N_K4LkhNmHdonTiq-K8Iw2jX2Nv49gkAqQEZYymmqdqqXLplepbrCrtMW18r02vea-p768wBrCjsLswzPEgshbz93Tb9Qj2L3awd2o44Tjn-dU6UbtP_GK8kX-Cv6P_94=

I'm liking your 105 int passive skill tree much more. I don't feel as starved and my quality of life +1. There's no need to stress about finding another piece of gear with int and you can use that, would have been int spot, for another stat to boost your survivability/damage. Thanks!
Last edited by Glassia on Jan 12, 2016, 7:57:40 PM
What is the difference of clear speed between level 75 and level 91? The remaining points in my skill tree are defensive (life, evasion). I was wondering if I'm suppose to be clearing mobs as you are in your "Level 91 - 2:11 minute clear of T9" since all I'm missing is defensive passives in my skill tree. Maybe the Carcass Jack and Rat's Nest played a big part in that?

I am also having a little trouble with some rares and mostly unique bossing regarding killing time.

Overall, all I can think of is optimizing gear for more damage.

Thoughts?
"
Glassia wrote:
What is the difference of clear speed between level 75 and level 91? The remaining points in my skill tree are defensive (life, evasion). I was wondering if I'm suppose to be clearing mobs as you are in your "Level 91 - 2:11 minute clear of T9" since all I'm missing is defensive passives in my skill tree. Maybe the Carcass Jack and Rat's Nest played a big part in that?

I am also having a little trouble with some rares and mostly unique bossing regarding killing time.

Overall, all I can think of is optimizing gear for more damage.

Thoughts?

It is a whole new world between 75 and 91. Passives, gem levels, incremental upgrades. So no you're not going to clear a gorge in 2:11 with much less gear, 15 missing passives, and level 16-18 gems.

You can swap increased area for concentrated effect for bosses.
"
Nephalim wrote:

It is a whole new world between 75 and 91. Passives, gem levels, incremental upgrades. So no you're not going to clear a gorge in 2:11 with much less gear, 15 missing passives, and level 16-18 gems.

You can swap increased area for concentrated effect for bosses.

I see, thanks.

Now is critical strike overall the default 6L skill gem? I've been finding myself to be up against lightning resis or elemental resis mobs than running into mobs that aren't; same goes for the crit damage skill gem. I just feel like Lightning Penetration is better for everyday use, that being said, critical strike is really important.
Last edited by Glassia on Jan 13, 2016, 6:00:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info