Projectile Weakness and DoT

Would this curse increase the damage done by projectile based damage over time, such as Essence Drain, Puncture, or poison?

Last bumped on Oct 18, 2016, 7:44:31 PM
"
Zed_ wrote:
Would this curse increase the damage done by projectile based damage over time, such as Essence Drain, Puncture, or poison?
The DoT is not a projectile, so it isn't affected directly by PW.

However, the DoT damage of Puncture and Poison is based on the damage of the initial hit, which is affected by PW. But Essence Drain has a fixed DoT which is affected by spell damage modifiers, so PW has no effect there (apart from the damage of the initial hit of course).

In short, whether PW has an effect on a skill's DoT depends on which skill we're talking about.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
The DoT is not a projectile, so it isn't affected directly by PW.
[..]
But Essence Drain has a fixed DoT which is affected by spell damage modifiers, so PW has no effect there (apart from the damage of the initial hit of course).

Essence Drain's Damage over Time is applied via a Projectile, and as such it scales with Increased/More Projectile Damage. Hence the question. :)

I honestly have no clue if this transference carries over to the defender-side calculation. My gut feeling says it would work? Real easy to test though: kill a fixed enemy with a lifespan longer than three seconds (for example, Hillock) with and without Projectile Weakness. Time your kills.
Bump. Any news on this? Did someone test it?
Please help to fight the climate change!
yes, it does apply to projectile-based DoTs, as they're is still considered 'projectile' damage (and yes, I've used this with puncture and CA, so i'm talking from experience too).

However, (hopefully) soon double-dipping may be at least partially eliminated, which would imply that bleed/poison/ignite will no longer scale on 'projectile' damage, so in the near future proj weakness might not directly help those particular DoTs (though it'd still help them indirectly by boosting whatever projectile applied them). It should continue to help out all other projectile-based DoTs though, so no worries on other fronts.

Also, we need a melee version of Projectile Weakness. Melees deserve a real offensive curse, and punishment doesn't count.
Last edited by Shppy on May 21, 2016, 12:52:33 PM
Well, the last commentary is from 1 month ago. :O But I found this whilst searching for Essence Drain + Projectile Weakness, so it seems I'm correct here. =3

My testing, using Scion mit Occultist+Trickster, on Hillock merc with 1 Essence Drain without any supports to let him survive and compare health rests:

-cast without any curses: reduced to 2nd phase, ~50% remaining health
-cast with proj weak: reduced to 2nd phase, ~40% remaining health
-cast with vuln: reduced to 2nd phase, ~1% remaining
-cast with ele weak: reduced to 2nd phase, ~40% remaining health

The reason Hillock suffers more dmg with proj weak than without lies within Occultist's "Enemies you Curse have -15% Chaos Resistance".

If someone wants to mention: Yes, between proj weak and ele weak was a slight health difference, as the on-hit damage for ED was increased via proj weak. But you get the idea.

Hope this helps those wondering about ED and curse-behaviour. :)

Take care!
I am just going to post this here, in case someone appears here from a Google search like I did.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4usc5j/verify_confused_about_projectile_weakness_double/

Mark_GGG confirms that Projectile Weakness does not increase Poison damage even if applied via a projectile. I would extrapolate from this it therefore does not increase Essence Drain's DoT damage and/or Decay damage as well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info