Essence Drain + Abyssal Cry - The Affliction Warlock! 22,700+ DPS!

Figured I would upload my character / gear and thoughts on Essence Drain and the character I've been playing since the Talisman league has started.

I've managed to get up to 22 challenges so far this league. Including doing double boss Kaom in the Abyss in 2 player party.

I really enjoy the build and think the skill has a lot of potential to grow and be improved on.

This play style isn't for everyone though. You have to cast 2 skills per pack however with 99 - 100% pierce chance the skill feels like a whole new game improving clear speed and increasing damage.

Current damage stats.

I'm not quite sure what the actual raw DPS of the skill is for single target as I use the new Poison support gem. However even after the bug fix it's still a disgusting amount of damage. Unfortunately this damage does not get spread by contagion, but that's not needed at all!

Group play changes quite a lot with this build moving towards debuffing / single target dps / and spamming Abyssal Cry.

Abyssal Cry is a power house in groups and will quite literally 1 shot bosses. I've been able to 1 shot Tzteosh, Hungering Flame (Flame Blast + SRS boss) in 6 player party groups by rounding up all his SRS using Abyssal Cry and then popping one to instantly kill the boss.

If you can drag mobs to map bosses as well it will do absurd damage from just a 4 link when combined with our passive damage buffs (tree, poison gem, etc)

Thoughts on Essence Drain:

I think Essence Drain is a really fun and great spell. The only gripes I have with it is it's slow projectile speed and small hitbox. If these things were changed it would improve the skill greatly. Because of those issues I favor projectile speed greatly. It feels really good with at least 30% proj speed which you can get on jewels once you have all 4 sockets available. This allows you to drop the faster proj gem from your link and add more damage.

Current Gear
Spoiler

Jewels:

Bandits:

Normal: Oak = Help
Cruel: Kill All
Merc: Kill All

Gem Links:

4 link primary skill: Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Controlled Destruction + Faster Proj

5 link: Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Controlled Destruction + Faster Proj(if no jewels) + Rapid Decay (You can also use Slower Proj if you want).

6 link: (This assumes you have at least 30% proj speed from jewels or wand) Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Controlled Destruction + Rapid Decay + Poison + Pierce

I feel this set up is really, really strong. However with the bug fix to Poison and it's interaction with Essence Drain more than likely a level 3 and 4 Empower + level 20 / 21 Essence Drain will be far more damage. Essence Drain gains 300 base damage at level 24 and a massive 551 base damage at level 25! That's a lot!

Other gem links:

3 link #1: Righteous Fire + Increased burning Damage + Clarity (We only use RF for the spell damage buff, the damage is solid and helps a lot solo but is pretty meaningless while in groups.

3 link #2: Vulnerability + Purity of Fire + Arctic Armour

4 link #1: Abyssal Cry + Poison + Void Manipulation + Increased AoE (This is your powerhouse in group play, use it often!)

4 link #2: Spell Totem + Wither + Faster Casting + Increased AoE (I really only use this for bosses in high level maps it's not worth dropping any other time - however the slow that it provides is amazing and can be used with Temporal Chains for great effect)

4 link #3: Contagion + Increased Duration + Increased AoE + Enhance (Contagion is not meant to deal damage, we just want it to last as long as possible and have the greatest AoE coverage as possible - this gem set up gives us just that!)

Current Passive Tree (lvl 92/93): https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bYTdtZlKAtqNpisZC-gGh0GFaDCfnob56Cx0GHykrxsx2-tz5fsEtXM4eIWoPM_gqbtcDjA-5ewDwt8kXYvcM6hMXGroNfOuE1kongJIsLYa4-DF-mV_6P5lgPq69sZ5scp03jkx8Wv21saPLkUdSPU6VJE2qMtNEmlTY9tUh8S3wO8B9QRxku9W_IDGHinaobyHaClnSnVaIA7w7ZYcgUVUtsjM_d44RboASzFCCtjaLZjDZirPGKDkhDyMBmXz_PfrDYtMVd8rcw9kh2rMLsFAmMz8RYKlsTbT38gl4miFhjUuw=

Level 100: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bYTdtZlKAtqNpisZC-gGh0GFaDCfnob56Cx0GHykrxsx2-tz5fsEtXM4eIWoPM_gqbtcDjA-5ewDwt8kXYvcM6hMXGroNfOuE1kongJIsLYa4-DF-mV_6P5lgPq69sZ5scp03jkx8Wv21saPLkUdSPU6VJE2qMtNEmlTY9tUh8S3wO8B9QRxku9W_IDGHinaobyHaClnSnVaIA7w7ZYcgUVUtsjOOEW6AEsxQgrY2i2Yw2YqwOSEPIwGZfP89-sNi0xV3ytzBPBPZIdqzC7BQJjM_EWCpbE209_IJeJohYY1Lsz93xiqBCtoZXDfObaGU=

I feel like that's everything. If you have any questions or comments please leave a reply!
Last edited by Rainbowvomit on Dec 24, 2015, 4:15:03 PM
no video - no build
You can make your passive tree as link Passive Tree

you have to do it so (ofc you have to remove the blank space after "[" and befiore "]" at the end):

[ url="https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bYTdtZlKAtqNpisZC-gGh0GFaDCfnob56Cx0GHykrxsx2-tz5fsEtXM4eIWoPM_gqbtcDjA-5ewDwt8kXYvcM6hMXGroNfOuE1kongJIsLYa4-DF-mV_6P5lgPq69sZ5scp03jkx8Wv21saPLkUdSPU6VJE2qMtNEmlTY9tUh8S3wO8B9QRxku9W_IDGHinaobyHaClnSnVaIA7w7ZYcgUVUtsjM_d44RboASzFCCtjaLZjDZirPGKDkhDyMBmXz_PfrDYtMVd8rcw9kh2rMLsFAmMz8RYKlsTbT38gl4miFhjUuw="]Passive Tree[/url ]

But the build sounds pretty interesting. Can you provide a pic of your defense? And maybe make a video running a map?
You should consider using
"
TrueEdge wrote:
You can make your passive tree as link Passive Tree

you have to do it so (ofc you have to remove the blank space after "[" and befiore "]" at the end):

[ url="https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAt9bYTdtZlKAtqNpisZC-gGh0GFaDCfnob56Cx0GHykrxsx2-tz5fsEtXM4eIWoPM_gqbtcDjA-5ewDwt8kXYvcM6hMXGroNfOuE1kongJIsLYa4-DF-mV_6P5lgPq69sZ5scp03jkx8Wv21saPLkUdSPU6VJE2qMtNEmlTY9tUh8S3wO8B9QRxku9W_IDGHinaobyHaClnSnVaIA7w7ZYcgUVUtsjM_d44RboASzFCCtjaLZjDZirPGKDkhDyMBmXz_PfrDYtMVd8rcw9kh2rMLsFAmMz8RYKlsTbT38gl4miFhjUuw="]Passive Tree[/url ]

But the build sounds pretty interesting. Can you provide a pic of your defense? And maybe make a video running a map?

Oh, I didn't know that about the passive tree.

Also, I doubt I'll have a video posted. I stopped playing at about 93 as I had no real way to grow the character beyond a level 3 / 4 Empower and didn't feel like leveling one or buying one with the currency needing to go towards challenges.

As for defenses. It's pretty standard stuff.... 88% fire res 75% cold / light with capped res in maps. But getting over capped is just about your own gear nothing to do with the tree or build.

The defend comes from Lightning Coil + Arctic Armour + Insane life regen of being RF when you use a Ruby Flask also I'd recommend Taste of Hate. I just didn't buy one yet.

"
Xendran wrote:
You should consider using

I think those are absolutely horrible gloves for this build. You already lack the sockets for a pure mobility gem such as Flame Dash or Lightning Warp, so we need our high move speed.

Also I would rather be over capped in Ele Weakness maps than have some gloves with a bit of damage on them.

I think they're good gloves but I would never use them or recommend them for this build.

"
AISBERG wrote:
no video - no build

I mean, if that's how you feel so be it man. I'm not forcing anyone to try this build out. I just put all the information here for people interested in Essence Drain. Keep trolling forums though :^)
Last edited by Rainbowvomit on Dec 24, 2015, 3:08:00 PM
not trolling
rly build without video, cmon 2015!
Last edited by AISBERG on Dec 25, 2015, 3:16:57 AM
"
AISBERG wrote:
not trolling
rly build without video, cmon 2015!

meh
So let me get this straight...

You've not got Corruption cluster. You've not got Atrophy cluster. You've not got Fatal Toxins cluster. You've not gone low-life. You've not got full damage jewels. You've not even got a max damage gem setup (Pierce is not a damage support, Slower Proj would be).

And yet you STILL get 22.7k ED DoT damage?! All cos of what? Only RF, as far as I can see. Then RF is just stupid. There are builds that have got all of the above stuff (except for the low-life part) and STILL don't reach that number. One skill is trumping a quarter of a passive tree in damage. While still giving loads of life for survivability.

Nice! Dansgame. -_-
"
Exile009 wrote:
So let me get this straight...

You've not got Corruption cluster. You've not got Atrophy cluster. You've not got Fatal Toxins cluster. You've not gone low-life. You've not got full damage jewels. You've not even got a max damage gem setup (Pierce is not a damage support, Slower Proj would be).

And yet you STILL get 22.7k ED DoT damage?! All cos of what? Only RF, as far as I can see. Then RF is just stupid. There are builds that have got all of the above stuff (except for the low-life part) and STILL don't reach that number. One skill is trumping a quarter of a passive tree in damage. While still giving loads of life for survivability.

Nice! Dansgame. -_-

Corruption is a pretty bad cluster and Fatal Toxins wouldn't matter because Essence Drain does chaos damage, not poison.

RF is really good though. You're right. 20/20 RF is insane damage.
up

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info