[2.1] petit's Chaos Detonate Dead ~ Cheap and Easy 1 One hit KO Packs / Bosses

DD was dead because of the Elemental proliferation nerf and the reduced %corpse life damage. You now can get the same amount of damage, but without the crazy AoE burn that prolif gave you. However, the huge burst single target damage makes up for that.

Currently level 94 in Standard Talisman league.

Feel free to ask questions and stuff..

Build Focus:

- Increased Area of Effect
- Energy shield
- Chaos damage
- Damage over time

Pros
- Consistent damage throughout every map (same damage in Tier 1 and Tier 15)
- Relatively cheap equipement
- Can do every map mods and bosses
- Huge AoE damage burst (potentially 1 shotting Bosses)
- Speeds up party clear time by a huge margin (Abyssal Cry / Vaal DD)
- Clear speed above average (Might feel clunky at first)
- Aztiri yes! (uber, 100%)
- Chain reaction explosions feels good?

Cons
- Your damage is lowered in party play due to Monster life scaling
- Requires very good positioning to be efficient
- Requires two Uniques (3rd if you want more clearspeed)
- Might need a lot of chromes?

Gear

This is required for the build to work.

Gives you 25% damage that will be scaled.
Make sure you are over 35% mana after reserve so you don't get 1 shot by spells. Having the right mana flask will help you maintain it over " low mana "

Increased AoE talisman can be really helpful.

Chaos damage also adds up to poison DoT

Other talisman options --> Chaos damage, Energy shield%, Fire damage, 1 Socket

Rest of the gear
Energy Shield
Life
Resistances (You want chaos resist on some pieces)
Int Str Dex
Cast speed

Jewels: Chaos Damage / Damage --> 10% chaos 10% damage will also give you 20% damage overtime = 20% damage + 20% dot

Notable uniques:

Utility:
- Bino's Kitchen Knife, Slaughter Knife --> / Poison Spread / DoT damage / ES and or Life Regen on kill
- Carcass Jack, Varnished Coat --> AoE Radius / Damage
- Doedre's Damning, Paua Ring --> +1 Curse
- Rainbowstride, Conjurer Boots --> ES / Movespeed / Resist / Mana / Spell Block (paired up with Rumi's Concoction flask is great)

Damage
- Eldritch Knowledge, Cobalt Jewel --> Chaos dmg
- Natural Hierarchy, T3 Talisman --> Damage / Chaos dmg / Fire dmg
- Eyes of the Greatwolf, T4 Talisman --> Chaos dmg / Damage / Fire Dmg / AoE radius / ES / Life / Mana

Gems

4L 5L 6L

Must have: Detonate Dead --> Void Manipulation -> Concentrated Effect

Concentrated Effect can be removed if you want more AoE, but you will notice the damage drop
Faster Casting / Spell echo are great together
Increased AoE is fine if you don't need to cast twice
Poison gives you more DoT damage

Culling strike Damage (Cast speed on quality)
Life leech
Mana Leech
Blood Magic
Enhance

Personally fine with 5L, the sixth might mess up your mana.

You might want to switch to Spell echo for bosses and party play.
A lot of trade offs with different setups so feel free to change it to your preferences.

4L

Must have: Abyssal Cry --> Increased AoE --> Void Manipulation

You can use Concentrated Effect for more damage output, but it might be harder for monsters to be hit multiple times without the AoE. That's why I use Poison.

4L

Must have: Vaal DD --> Void manipulation

Concentrated effect will give you more burst.
Increased AoE will make it easier to hit monsters multiple time (Useless if you have good positioning)
2nd Vaal DD because sometimes one isn't enough.

3L

Desecrate --> Multiple traps --> Trap

You will run out of corpse with the self-cast Desecrate.
It is a good way to stack up corpses quickly to set up your Vaal Detonate Dead.

2L +other

Clarity --> Blood magic /Infernal Mantle makes you take 100% increased Spell damage when low on mana
Blasphemy --> Temporal Chains /Doubles the duration of the Poison DOT and slows monsters
Desecrate --> Faster Casting /You can use Spell echo with it if you feel like making 6 corpses instead of 3

Other gems:
Discipline

Flame Dash
Lightning Warp
Whirling Blades

Vulnerability
Enlighten?

Wither - Spell Totem - Faster casting ---> you will have to either ditch or have a lesser Vaal DD or Abyssal cry.

*Note: Spell totem Desecrate can be an option. It is better for really big packs and long boss fights. It's up to preferences. It shares the same cooldown as Selfcast desecrate so if you wanna split it, you will need to link it to Trap support gem.

CHROMING YOUR GEAR TIP: Use Vorici's guaranteed RED BLUE GREEN socket for 4 Chromatics each try. Or just get hybrid gear.

Flameblast?

Flameblast can be decent for long bosses fights if you don't like to desecrate DD

Link it with Controlled Destruction / Void Manipulation / Concentrated Effect
Faster casting if you want it in a 5L, but it is fine with 4L. Main problem with it is you have to stand still to charge it.

Why does this work?

Note: numbers are estimates and will vary.

- Detonate dead's Fire damage to Chaos damage.
- Take most Chaos damage nodes in the passive tree (couple AoE Damage, Elemental Damage and DoT)
- Scale that damage even higher with the new support gems.

- DD's damage is equal to 6% of the corpse's maximum life so you reach something around 65% of the monster's life.
- Chaos damage can poison (and it stacks). It does 10% damage of the hit per second (total 2 second) and is around 20%/s with scaling (chaos damage% adds to initial hit and poison DoT btw)

Examples: You explode a Zombie corpse and it hits another Zombie. You will do around 65% dmg of its life and then it will take 25% damage per second (40% of 65%).

Sometimes you will blow up Magic monsters which have more life. Sometimes, it's gonna be small monkeys on huge golems or the opposite.

TL;DR? you do proportional damage to monsters and map level doesn't matter.

*Monsters gain extra life for each additional party member after the first: 20% in Normal, 40% in Cruel, and 60% in Merciless. DD still scale of 1player monster life. That is why your damage is lowered in party play.

##################################################
Passive Tree

104 points

Bandits: Kill / Kill / Kill ---> feel free to take something else if you prefer.

Can start as Shadow if you wish. Saves you 1 point --> first passive on Witch tree is kinda mehh.

Rest of points goes into Chaos damage / Energy shield / Jewel Slots
You can get +1 curse if you wish
You don't need aura nodes if you don't plan on running Discipline + Curse on mana

Leveling

I took some chaos damage nodes and leveled with Essence Drain / Contagion.
You can probably find a guide out there that explains how to level with that build.

Optimal Stats

Average

2k Life / 4K ES
75% Fire Cold Light resist
30-40% Chaos resist

######################################

End-game

2.5k-3k Life / 6k ES+
75% All resist (+34% for Elemental weakness map)
50%+ Chaos resist

Life version

118 points
SHADOW ONLY

Do not go Life without:
- Lightning Coil chest
- EB/MoM
- Acrobatic / Evasion
- Iron Reflex? (out of the meta)
- Helping Oak in normal

What Life gets over ES Hybrid:
- Life flasks
- Less chance of getting stunned/shock/frozen

Possible item change:
- The Blood Dance, Sharkskin Boots --> Frenzy charge on kill (more damage) / Life %regen
- Lightning Coil, Desert Brigandine --> 30% Physical damage taken as Lightning
- Blood Rage gem --> Frenzy charge on kill

Eldritch Battery / Mind of Matter

You would ideally want 6k life with decent ES / Mana pool with Eldritch Battery and Mind over Matter. Not sure how it is when you take a huge burst of damage leaving you with no mana (Infernal Mantle making you take 100% increased spell damage).

The gear would be pretty much the same except, you might not care if it doesn't have top ES, but it HAS TO HAVE LIFE.

Acrobatic

Evasion Life gear.
Grace aura

If you want, you can grab Phase Acrobatics to dodge spells then maybe pair it with Atziri's Step boots for even more spell dodge.

Results

Potential stats

EB/MoM --> 7.8k EHP 6k life / 2k ES - 500 mana (after reserve)
Acrobatic --> 6k life 30-40% Dodge attacks (and spell?) 35% avoid attacks

ES/Life --> 8k EHP 2.5k life / 6.5k ES *Note: That is without a shield and top end ES gear will easily net you +2000 ES

Atziri Specific

Self casting is alright, but I'm convinced that you can get way more damage by using Trap gems + passives. You're not gonna be doing consistent damage because you'll be dodging Atziri's spells.

Trap
Trap & Mine Damage
DD
Void Manipulation
Concentrated Effect
Poison or Culling Strike

You should have around 75% MORE damage and 150% damage from passives nodes.
Self casting is still faster for maps

Current Setup

Shadow thread
Last edited by PetitCaca on Jan 9, 2016, 8:29:32 PM
Try to use flameblast. Comments on the results (google translator)
"
thiago0423 wrote:

I don't see any use of using flameblast. I'm already 1 shotting packs.

For solo play, it's just fine. You'll be relying on monsters being grouped up together to clear packs with Bino's. You will waste time when they aren't. Single target looks really good but I wouldn't stand still for 4 seconds with Dominus ghost-lazer'ing my ass.

In a party, you might be flameblasting and then woops, someone killed a mob inside your flameblast or behind it making a gap --> rip poison spread. You'll have to run ahead of the group or something to confirm your damage.

With DD, the damage is instant after the first desecrate. You don't need Bino's kitchen knife and packs are still cleared smoothly. Level 4 Empower gem, fancy Iron Will gear / Spell damage. You get all you need from your tree.

/edit : Could potentially remove Vaal DD and use this for Single Target. You just don't full screen clear and stuff on strongbox.
Last edited by PetitCaca on Dec 18, 2015, 3:46:57 PM
"
PetitCaca wrote:
"
thiago0423 wrote:

I don't see any use of using flameblast. I'm already 1 shotting packs.

For solo play, it's just fine. You'll be relying on monsters being grouped up together to clear packs with Bino's. You will waste time when they aren't. Single target looks really good but I wouldn't stand still for 4 seconds with Dominus ghost-lazer'ing my ass.

In a party, you might be flameblasting and then woops, someone killed a mob inside your flameblast or behind it making a gap --> rip poison spread. You'll have to run ahead of the group or something to confirm your damage.

With DD, the damage is instant after the first desecrate. You don't need Bino's kitchen knife and packs are still cleared smoothly. Level 4 Empower gem, fancy Iron Will gear / Spell damage. You get all you need from your tree.

/edit : Could potentially remove Vaal DD and use this for Single Target. You just don't full screen clear and stuff on strongbox.

I'll try this build, thanks (I'm dd fan)
"
thiago0423 wrote:

You're getting the same nodes I'm taking, but not efficiently. Some stuff like spell damage does not work for DD.

I have 4 times more es than you do.

Half update: Might make good use of Flameblast for single target. Need to play with it more tho. Good call.
Last edited by PetitCaca on Dec 18, 2015, 8:28:15 PM
bandits?
and do u go mom/eb later?
"
bandits?
and do u go mom/eb later?

Kill kill kill.
It really is up to you tho.

I'm Life ES. Never mentioned eb anywhere.

Feel free to do a LIFE version. I personnally don't like life builds atm.
did u killed attziri with that build?
i wonder what u are doing if u dont have corpses to cast DD
"
Ehryzona wrote:
did u killed attziri with that build?
i wonder what u are doing if u dont have corpses to cast DD

Yeah, Spell Echo Desecrate so I can DD comfortably . Took me under a minute.

You also can 1 shot her with Vaal DD, but uh I'm not sure how many Clone phases she has to go through before she can die. So it's possible to do the Vaal gems trick and store it in inventory.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info