Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[2.0+] Kallihun: CI freezing tremor rod arc mines (atziri+grandmaster capable)

I've been asked by a few people already to make a build guide for my freezing arc miner. I'm going to give the basics below, mostly short and without anything fancy in terms of layout.

I've been playing this build since about halfway through warbands. Me and friend from guild decided to make tremor rod miners after he discovered how cheap a near perfect tremor rod was. His miner revolved around fireball + vaal clarity. My plan was CI + lightning warp + flasks for mana. Lightning warp mines turned out to be viable (with high gem level, totally unviable with low gem level) and an insane mana hog, but arc proved better in almost every situation, while requiring less mana and freeing up a bunch of passive nodes, so I stuck with arc.

The Tree

My equipment:
Typical pve setup:
Spoiler

Common pve/pvp swaps:
Spoiler
Swap discipline and arctic armor with herald of ice and wrath.
Swap 1 Call of the Brotherhood ring with Dream fragments.
Unequip spell totem and frost wall.

Flasks:
Spoiler

What makes it tick:
2 Call of the Brotherhood rings:
Spoiler
I've often been asked why I use 2 call of the brotherhood rings instead of 1 in pve, since I lose the possibility of shocking.

In my experience my average/median damage with arc was not enough to consistently freeze+shock tough mobs (generally unique map bosses) with split damage types. If I could not initiate shocks myself, it was better to go 100% cold and so I could more consistently freeze these mobs.

With 100% lightning to cold conversion, my damage also takes the full benefit of the increased cold damage modifiers I have on tree and gear.

Detonate totem + detonate cwdt + tremor rod = pretty smooth gameplay:
Spoiler
While playing I will be constantly laying mines to keep up my flask usage, so my mana pool doesn't fill up and my flasks don't end prematurely. To be able to keep on laying mines while moving, I use lightning warp. For safety, I always try to not warp outside the mine trigger distance, so that if something attacks me at my new position, the mine at my last position will trigger and chill/freeze or kill the mob(s) attacking me at my new position. At my current position I place a totem that will keep triggering mines till all mobs around are dead.

With tremor rod, mines explode twice. The sequence per mine is as follows: I lay the mine, the mine deploys (fixed 0.5s, longer than the laying speed with tremor rod), the totem triggers the mine almost instantly, the mine redeploys (fixed 0.5s), the totem triggers it. When their are no more enemies around the totem, the remaining mines will not be triggered and I can warp to my next location with them as backup behind me.

Maximizing freezing in groups:
Spoiler
The maximum damage with my build can be achieved with:
Vaal clarity spam so reduced mana can be swapped for empower;
Running heralds of thunder+ice, while relying on aura build wrath;
Curser multicursing for you: assassin's mark > frostbite > elemental weakness > temporal chains.I've never been in a situation where all of these were present at the same time, but fortunately it's not needed with most map mods.

I suspect that in the past I have underestimated the effectiveness of the modifier increased freeze duration on enemies. It would be very interesting to build for this and see how far the freezing part of the build can be pushed.

More to come when I think of things + when I have time to write them down. Mine specific mechanics/issues come to mind.

My leveling history:
Early levels:
Spoiler
If I remember correct I leveled till 45 using a mix of lightning tendrils, zombies and flame totem. I usually prefer to level using the skill I plan on using at endgame, but this build was planned and revolved around the min level 45 tremor rod unique.

Mid levels:
Spoiler
I leveled from level 45 to 80+ using a 5l tremor rod from my friend, while I worked on fusing mine to 6l. I play tested some with lightning warp initially, but it turned out not too work with low gem level cause of the delayed cast, so I leveled with arc mines mostly (I tested every gem I could get my hands up, spark would be a real contender if built for). Once my lightning warp gems were high enough in level, I tried again with mines and discovered that arc mines were better in almost all situations, so I reset my area nodes and went for more damage.

Since I had started this character late in league, white 5l es chests were pretty cheap and it's easy to craft a decent one, so I could switch to CI early (at around level 50 I switched to CI, with the 2 passive points from lunaris temple and a first quick and dirty 5l es craft).

For survival I tried to always use stun belts and added cold so my arc could atleast chill mobs.

With the 5l tremor rod I did not use a reduced mana gem, so I really struggled with mana often, even with the best mana flasks per level, so I got a belt with mana flask modifier. To spam spells relying on mana flasks alone, it needed regular finetuning of mana cost vs recharge. I used -cost jewels and clarity for this finetuning.

High levels:
Spoiler
I started pvping with this build during the early 70s, when warbands 1v1 was still being dominated by poison arrow (I met 5 in a row on my first day, and I only lost to the 5th cause he switched to ea).
When I was in the 70s I acquired 2 call of the brotherhood unique rings (1 drop, 1 from friend), changing my arc to 100% cold damage. At this point I started stacking both increased lightning and increased cold modifiers, lowering my damage through the loss of shock, but drastically increasing defence by having freezing arcs.
At about 85 I considered my build finished and everything extra was more icing on the cake.

Hall of Grandmasters:
Spoiler
I've done 1 attempt at the Hall of Grandmasters map with my build. My intention was to give up on a hallway after dying twice to the same exiles. I managed to fully clear (from bottom left to upper right) the 1st, 3rd and 4th hallway. The 2nd and 5th hallways I died at the last waves. With more experience, I'm pretty sure I could clear it entirely.

My mistakes when doing it:
Running frostwall is a liability there because of the all the lightning arrow exiles.
I should withdraw sooner when there's 2 or more exiles who survived my first damage spike. Try to split them and kill them more safely.

Atziri:
Spoiler
Similarly as with Hall of Grandmasters, I have done 1 attempt with this build to see if I could do it. And I managed with 3 deaths, which I consider not bad for me, since it has been ages since I had done atziri.

The dangerous parts:
Double vaal could potentially oneshot me with laser when going full dps. [0 deaths]

When facing the trio, A'Alai is best killed first. I had thought that she would be squishiest and that if I attacked head on, she would die first, but it turns out I was wrong. So the best tactic is probably to lure the other 2 away and kill A'Alai alone. [1 death] The melee ones can probably be killed with kiting and laying mines+totem in ambush, but I fought them warping around them so I could keep track of how I hard I hit them. [+1 death]

With the atziri fight itself, the most dangerous part is the stage between entering and killing her the first time. Upon entering the distance is too large for the arc of the mines to reach her. So I needed to warp around her room laying mines, whittling her down. I made the mistake of starting this stage in full dps setup. [+1 death]
After dying I went back in with arctic armor + discipline on, kited more properly and got to the next stage. The split stages died instantly to the damage from 7 mines. The single stages lived through the first hit of 7 mines, but died soon after. I should probably try again sometime to see if I can instakill her in offensive setup.
Last edited by RunawayFixer on Jan 18, 2016, 3:34:05 PM
the idea is cool but u forgot the passive skill tree :P
The tree is there, look for the link called "the tree". It's also not optimised yet for 2.1 yet: I should get the missing dexterity on gear & with the extra mana we have now, the reduced mana balance of gems/jewels/passives could be different. In PvP with block gem for instance, I have to use iron will instead of reduced mana cause my flasks run out otherwise.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info