need clarification on linked gems

so my main is a level 40 witch and supports and linked sockets are getting really important now. i primarily use cold snap, but don't have gear with a ton of linked sockets. to get around this i linked multiple ranks of cold snap to different support gems in different gear.

my robes have cold snap linked to faster casting and increased critical strike chance.

my scepter has cold snap linked to increased critical damage.

my armguard has cold snap linked to added cold damage.

all the cold snap gems are different levels, but i was wondering if when i cast the highest level cold snap, do all of the support skills affect it, or only the ones that particular gem is linked to?

the skill section on the website leads me to believe all support gems effect all ranks of the gem, but when i try to gauge my dps on the character sheet in game, it only shows the individual cold snap gems and the effect that only their linked socket has.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 4, 2012, 8:45:40 PM
The skill section is outdated.

A few patches ago, they changed it so each individual skill has its own supports. So in your case you actually have 3 different cold snaps that do different things. If you want all of the support gems to affect the same skill then you need a 5 socket piece of equipment.
This was changed recently to be gem-specific. You'll have three different cold snaps, all that do something different. You can see the letters on the Skills list, they tell you which support gem you have.

Edit: Will make a note to update that Skill section!
Balance & Design
Last edited by Rory on Dec 18, 2011, 11:06:35 PM
damn. had a feeling that was the case. thanks.
Yes it was a sad face day for me too when this was changed.
I actually like this change. It means that you can use different gems on the same skill to customize the skill for different situations and uses. Imagine your cold snap totem, your expanded area of effect cold snap, and your high intensity low range cold snap with extra damage. All three are different, and working together you could keep things very, very, frozen.
"
JohnChance wrote:
I actually like this change. It means that you can use different gems on the same skill to customize the skill for different situations and uses. Imagine your cold snap totem, your expanded area of effect cold snap, and your high intensity low range cold snap with extra damage. All three are different, and working together you could keep things very, very, frozen.

Mind. Blown.

The skill system is now even more customizable than before. Even a minor tweak like this adds more depth to the game. This game rocks my socks off.
Last edited by Axebane on Jul 4, 2012, 8:16:18 PM
"
JohnChance wrote:

"
Axebane wrote:
"
JohnChance wrote:

Mind. Blown.

The skill system is now even more customizable than before. Even a minor tweak like this adds more depth to the game. This game rocks my socks off.
You do realise this is an old thread, right?
This change was made last year - the skill system has worked this way since before either of your accounts were registered. I'm going to lock this thread now so it'll drop off the front page again to avoid confusing other players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info