[2.1] I AFK to clear maps

This is a proof of concept. There are many options available for further improvement, which have been noted where possible, but if you wanted to see my personal GG endgame gear, sorry, don't have GG endgame gear. Also, I reserve the right to stop updating this next patch (2.2) because I've specced the character into something else.

No video available. Sorry. I'll see what I can do, but it won't happen soon.

If you have a question relevant to the build, please post it in the thread instead of spamming my forum PM inbox. You might get sage advice from other people who are also following the build, in addition to my response. And I get free publicity, so it's a win-win situation. Thank you for your cooperation.

This guide is valid for HC and SC. Proof by construction since I played it on HC exactly as listed.

Guide below is current as of 2.1. Let me know if I missed anything.

What and why?
It's a trigger gems build. I sit in the middle of things and don't die. Mostly. Almost killed a guy in PvP by just AFKing, heh.

Pros and Cons
Pros
- Incredibly tanky
- Easy to play

Cons
- Relatively slow clear speed
- Terrible single target (you don't die, it's just really slow)

Skills and Supports
If you can, get quality on Vengeance, Reckoning and Riposte. Chance to trigger is amazingly important.

Vengeance - Reckoning - Melee Physical Damage - Bloodlust - Conc.E - AoE
Riposte - Melee Splash - Melee Physical Damage - Bloodlust
Static Strike - Fortify - ECoMS - MPD
Reduced Mana - Herald of Ash - Determination
Cast when Damage Taken - (Immortal Call) - Chaos Golem
Tempest Shield - Curse on Hit - Punishment/Vulnerability/Enfeeble/Warlord's Mark
Leap Slam, Rallying Cry
Vaal Cyclone for lulz

You might be wondering about Bloodlust. Bloodlust is a really big damage modifier, see. I use static strike to pick up fortify and end charges and apply bleed via Jack, the Axe. It doesn't have to be static strike, I just like static strike. It does have to apply bleed. If you're super lazy, you can drop the whole normal attack thing and have riposte apply bleed instead.

The Conc.E AoE setup was...well, I had a corrupt 6L in those colours, you know? Anything that boosts damage will work, so Added Fire, or something.

Pretty much everything else is just there for the damage. Except Determination, that's there to give me 20k+ armour on a regular day.

Let's talk about Punishment. That's something you don't see every day. You don't want Enfeeble until you get Unwavering Stance, because this build scales off of getting hit and Enfeeble reduces accuracy. You don't want Temp Chains at all, because it reduces the number of hits on you. For damage curses, it's either Punishment or Vulnerability, and I prefer the former - it gives you a damage boost on all enemies, not just cursed ones. If you're having trouble getting leech and/or end charges, consider Warlord's Mark.

Rallying Cry for damage and mana regen. If you find that you aren't getting end charges from your attack of choice, then feel free to replace with Enduring Cry.

A note on Immortal Call, right now I'm self casting it (when I can be bothered to), but it can really go either way.

Build
This character can be built from a Marauder, Duelist or Scion start. I picked Scion for access to block nodes at her starting location...and haven't taken them yet, at level 80+, go figure.

Remember, all of the build links are SUGGESTED builds, and you should always seek to tailor a build to your own play style, available gear and acceptable level of risk.

Leveling up, first pick up HP...and more HP...and even more HP...well, what did you expect? Then get RT. We're eventually speccing out of some of those points (see final tree below), but RT is important.

Start working on joining the dots so you can spec out of the connecting points to RT.

After that, all other points fall somewhere along this path, so pick and choose which ones you want/need at the time based on your character's progression.

120 generic points

Because I didn't want to work too hard, I am using Jack, the Axe. Thus, I can take axe nodes such as Splitting Strike. I mean, I didn't because there wasn't a reason to, but if you want to, you can.

Bandit rewards
Normal: 40 HP (Oak)
Cruel: 18% IPD or skill point (Oak or kill all, respectively)
Merciless: Endurance Charge or skill point (Oak or kill all, respectively)

Items
You almost always want an item that will apply bleed. There's a Vagan mod at level 7, but the absolute easiest way to resolve this is Jack, the Axe. Which also comes with heaps of life leech, which you also want.
Stats:
- HP, resists, high armour and/or evasion
- Life leech

Options:
- Take a dual curse unique. There are multiple effective curses on this build.

Uniques good for the build:
- Jack, the Axe
- Stone of Lazhwar, Rainbowstrides, if you aren't the ascendancy class with the spellblock that is.
- Empire's Grasp is practically common sense. Pull things closer to you so you can trigger on them all.
- On a budget, go with Lioneye's Remorse, a 1c shield with 1.5k armour and life.
- Not on a budget, you can give some thought to Aegis Aurora.

As always, the list is not exhaustive and common sense is recommended.

Leveling up
Plays as your average melee build. No, really. Vengeance will do well here, and as your block chance increases you can add Reckoning and Riposte.

Playstyle
Hit tempest shield, wade into pack, hit rallying cry, use attack skill. All steps are optional. Even wading in - if you wait long enough, they'll probably come to you.

Different directions you can take the build
I've been giving a lot of thought to this one. One thing I was considering is Vulnerability on hit Empire's Grasp, Death's Oath. Another thing I was considering is Zahndethus' Cassock for the consecrated ground, as though I wasn't already hard enough to kill. Lightbane Raiment, well, I looked up the relevant numbers, and thank you but no thank you.

Q&A
What gear are you using?
My current gear

How's the build working out for you?
Well, I was talking to my guildie about stupid ways to die, and he mentioned Vaal Cyclone and "that bloodline mod with the explosions after they die". So when I next went into a map, and saw Flame Bearers, the next steps were obvious. RIP Kiri, doing stupid things on HC since 2013.

I have since finished play testing on SC and can do 76 and higher maps with ease, if not great speed. Usually I don't bother with anything but tempest shield and walking into packs, and I don't always notice when tempest shield runs out because I wasn't paying attention to move on from a dead pack.

About the author
Kiri is a reroll addict with a penchant for big numbers, less popular skills, and building around specific items and playstyles.

Kiri is happy to take PMs and in-game questions. Streaming-on-request not available right now.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Last edited by Kirielis on Dec 22, 2015, 9:38:55 PM
No change for 2.1. I swear this is the first time I've had a character make it through a forced reset.
Just wanted to say that I'm playing this build right now. Lvl 52 and it's a ton of fun. I love tanky dmg. Just bought a Lightbane and its working well.
Thanks for the fun build.
Why haven't you taken the "Command of Steel" node near the Duelist starting area in your passive tree, as well as the block chance nodes at the very start ? Do you think "Bloodletting" and "Fending" are good nodes to pick up ? Also, what should i prioritize while leveling in terms of going through the tree ? You also talk about getting Unwavering Stance but it's not selected in your tree. Is that because you've chosen to go for Iron Reflexes which puts you at 0 evasion ?
Last edited by Azrash on Dec 22, 2015, 7:27:22 PM
>Why not Command of Steel?

LOL. That's just the skill tree exactly as she had it...Command of Steel would have been the next one up. I'll fix that.

>Why not the block chance nodes at start?

Because I started taking block at level 50ish because I had a nice 2h axe from the guild stash that I was leveling with. So I had other options for block nodes to take. In other words, it's just how that character happened to turn out. Those nodes are definitely on my to-do-list though.

>Bloodletting

No, that's a DoT specific cluster. We do apply bleed (if you aren't lazy), but not very MUCH of it, so not really worth taking this cluster. The point of us applying bleed is for the multiplier from Bloodlust.

>Fending

The last thing you want to do is knock dudes out of your AoE. Take this node only if you have Empire's Grasp and really nothing better to do.

>Leveling priorities

Ah, this one is up to you, but I really need to do up that section for 2.1...you can check the first post for suggested leveling builds now, but let me re-emphasise that it's only a suggestion.

>Unwavering Stance?

Makes no difference to me whether I get stunned or not. Since I took IR, I have only the base 5% chance to evade, and there's not a huge difference between 95% and 100% to take a hit...US is nice but it's not a super big thing like it is for CI or LL builds, ya know?
Okay, thanks for the answer! And yeah, i was asking about Fending with Empire's Grasp but i assume it's not worth picking it up even then.
What level of CWDT do you use or is it maxed ?
Edit: Nevermind, saw your gear.
Last edited by Azrash on Dec 25, 2015, 7:04:19 PM
Hello,

I saw this build and it looked pretty awesome. i've always been interested in a build like this since i started POE.

I'm currently trying this out with some different items and small passive changes.
I really don't know if they are improvements or not but i just took them because i wanted to. I'm trying out Aegis Aurora, but not sure if going Lioneye's or a pure armor shield would be better. I'll have to buy one when i'm not broke as hell. Not sure if Aegis is even worth it but would like to know anyone's input as i've never owned one and spent all my currency to get mine.

Also I am in HC Talisman and been leveling in Merciless dried lake no problem and have been able to complete a few Zana missions with ease albeit slow.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAO4FLQY5CTMM9w3NFCAVIBm0GjgaPhutHM4e3yLiJy8qTStQLOktgy_MNZI8LT0PPeI9_D8nQKBHfkfiSO5KyE1GTeNPVlBHUWBYY1nzXz9i7GVNZ5tuqnKpdO14rnk5eu97w3zZfXV-4oLkg1-DzITZhO-Gs4qvjM-QEZBVpDmplayqrK-uPq-nsbOzP7Xytz69Nr6nvrzAv8GCxPbGrtE2037YvdrB4izkUenV7w7vevMG9kj2o_cy-6r-Cv5U_o_-ug==?accountName=guamlegend&characterName=ScionDeseNutz

Currently using Empire's grasp right now because all my other gloves suck. Waiting for a pure armor upgrade for my gloves/chest.
Spoiler

i'll post some of my weaksauce stats and a video if i can figure out how to.
I'd like to see any variations of this build or improvements that can be made as it is so fun. All this lag recently in POE has made me love this build much more as sometimes I get huge lag spikes i know my guy will be safe, for the most part.
Last edited by guamlegend on Jan 5, 2016, 8:14:13 PM
Here's a quick video i made. first time making one so i know it probably sucks.

Also would like to mention that i tried out Doryani's fist hoping that it would be better just focusing on tempest shield. turns out it sucks the dps was too low and not enough aoe compared to vengeance/reck/rip.

https://youtu.be/bV-i8WmgV30 - dried lake

https://youtu.be/iDtodYTzXKU - failed zana mission lol

not sure how to insert pictures so whatever.

4.2k HP/1,321 ES (with disc on)
7260 armour ( determination on)
maxed res.
74% block with tempest shield/ 56% spell block
Last edited by guamlegend on Jan 6, 2016, 12:47:24 AM
That's pretty sweet! Going into the Ranger start area is a really good idea, that place has some amazing nodes. Your armour is pretty low for this build or any Aegis build, though - normally I'd expect to see at least 20k with Determination, especially with how Aegis works. Some of it is probably because you have less %armour nodes, too. Have you tried Grace to see which one's better for you?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info