Computer upgrade time?

I built this computer probably 5 years ago, so it's not surprising that I might be due for an update or two.

Current specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU e6850 @ 3.00 GHz
4.00 Gb Ram
64 bit Win 8.1 (fresh format and install last week)
OCZ Vertex3 60Gb SSD

GPU(Radeon R7 260X) or (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti) seems to get similar performance from either one.

Monitor is a 39" 1080P 120hz HDTV

Wireless keyboard and mouse, cable internet over wifi (also tried hooking it up with an ethernet cable, same performance)

Seems like the system always ran fairly ok before I took a 3-4 month break from POE but since I've been back it's been pretty much unplayable. It will typically be ok for a while and then it goes to single digit FPS for several minutes at a time. I have even seen frame times longer than 2.5 seconds a few times... I thought maybe windows 10 was killing me so I did a clean re-installation of windows 8.1 but that didn't improve anything.

What are my worst offenders here? I'd like to get this thing in shape before the new league starts and am hoping at least some of my hardware is still decent so I don't have to rebuild the whole darn computer.
Well the CPU is probably the limiting factor in the build, but even with that cpu, you should be getting better results than you describe. When in game, have GPUz running in the background. Have the sensors section up. When you are seeing the fps dips, Alt + tab out and see if the GPU core and memory frequencies have suddenly dropped below their expected clock rates.

When you see the poor results, is it when there is a lot 'going on' on screen? Or is it random?

For the R7 260x, keep an eye ont he fan speeds if you are running the new 'Crimson' drivers. There is a known issue where it isn't spinning up the fans properly under load.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
The performance dips seem somewhat random. They will happen predictably in heavy action but they can also start with next to nothing going on. GPU-Z shows instant spikes as expected but I'm seeing very light loading most of the time.

I can try to attach a log file but it gets long in a hurry and I'm not sure if you'll be able to see anything useful from that.

GAH! Looks like Bill Gates got me with his evil windows firewall. Still lags with the FW disabled but maybe not quite as bad and the lag isn't persistent like it had been. I think it feels pretty much like it did before I stopped playing POE.

No doubt the trouble all began when I loaded up win 10 and forgot about the damned firewall. I think I'll do a processor and ram upgrade and everything should be just fine.
Don't think it was the firewall after all. Seems like my SSD was on it's way out. Do those get weird before they quit? I would have expected it to be either perfect or dead...

I got my new Haswell i3 4150 CPU, motherboard and 16Gb of ram installed but during the process of getting everything tuned up though the system decided it wasn't going to boot anymore. After installing an older HDD and looking at the SSD it said that drive was corrupted.

Whatever the problem was, I was finally able to run some maps today without any bad framerate drops. First time in quite a while, so now I'm ready and stoked for the Talisman league!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info