Running PoE on skylake CPU without a GPU

Does anyone have experience running PoE on a skylake system without a GPU installed in the computer? I have read that the new skylake integrated gpu is as good as a mid-range card...

I'm trying to get my skylake pc set up before the next 3-month, so if I need to buy a GPU I have to do so in the next couple of days. People often say PoE is less demanding of graphics hardware than many other games, so was thinking maybe I could still get 30-40 fps without a GPU. I do want to avoid big FPS drops at bosses, in parties etc..

My basic system is going to be: 4 GHz skylake i7 6700k cpu, 16 gb RAM, 256 gb SSD.

I was going to get something like an nvidia 960 2gb, but was worried I'd need a 970 to see an improvement over the cpu. The 970 is $200 more expensve than the 960..

Last bumped on Sep 20, 2016, 5:34:33 AM
PoE is kind of demanding on the GPU because of it's poor optimization.
Also, i don't really recommend to buy a new gen CPU right at the start, since there could be some complications.
You seem to have a decent budget. I'd shift some of it over to the GPU by getting a 6600k, and not the 6700k, unless you absolutely need an i7 for some reason. A GTX 960 should be enough. I run an HD6950 and my FPS didn't drop to unplayable frame rates when my and my friend both played Barrage CoC.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Nov 30, 2015, 12:23:08 AM
Skylake GPU is a joke if you want to compare it to a 970 or even a 960.

Definitely go for a 6600k or non k (most people don't need to overclock cpus anyway) and get a 970. drop to i5 if you want even.

I got a 6700k and the integrated graphics is very poo poo :P in comparison to any higher end modern GPU refresh.
I am sending you this message to let you know that I have removed your signature as it is designed to mislead others. Please refrain from using similar signatures in the future. - Rob_GGG
I kinda upgraded my rig just because of PoE and it turned out really well for me.

I'm using i5 6600k with a new ssd and the upgrade was so useful for me.

As the gpu part you mentioned, I couldn't buy a new gpu and still using 9600 GT. That card is old, I know. I'm too afraid to try cast on crit or mjölner setups right now, so I'm avoiding high graphic builds.

Currently playing with Vaal GS build and it wasn't really a problem this far. Just saying this so you can compare. Maybe VGS is not really graphic dependant, I don't know.

Also, tried screen shake once; the result is, you just don't try screen shake :P

P.S. I'm a solo player.
I never found out if POE was more cpu or gpu intensive but i can tell you that pretty much any system will go to 5 fps if you shatter a large enough pack with herald of ice.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I run on a cpu only windows tablet and it runs great at 720p, even better than grim dawn for some reason. (sans obvious fps crashing moments)
"
Nephalim wrote:
I never found out if POE was more cpu or gpu intensive but i can tell you that pretty much any system will go to 5 fps if you shatter a large enough pack with herald of ice.

Deffo more GPU intensive than CPU.
"
CyberCrow wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

Deffo more GPU intensive than CPU.

This is not correct.
For a gaming PC the GPU should be the main focus in terms of % of your budget. Especially given what you're aiming for without a dedicated GPU (including a ~500$ CPU), I don't know why you would go for the integrated chipset, even if it's decent. Unless you really need an i7, I'd just go with a ~250-300$ i5 and get a GTX970 (they sell for 300-310 if you're not buying overpriced).
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Nov 30, 2015, 11:35:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info