Keep dying no matter what I do

I don't know what I'm doing wrong at this point. I've tried most builds out, gone completely defensive, completely Offensive, most hybrid forms, run Full armour, Full ES, Full evasion, and the hybrid of those as well. I keep my gear pretty well up to date as I level (including resist rings and pots).

But, without fail I rip. I've yet to make it past the first quest in act 4 Normal. I normally die way before then anyways.

Is there some secret technique I'm missing out on? and I just so shit at the game I should stop?

The only thing I know for sure is I'm sick of dying.

Last edited by staticblades on Nov 27, 2015, 1:53:18 PM
First advice, unhide your characters from other players so they can review them.

Makes it a lot easier to suggest potential tips and changes.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : go to "home" -> "my account" --> "privacy settings" ---> unclick "hide characters"
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Nov 27, 2015, 1:30:48 PM
OKay unhid the character, Don't know why they were hid in the first place to be honest. The 3 ones in standard had started in HC but died at somewhat high level and I just haven't been able to delete them yet since they had gotten so far relative to what I have achieved so far. the one in HC currently is a failed idea that I haven't been motivated to erasing yet and can pretty much be ignored.

Quick edit I forgot to mention is that in the deleted section, just for the past week, you'd see about 15 different characters ranging from level 13 to level 30ish.
Last edited by staticblades on Nov 27, 2015, 1:36:05 PM
From a quick glance, your rushing damage to fast to early.

In normal you can do perfectly fine with a 3-linked weapon with a +1 level roll on it for spells(you can make these yourself, check the vendor recipes on the path of exile wikipedia site)

For melee there is a rustic belt recipe that allows you to craft %physical damage on a weapon piece.

Prioritize life rolls on gear and in the passive tree early on.

End of normal difficulty : 1000hp +-
cruel : 2000+-
merciless : 3000+-

All of these depends on the character in question though (defenses and melee vs ranged, where obviously a melee needs to be beefier)

You also need to stack your resistances to 75% at all times if possible.(arguably you can do fine with lower resistances in normal if you swap in resistance rings for boss fights etc)

Vs merveil on normal for example its common practice to just equip a %gold resistance ring when you go kill her.(you can do the same in cruel and merciless if you struggle)

but be aware at all times that 75% is the baseline threshold the game is balanced around damage wise.
So if your in merciless with 40% fire resistance, pay extra attention to fire dealing sources etc.

I usually keep some extra rings in my stash with a heavy single resistance orientation, to swap when required.(running sins = pick lightning resistance gear etc)

Aditional tips :

Golems help to agro
curses help
decoy totem is a real bro
movement speed skill is extremely helpfull

You can also check some beginner guides on youtube from like ZiggyD to simply get an idea of how to approach certain things. I think they are very helpful for new or struggling players.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Have you tried going full def alá https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/868996? It's a cheap build. I can stand still for a day while mobs hit me, don't care about ID strongboxes, face tank carnage and weaver, just don't care. Not the best damage though, so it goes abit slow compared to other builds I've tried.

Also, ComradeSerge has made a great guide for the build.

''It was nice but not really great'' in memory of rondanashu 13.4.2016
I'm not an PoE pro, rather casual.

But from looking at your highest char, my guess is: You need far more +Life from gear.

I played a Ranger solo selffound to Lvl 75 2 years ago in the HC perm. League.
My advice from my own little experiance to other non-veteran players trying HC is: Better farm content you're some levels above, as there are sometimes mobs in this game with unusal damage spikes. (I died yesterday with a SF HC Ranger due to just 3 sec screen freeze while encountering a Unique Mob in Act 4)
I have found the number one thing to help my survivability is actually racing.

I noticed you have 0 points in the current race season.
It doesn't really matter which race you try; any will help.

My thoughts behind this:
(sorry in advance for wall of text!)
Spoiler
Racing will throw you into many risky and stressful situations with very little survivability: no armor, very low life, no resistances, etc.

You will die a lot, and you will be frustrated with the amount of failures that come, but as you practice more and more it will teach you situational awareness.

Situational awareness means becoming skilled at manually avoiding damage, not running yourself into tight corners, time, space, flask, skill and gear management on the fly, and generally learning what risks are acceptable and which will lead to an untimely death.

I am no racing pro, but since dabbling in races for the past year or so it has taught me to become a far riskier and cautious player (yes, a very strange combo, but it works beautifully together).

As a result of this, I can now level very quickly with straight dps passives, no resistances, and only a small amount of life on gear until around level 50, at which point I start grabbing defensive stats in order to be ready for maps (although I'm in standard, so you probably don't want to go to this extreme in HC).

For your first season of racing, just make a goal to get the 10 point prize. This is very attainable now that dead characters receive points. Once you get that, it will become addicting: First you will wonder how to stay alive longer. Once you've mastered that, you will wonder how to level up faster. These two things just keep working to build you into a better player, which will translate over into your normal play on your HC characters.

Let me know if you need any racing tips or have a look around the forums for some helpful guides.

Best of luck!

Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
"
I'm not an PoE pro, rather casual.

But from looking at your highest char, my guess is: You need far more +Life from gear.

This is what's happening, right here. LeadenKing has 0 life from gear and 2 mana flasks, which should not be necessary for the build. Also, defenses on gear are not meaningful if you're not scaling it.

LeadenKing's build setup is also rather poor. Arc is a bad leveling skill this patch -- the density of A4N will just shit on you if your Arc is only bouncing 2 or 3 times, and the Crit support gems are strictly inferior to raw damage gems at low levels. It's kind of sad since Arc used to be a perfectly reasonable leveling skill, but Act 4 did a lot of kinda crappy things to leveling in this game.

You also don't have any totems in your setup, which are always great to have around at low levels since they both provide a distraction and deal damage while you're moving around. Since you don't get any as a Shadow, though, it may be worthwhile to run a Witch through the Mud Flats to mule a Flame Totem over to your next shadow. That's generally a theme with all of early leveling -- Enemy HP is low, so just throw down abilities that do damage while you move. Top of the list are Firestorm, Fire Trap, and Flame Totem.
Last edited by XCodesLIVE on Nov 27, 2015, 8:24:22 PM
Me and my rare advices...

It does not matter how many times you die if you're low level. The important thing is being able to understand why these dying. You must see the deaths as an invaluable learning opportunity... Unless you have a very bad connection, most of the deaths are entirely preventable errors. Errors in the construction and development of character and errors in the way you play.
A quick view of your tree tells me that in your case is probably a mix of all... If now you do not understand something, no matter, the time teaches. One of the most important things in this kind of game (and especially in PoE) is to learn to stand up. Take it from someone who has been playing this more than two years and still occasionally dying XD

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
Actkqk wrote:
Me and my rare advices...

It does not matter how many times you die if you're low level. The important thing is being able to understand why these dying. You must see the deaths as an invaluable learning opportunity... Unless you have a very bad connection, most of the deaths are entirely preventable errors. Errors in the construction and development of character and errors in the way you play.
A quick view of your tree tells me that in your case is probably a mix of all... If now you do not understand something, no matter, the time teaches. One of the most important things in this kind of game (and especially in PoE) is to learn to stand up. Take it from someone who has been playing this more than two years and still occasionally dying XD

yup, i agree...

been playing this for about 1 year or so...
and my highest char is quite often to die...

so, to my learning by doing, i learn how to specialize skill (to improve your DPS) and stack on life nodes, especially on your way to LV 50...

the next thing is, find a better way to stack your defense, wheter by armor, eva, ES, blocking, or dmg mitigation gear, you should find the most suited defense to your build soon enough...

currency wise tho, stack on chance orb / scouring / regret..
you gonna need those, a lot...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info