Defences question

so i've been leveling a es based caster, and every time i fight anything, all i can hear is:

bl dude, you should have played life armour probably with block and endurance charges.
why do you have mana regen, why arent you BM, why arent you using elreon jewelery.

should i see a doctor? is there something wrong with me? how do i fix this?
Fix what?
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
probably has to do with the incinerate meta now days.

what people dont understand because they dont play things like ball lightning or arctic breath is that it has a HUGE mana cost and it is IMPOSSIBLE to negate the mana cost with elreon jewelry like you can with incinerate and flameblast. you MUST have mana regen and a decent mana pool to cast off of or else you will constantly be chugging mana flasks and running out of mana. so you CAN go blood magic to deal with that.

guess blood magic is the meta because the mana system is absolute CRAP.

i have a gmp arctic breath character at lvl 78 on the 5 week darkshrine hc league. my defense setup is using mind over matter with acrobatics. even with decent gear and nice mana regen on most my gear and lots of mana nodes giving me like 1500 mana i STILL dont have much total mana regen. my 5 link eats over 100 mana a sec when casting. dont think i could sustain a 6 link without a pledge of hands providing much more mana and regen.

the mana regen system needs redone after they changed eldritch battery its been nerfed WAY to hard.

the only reason i like it over pure ES is because of flasks. pop a health and mana flasks and you can sponge tank way more than ES can.

where when you go blood magic its easier to pick up 2-4 regen nodes compared to the 10 or more mana/mana regen nodes which leaves more points for crit clusters. easier to gear too when u dont need mana regen mod on your gear which only specifically spawns on caster peices.

edit-hope this makes some sense. im pretty tired. time to get some rest.
Last edited by lone500 on Nov 25, 2015, 8:07:10 AM
The currently effective mana sustain mechanisms in the game:

- blood magic gem or keystone
- low-cost spell with reduced mana cost nodes and Elreon jewellery (works well with Incinerate, cast on crit, Mjolner)
- MoM + EB + [ghost reaver and a life leech gem] or [Zealot's Oath and life regen, possibly Blood Dance boots]
- mana leech for some attack-based builds, a bit tricky to pull off, requiers gear and perhaps passive tree points

Investing in mana regen requires so much resources it's simply inefficient.

I've heard of guys running with two or three Vaal Clarity gems + increased duration and maybe some increased duration nodes from the tree plus a blood magic-linked damage source independent of mana. I wouldn't do it, too much of a hassle, but it can be made to work.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 25, 2015, 8:14:06 AM
"
Bars wrote:

- low-cost spell with reduced mana cost nodes and Elreon jewellery (works well with Incinerate, cast on crit, Mjolner)
- MoM + EB + [ghost reaver and a life leech gem] or [Zealot's Oath and life regen, possibly Blood Dance boots]
- mana leech for some attack-based builds, a bit tricky to pull off, requiers gear and perhaps passive tree points

I'm guessing i'm the only one that on melee/ranged character is using clarity + 40-80% mana regen to sustain costs :/ the mana node in duelist area alone was usually enough

I mean, my last ice crash mara had clarity and that node and it was sufficent to sustain its cost
The question is what you are missing when you use clarity. It probably blocks at least one major aura. Also, Ice Crash is a bit of an exception since it both has a low mana cost and a low attack speed.

Anyway, that's just how I see things. Someone else might think something else is more efficient.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 25, 2015, 8:36:16 AM
im just really really salty, the "caster" trope is 100% dead. i dont plan on using incinerate, and i am going crit spell caster, so iw as like cool, i'll go ES, get some mana regen and it will be k, well it is not k, i literally cant even 1v1 kratin because 1 i cant sustain more than a 4link spell, and 2 he flickers and stops my ES regen.

lets list the problems from top to bottom.

defence: any phys dmg does between 1k from whites to 7k+ from certain bosses. u could have 20k ES and still be trash. - how to deal, artic armour and endurance charges.

Sustaining spells: high level spells on a 6link cost around 100 mana or more, additionally you cant really use mana leech or mana on hit, leaving you with EB(cant be used on ES based defence), BM and mana regen. mana regen requires investment on both the tree, and on gear, minimum 2 suffix's probably more as you actually need base mana to hold clarity.

Sustaining life: no, leech is dead, es on hit, life on hit dont work on spells.

doing damage: why cast spells yourself when you can just cast on crit and do more dmg. and have infinite crit pots.

there is literally no reason to go spell caster that isnt incinerate.

and spells are unsustainable on mana without HUGE investment, and you get better results doing cast on crit 10/10 times.
Did you read what I wrote? You get Mind over Matter, Eldritch Battery and

a) Ghost Reaver plus a life leech gem
b) Zealot's Oath with some life regen from tree and The Blood Dance boots, which are pretty nice anyway and give frenzy charges

and you get your sustain, plus an easily achievable 1500-2000 ES pool which acts as a secondary buffer and the ability to reserve all your mana with auras. Add 4500-5500 life, again reasonably achievable, and you'll get a pretty high-hitpoint character. Not immortal by any means, but won't be a complete glass cannon and you'll be able to clear almost everything if you have enough damage. Manual cast Enduring Cry, throw in a lvl 20 cwdt + IC + increased duration, maybe get +1 endurance charge from the passive tree or quest and you'll be fine.

However, from my experience, going for anything but crit EK can't compete with incinerate in clear speed. Crit EK is pretty damn nice, though.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 25, 2015, 9:07:56 AM
"
Bars wrote:

Investing in mana regen requires so much resources it's simply inefficient.

Warlord's mark is great for sustaning mana. No regen map, 103 mana per cast and 166 free mana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt7n6-sLzL0

With Warlord's mark I can cast Ball Lightning without problems even if attacking 1 enemy. It also give life regen and endurance charges

"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Nov 25, 2015, 9:09:16 AM
I would never accept a playstyle in which I have to stop and manual curse everything before I actually start attacking. It would frustrate me to no end and slow down clear speed considerably. However, this is certainly another way to go about it and some other players might like it as a solution. I didn't even think about that. So, good imput.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info