[Theorycrafting for Ascendancy] Deadeye Crit Fireballer (Spellcasting Ranger)

I was super hyped with the Ascendancy announcement and immediately started theorycrafting stuff. As I was browsing through all the Ascendancy trees, this idea just materialized:

Start as Ranger, pick up Deadeye Ascendancy, invest on Crit Chance and Projectile damage, and become a super cool fireball thrower.

Key elements for this to work:

Rolling Flames Cobalt Jewel (new threshold jewel):
x% increased Fire Damage
With at least 50 intelligence allocated in radius, Fireball projectiles gain Area of Effect as they travel further, up to 50% Increased Radius

Powerful Precision (passive skill in the Deadeye tree):
Projectiles have 100% additional chance to pierce targets at the start of their movement, losing this chance as the projectile travels further
Projectile Critical Strike Chance increased by Arrow Pierce Chance

Endless Munitions (passive skill in the Deadeye tree):
+200 to Accuracy Rating
20% Increased Radius of Area Skills
Skills fire an additional projectile

You can do the math about how all these things synergyze, but I'll explain it here, too:

- Rolling Flames gives you a lot increased AoE for your Fireball, but it must travel a little before getting this bonus.

- Powerful Precision allows you to pierce nearby enemies, guaranteeing that your Fireballs will travel further and trigger Rolling Flames. The Crit Chance gained by Powerful Precision, unfortunately, will not apply to Fireball as the wording says "Arrow Pierce Chance", and Fireball is not an arrow.

- Endless Munitions will give an extra projectile and even more AoE to your fireball without any damage penalty. With this size AoE and firing 2 projectiles you could even give up using LMP or GMP and still cover a big area, maybe?

On the way to the ascendancy passives in the Deadeye tree, you get increased projectile damage and crit chance, which also benefits the idea.

The Far Shot passive (Projectile Attacks gain damage as they travel further, dealing up to 30% more damage to targets), which must be taken on the way to Endless Munitions, unfortunately won't apply to the Fireball, as it only applies to Projectile Attacks. At first I thought it would apply which would be another insane synergy with Rolling Flames, but alas, it doesn't. A shame.

I still think the overall concept could be viable, though. Could slap in a Projectile Weakness curse linked with blasphemy to make sure nearby enemies are pierced and adding a knockback mechanic so they are pushed back into the bigger AoEs.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Rhoa_Power on Nov 21, 2015, 3:32:10 PM
I like it a lot. I am all for the off-class synergies with these skills. On top of this, Fireball is being buffed which i think we will see when the december leagues begin.

Even though some of the synergies with the ascendency nodes do not apply, this still gives way to an interesting character. The problem is the general lack of damage/support nodes for spells in the Ranger area.

To make this work you'd need to blow some points in the APS node into the projectile damage filler nodes, then immediately travel north into the shadow area for your crit and ele. Unfortunately this really weakens the choice despite the cool AOE you can get with the sub-class and it might be underwhelming.

As a side note, we have not seen what else shadow is getting and hopefully its more spell based. Also, Two more witch unlocks which might be a better fit for something like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info