Is CI melee viable in 2.0 wihtout OP gear?

Hi

Is a CI melee toon viable in 2.0 without OP gear? If yes, how do you build it? What are the MUST haves?
- Is Zealots Oath a must have? What's the best way to get regen (regen nodes are far away)?
- Vaal Pact?
- Best stun immunity/avoidance? Unwavering seems too far away.
- What are the best mitigation options? AR, EV, block or simply a huge ES pool?
- Is crit the best way? (nearly 100% flask uptime with Surgeon flask)
- What's the targeted ES pool before transition from life to ES?

- What are your experiences with ES melee toons? Would you do it again?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, tips and tricks!
I haven't seen a single melee CI character in the first pages of the ladders, softcore or hardcore. I haven't seen one anywhere else in the temp leagues, for that matter.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
What are CI advantages over life for melee ?

-You can have much more ES than life with OP gear.
-Melee damage on full life. That's big, but you can't use for example rat nest or blood rage.
-Immunity to chaos (lol no one cares).
-Yep that's full list and you lose tons of things which life builds can use.

So answer to your question is no. You can always build better life melee than CI unless you have OP gear.

Last edited by CookieVortex on Nov 9, 2015, 8:59:52 AM
CI melee was impossible without OP gears even pre-2.0 in my opinion lol.
OK, thanks a lot I appreciate your answers.

So my conclusion is don't bother with ES as a melee not even with a EV/ES or AR/ES hybrid setting since this requires a way to regen/refill life and ES during combat.
Last edited by fae76 on Nov 9, 2015, 9:11:02 AM
"
fae76 wrote:
OK, thanks a lot I appreciate your answers.

So my conclusion is don't bother with ES as a melee not even with a EV/ES or AR/ES hybrid setting since this requires a way to regen/refill life and ES during combat.

Your conclusion is correct but your reasoning is not. When people talk about ES builds they normally talk about pure ES builds. AR/ES and EV/ES are in fact even more expensive to build around for you need to find gears that score high on two stats, only the richest players in POE have managed to pull that off.

Your reasoning that regeneration is a problem is quite off. All ES players go for Vaal Pact. Since ES has no regeneration but only recharge, it is unaffected by Vaal Pact anyway. ES players do not worry about regeneration at all for ES is the strongest form of defense in the game currently. The only issue is that ES gears are also the most expensive in the game.

The reason why ES is the strongest form of defense is because ES players can easily hit 13K ES as long as they are rich. HP players need a Kaom heart to barely touch 10K hp.

The ultimate option for ALL poe characters has always been ES. It is all about whether you have 150 exalts at least or not?
I went CI melee in the one flashback one month. Farmed up about 8-10 worth of gear because I really wanted that hat but my character was still worse than my buddy's 30c tornado shot ranger. I got the hat but....... learned that lack 11000 ES wont save you from from burst damage in 2.0. Even if you have resistance flasks always up and GG gear.

The icing on the cake is the gem colors, I had 4 off color on my gloves and three off color on my boots and my chest was a nightmare. Never got the perfect colors on it. Melee Damage on full health is a joke, WHY is it RED? All the good supports are red and green. I was running physical to lighting and crit multi instead of melee phy and full life.

This is just the tip of the ice iceberg. Take if from me and my 300 deaths. The cost to preference is not worth it.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
CI makes you immune to Chaos damage and lets you build an ES pool instead of a life pool. In return, your mitigation and recovery options are severely hampered.

In 2.0, your life pool is almost meaningless. Once you hit a certain threshold, mitigation becomes king, and that threshold is far below what's offered by a CI build.

As a result, CI is just generally bad. Unless you are playing a build that simply cannot get enough life nodes, but somehow can get enough ES nodes and CI, CI is a strictly sub-optimal choice. The only real exception are DPS-oriented Whispering Ice builds because their ES scaling is just so strong.
Last edited by XCodesLIVE on Nov 9, 2015, 10:45:52 PM
Actually you could play with something like death' oath astral plate and aegis with some block nodes, then rest of the gear be like rainbowstrides for boots and get high ES gloves and hat.
You would lose a lot max ES but also get back a lot when you block.
However reaching both CI+ghost reaver and block nodes might be super hard.
Death's oath btw is still not a too good pick, it's passive does not give much dmg, so maybe irandescent heart could work instead.
With the new curse aura you could get warlord mark on everyting, actually I think I will try this build someday.
(still lot nodes you would need for this is all across the tree so maybe not possible.
"
CookieVortex wrote:
What are CI advantages over life for melee ?

-You can have much more ES than life with OP gear.
-Melee damage on full life. That's big, but you can't use for example rat nest or blood rage.
-Immunity to chaos (lol no one cares).
-Yep that's full list and you lose tons of things which life builds can use.

So answer to your question is no. You can always build better life melee than CI unless you have OP gear.

rly? 2 of 3 of my CI toons use blood rage without degen.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info