Race/League Rewards

So I've been thinking for a while now about the rewards given in races/leagues. A lot of them are based on "luck" ("5 random players who reach level 80 will receive xxxxx").
I both like and dislike this... Because it requires some skill to get to level 80 but then all you can do is hope to be the "lucky one". At the same time you can't change the rewards to "First 10 players to reach level 80 will receive xxxx" because then the "same" top players will get it every time.

I liked the rewards given in the Torment/Bloodlines Events A LOT! Tho I can understand that giving out loads of cosmetics like that is not really good for the company's economy, but then just make the challenges harder. The rewards should be something to show off, for example have a Pink Seraph Set and have the rewards be like "Kill Malachai in the Core map". Giving out the rewards in this fashion will make the people work hard for all the challenges in a league, and then the rewards will be a bit more to show off as well.

I wanna be able to see a character in town and say to myself: "damn he completed those hard ass challenges", not just "damn that kid must've stole his mom's credit card to look that cool".

This will probably increase the longevity of the leagues aswell. From what I have noticed the leagues (mostly the shorter ones) tend to die out after 2-3 weeks. Having harder challenges will encourage players to stay active for longer periods.
A dash of arcanity, a pinch of insanity, a whisper of profanity, and your build is now ready.
I have a little bit of time on my hands... so I will entertain your comments.

GGG has two main methods regarding giving out prizes during league events: "challenge-based" (like the Golden Seraph set during the 1M flashback) and "level threshold-based" (like we have now for the 5W Darkshrine event). I'll bring these up again later.

"
BumpNumb wrote:
So I've been thinking for a while now about the rewards given in races/leagues. A lot of them are based on "luck" ("5 random players who reach level 80 will receive xxxxx").
I both like and dislike this... Because it requires some skill to get to level 80 but then all you can do is hope to be the "lucky one".

I'm almost positive this is the best method for GGG to accomplish what they want, which I'm assuming is to give out prizes based on some sort of tier (to encourage players to keep playing), but also give out a limited amount so that people aren't flooded with MTX that you could normally buy in the store. This is the "level threshold-based" rewards system I was talking about.

"
BumpNumb wrote:
At the same time you can't change the rewards to "First 10 players to reach level 80 will receive xxxx" because then the "same" top players will get it every time.

I hate this argument, and I'm tired of seeing it. GGG didn't come down as an omnipresent and omnipotent god and touch 20 players that would gain the powers to be in the top 20 every time. PEOPLE NEED TO STEP UP THEIR GAME. If you want to win the rewards, try harder and play better. GGG already gives enough free stuff out as is, leave the people who display some sort of effort alone. Don't make excuses.

"
BumpNumb wrote:
I liked the rewards given in the Torment/Bloodlines Events A LOT! Tho I can understand that giving out loads of cosmetics like that is not really good for the company's economy, but then just make the challenges harder. The rewards should be something to show off, for example have a Pink Seraph Set and have the rewards be like "Kill Malachai in the Core map". Giving out the rewards in this fashion will make the people work hard for all the challenges in a league, and then the rewards will be a bit more to show off as well.

Kill Core Malachai? Hard? Let me just pay some guy 10c to run me through it real quick. Usually the "challenge-based" system has its own MTX created for it (i.e. the Seraph sets or Hideout totems). I agree that the challenges definitely could be harder, but I think if GGG went through the effort to make a "commemorative MTX set", they're looking to give it out to people.

"
BumpNumb wrote:
Having harder challenges will encourage *dedicated* players to stay active for longer periods.

Fixed that for you. Harder challenges should encourage more people to play, but all that results of it is people coming to the forums and complaining that other people are getting rewards for being better.
SeoHyun (www.twitch.tv/Awkamess)
My racing guides for S11:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DtU8a7ruzt_q7x51pS6lG4QOl_XxAmcdP6RU-61qUU

"Terrex is irrelevant." ~Lonestar420 2015
Last edited by Awkamess on Nov 4, 2015, 1:24:34 PM
Quick clarification question about this:
"
Awkamess wrote:
Kill Core Malachai? Hard? Let me just pay some guy 10c to run me through it real quick...

Kill Core Malichai was part of one of the challenges in Warbands/Tempest, and I thought the cost of the map alone was ~1 exalted orb. In addition to that cost there was the fee to have someone run it for you. I am remembering these amounts wrong, or is the amount quoted above just satire to point out the 'challenge' with buying completion elements?
"
ChronoExile wrote:
Quick clarification question about this:
"
Awkamess wrote:
Kill Core Malachai? Hard? Let me just pay some guy 10c to run me through it real quick...

Kill Core Malichai was part of one of the challenges in Warbands/Tempest, and I thought the cost of the map alone was ~1 exalted orb. In addition to that cost there was the fee to have someone run it for you. I am remembering these amounts wrong, or is the amount quoted above just satire to point out the 'challenge' with buying completion elements?

Just satire, I wasn't sure of the actual amount myself.
SeoHyun (www.twitch.tv/Awkamess)
My racing guides for S11:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DtU8a7ruzt_q7x51pS6lG4QOl_XxAmcdP6RU-61qUU

"Terrex is irrelevant." ~Lonestar420 2015

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info