[2.0.4 SC] Disnuker Mjolner with RF and AoE radius!

Hello.
This is my first build guide.
I was trying things on softcore, and after researching the passive tree and some testing, I noticed that you can run Mjolner build with RF sustained only with your passive regen.

Downside to this build is that it is very expensive.
Upside is that it is really good and feels good to play (if your GPU allows it).

Since this guide is my first, and there's already LOTS of Mjolner guides, I'll just list the most important things.

tl;dr:
Spoiler
Scold's. Trigger gems. Cap liferegen to run RF. Ignore EB. Get AoE nodes on the tree. Mana based. Only 4 jewels. No Grace/IR/US. Runs AA. Rest is standard.

Note that it is a SOFTCORE guide and I would not recommend it anywhere else. Too much physical damage flying around for this 2k armor squishy glass cannon Mjolner build.

Passive tree & bandits:
Spoiler

Bandits:
Oak/Passive normal
Kraityn/Passive cruel
Alira merciless

Tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAA2E2UoNpiaHQYVvnogsdBhyj6tz64k4PM_goc3Dwt2L3r7o8axq6DXzWSMtF8g5rgxPauPgxftfJFRxEtRZ3EFSftZ5scp3gNwGYsnFNSBg4ZLuRRU6XAGq3xBLM8BQVC1HzZYZtYUEepbm87GF2iAO98n99Blgn2rY0x--8Od-PwH5o7rrPQ9c9-FCAB3GjygptMs18_hNlko3wOIG6XlQQH9kjEuEd-YSGnVVAwUlOD2-vkxFjV-L02hO9boD1fl_RVxl8qPfxlTdrBbRm-p3TtCPQFLcBUakNXDZZskc4=

Stats (filtered and sorted for what's important):

Spoiler

Attributes:

+325 to Strength
+90 to Dexterity
+280 to Intelligence

Level and stats give us total:

+574 to maximum Mana (L92)
+1384,5 to maximum Life (L92)

Life/Mana/Regen:

165% increased maximum Life
74% increased maximum Mana
185% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
13,2% of Life Regenerated per Second

Jewels:

+4 Jewel Socket

Charges:

+4 Maximum Endurance Charge
+4 Maximum Power Charge (+1 from Alira, total 5)

Armor & resistances:

62% increased Armour
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
3% increased Movement Speed
+20% to all Elemental Resistances
+1% to maximum Fire Resistance
+8% to Fire Resistance

Spell damage and related:

14% increased Spell Damage
16% increased Elemental Damage with Spells
40% increased Fire Damage
20% increased Area Damage
18% increased Elemental Damage

Crit and AoE:

115% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
10% increased Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells
40% increased Radius of Area Skills

Melee / Attack speed:

5% increased Attack and Cast Speed
4% increased Melee Attack Speed
18% increased Attack Speed
80% increased Accuracy Rating
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range

Misc:

8% reduced Mana Cost of Skills
5% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite

Jewel stat priorities:
Maximum life 6-7%
Stats if you need them
Attack speed (pure / with maces / one handed weapons, +cast speed)
with those, just get any non-useless ones.
(Alot of jewels fit this build. Remember that "12% increased global crit multiplier with cold skills" WORKS for discharge! That information can help you get a lot of budget jewels.)

Got more levels than 92?

Get more life. Or another Endurance Charge in the duelist area.
If you got a higher level than 92, you probably know what you're doing.

As you can see, the life regen is crazy, everything else is mediocre. We make that up with the gear.
And 60% more spell damage from Righteous fire.

Gear:
Spoiler

Legacy if you can afford it. Currently testing Ball lightning/second arc against Iron Will.
If you done any math on it, I'd appreciate linking it below.

Required. You all know why.

Required. Best option of life replenishment with
If you don't have
, don't bother trying this version; pick some other one from all the guides available.
Also: when you are redeeming your Brittle Emperor cards for the amulet, do it on a low-level char. To avoid getting high level useless corruption like I did. Better to get 0.2% fire/lightning leech. Or +1 frenzy charge, and hopefully trade with someone for the leech version.

Required to run RF. If you don't want to run RF with 100% regen sustain, you are probably looking at the wrong guide.

Very nice item to have. Little to no downside with up to 100% spell damage.
Also, interesting mechanic.
By having Vengeance somewhere in your sockets, it gets triggered when hitting your Mjolner.
So you can easily calculate
(APS * 3 * 40% = additional swings in melee range per second)
for 0.2APS, an average value you should be aiming at, it turns out to be 0.72 additional swings per second, meaning 0.36 extra Mjolner procs. That is not counting the things actually hitting you, just you hitting yourself!
If you like Vaal Molten Shell, you can also run it instead of Vaal Haste for example. Better for bosses, worse for clear speed.
Other options include:

Those gloves I got quite cheap, because of the "crap" base. However, 45dex is strong for attributes and lets me reach 155 dex on character tab, meaning I can run lvl 20 Vaal Haste.
What's really important, they curse with elemental weakness on hit, which saves you the trouble.
For those wondering, spells also apply the effect. So it's like Mjolner actually had 5L: BL - Discharge - Arc - Curse on Hit - ElementalWeakness (lv11).

If you don't have Curse on Hit gloves, use
, preferably with higher Dex roll, and non-corrupted.

The rest is rare stuff with resistances.
This can be always almost improved over what you have.
If you are really overcapped on strength and don't need extra life, consider running a Doryani's Belt for the leech. With so many discharges per second, the 0.2% would actually prove to be useful anyway, despite the recent leeching changes. Fire or Lightning version? I guess that depends on the resistances you will need to get capped (Cold/Lightning or Fire/Cold). Still, my guess is +%chance to ignite would turn out better than +%chance to shock on flasks.

Flasks:
Mine are:

If you don't have legacy Rumi's, go with
. If you don't have Taste of Hate, go with regular Rumi's, or with whatever feels best for you.
Your Ruby flask is your life-flask. Stops most of the RF degen, giving back life at similar ratio a white life flask would.
You need:
4x surgeon's + 1x unique
Topaz, Ruby, Quicksilver, Unique, Granite/Jade/Ruby (Jade if you go with Rumi's, another Ruby if you need more comfort with healing)
of Warding, of Heat, of Adrenaline (on quicksilver preferably), of Staunching

Links:
Spoiler

Links can be seen on gear.

For the changes you can make:
Mjolner - Discharge + BallLightning / Arc / Shock Nova + Inc.AoE / Conc.Effect / Iron Will / (another BallLightning / Arc / Shock Nova)
Work out what's best for you and use it. Or calculate it. As for the order of the links, it is important too, but you have got to test it yourself what's working best.
(Good way of testing DPS is getting a high health target and measure the time that it takes to kill it on average with every setup. Good example of that kind of target is Vaal duo in Atziri map)

As i said earlier, I didn't do the math on what does the most DPS. Iron Will seems like a solid choice since we're running RF (gem effectiveness is 160% total then, giving ~200 spell damage to 2 spells).

Swap Vengeance in the RF link with Conc. Effect if you like to have smaller AoE and more damage.
I will probably do that too, after I level my gem.
Drop Reckoning for Vengeance in the 5L chest.

If you happen to get a 6L Kingsguard, just go with Fortify as the extra link, dropping Vengeance altogether. (survivability over +0.72 melee hits per second).

Unset rings are a very nice base. Currently wearing a Sapphire, because I want to be hard-capped, although look for something like:

It will let you run Vengeance as a 1L if you get a 6L chest. If you already have it, pick another trigger gem. There's still two remaning, with Reckoning being better than Riposte.

Swap Vaal Haste with Vaal Molten Shell if you want more explosions from Scold's.

RF calculation. Damage & Will I be able to run it?
Spoiler

On some reddit post, Ghudda linked a spreadsheet to calc your degen.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SxWUTCQoQoTedMkiQXU_deS6dYb7-hwboGm3vI3pFQY/edit?usp=sharing
File-> Make a copy, and fill the second table, labeled as "Might have some ES".
Since EB revamp, you will have to have the ES. That means more regen than just (100%-FireRes)*0.9.

With 13.2% regen I'm fine. If i had 0ES i could just need 10.8%, but since the ES gets stacked up high (Scolds, shield, Kingsguard, all that intellect, some +added on the amulet...), you need more.
Not neccesairly more regen. Just more life. All that counts is your ES/Life ratio.
I actually had a situation where with jewels removed i degened slowly, after putting them in, I stopped.
Best to use the spreadsheet before trying! A safe guess for the values is 1000ES & 4800 life.

http://samminds.com/righteous_fire/
this is a link for the RF damage calculator. Just choose your options.
Please mind that the main reason we run RF isn't the RF itself. It's the %MORE spell damage on the gem. A fun thing still to know what kind of damage the shiny circle is dealing.

Videos:
Spoiler

Coming soon™.
When spectres won't have to be resummoned.
Or maybe when Guild Achievements and Events are introduced.
Or maybe when I get a computer that lets me record playing Mjolner without burning its intestines in the process.
Not sure yet.

Atziri:
Spoiler
It's Mjolner. It's viable.

As for Uber, Core, or other endgame stuff, I don't have enough balls to try. Maybe someday.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reply to this post, I'll be glad to discuss.
Also, if you want to see the build in action, pm me ingame. IGN: Disnuker .
Last edited by conflargate on Oct 30, 2015, 8:23:53 PM
So I wonder whether RF is worth it for Mjolner.

Right now you have about 200% spell dmg from tree+gear. I'm assuming you have another 80% on jewels, and 20% from quality on RF. So RF gives you 190% extra spell damage.

The iron will gem would give you 130% increased spell damage before RF. That's potentially even more than either arc or BL, but not sure probably not if you consider the PC/EC generation. The advantage is the ability to put in leech when you need it.

If didn't use scolds, I think RF might not be worth it. You could make up for it with around 120% spell/elemental damage from the tree (instead of regen).
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Ball lightning isnt used for damage its generally used in mjolner builds for flask recharges, i think syainz did some tests and it seemed to be generating extra power charges, i cant confirm that but can confirm its great for flasks. Its a good idea to go for rf, even though i dont know the maths, main prob for me is so many map rolls for packsize are lower regen or a curse.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info