My computer hard restarts while playing

I have read several threads about this for other people and they never seem to have a solved result. I have a tried updating and scanning both the windows file and poe file for corrupt files, both come back clean. The restarts are random and create no Log. Best I could find was in the event viewer, critical error- kernal power event 41. It's not the temps either and restarts have no warning as in frame rate, lag or skips.

I run
Processor- I5-4460 3.2 GHZ
Mobo- MSI0Z97 PC mate
GPU- AMD radeon hd 7900 series
Kingston 8 gig ram
PSU- thermaltake smart 750

I'm not the most computer literate guy so please try and explain in lamen terms thanks in advance.
also is the only game this happens to.
graphics card is R9-280A-TDFD but spec programs say radeon HD 7900, dont know if that makes a difference
OCCT program stress test had my CPU temp at 100*C in 1 minute
hi,

sounds like your cpu heatsink and/or cpu fan is not working properly. very simply put - this thing

when your CPU reaches a certain temperature it shuts down the computer to protect itself, you could damage your CPU overtime if you keep trying to use it at such high temperatures. what temperatures does ur cpu reach under normal circumstances? (not running any games)

sometimes the CPU fan will not run properly or the heatsink will come lose. the heatsink needs to be in full contact with the CPU for it to work properly. either way I suggest taking it to a repair shop if you are not tech savvy.

Regards
Last edited by eye4TooL on Oct 13, 2015, 4:53:14 PM
I'm also having this issue, and I can assure you it is not a CPU issue. I've ran multiple burn in tests on prime95, play other games as long as I feel like. Only when I play path of exile does my PC crash. Not like a blue screen crash, but a complete power shut down.

Been searching for over a week for a fix, nothing yet.
I experienced a similar problem about a year ago, it ended up being caused by some faulty ram.
IGN: OldManSyndrome or _OldManSyndrome_
i have same problem pc restarts and it only happens in path of exile.
Time and time again, whenever a system restarts while playing a game it's due to a faulty video card or GPU.

Even if your temps look fine for the GPU.

Even if a stress test of the GPU with something like Furmark has no issues.

It's still the GPU.

I've had this issue in the past, but not with PoE. Years ago I bought an EVGA GTX 295 video card, had the restarts in some games, not all. Troubleshot everything, stress tested everything, and nothing seemed to isolate the video card as the issue. Regardless, I RMAed the 295 with EVGA, got a replacement, and the issue went away. That faulty 295 wasn't overheating, and it worked fine in some games, but in others it restarted the PC randomly, sometimes a couple hours into gameplay, sometimes within 30 minutes. The replacement 295 solved everything.

And I won't even go into details on how many other friends and strangers online I've helped, in which replacing the video card solved this issue.

Seriously, if you have another video card laying around, or can borrow/buy another one, throw it it, update drivers, and give it a whirl. I'd place money on your issue being related to the video card.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Feb 3, 2016, 9:18:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info