[2.0.4] Voltaxic Rift COC Purple Stuff Everywhere + No Reflect

Bored with stacking arctic breath and fireball with your COC gem? Well, me too.
I am at lvl 85 currently. Just wanna share my build. Please feel free to give comments or criticisms. Oh sorry, no cool starting picture.

Idea behind this build.

Spoiler

Basically it is just another COC build but you use the Voltaxic Rift unique spine bow and attached some lightning spells to the Cast on Critical Strike gem. Since Voltaxic Rift converts ALL lightning damage to chaos damage, you deal (mainly) chaos damage. You don't have to worry about reflect, high ES monsters and (more or less) enemy resistances. Might even be better for next season if they do add chaos DOT stacking which I think will bring this kind of builds to the next level!

The main aim of this build is to go for crit chance and crit multiplier for more damage. The challenge with using Voltaxic Rift is the base critical chance is only 6%. Pretty low for use as a COC. Even after getting tons of crit chance nodes, it is not possible (for me) to cap crit chance. So we go for power charge nodes as well and leave frenzy alone (or if you have GG gear, go for frenzy at endgame). After lvl 85, you can start going for the frenzy charges. They help quite significantly I have to admit.

The passive tree spans from the witch area to the duelist area. Ouch. But this gives players a choice to pick the nodes they want on the way.

What you need?
Spoiler

1. Voltaxic Rift

2. Rat's Nest

3. Optional - Maligaro's Virtuosity [I am not using it]
Other than that, rare diamond rings, spike point quiver and rare stuff.
Overall, not too expensive except for the Voltaxic Rift bow.
Oh ya, you will need a 6l chest piece but nowadays it is already much cheaper than before. Seems like GGG wants us to invest heavily into our builds anyway. Since I am evasion base, I am using an evasion chest.

Links & Gems
Spoiler

Main Attack: Tornado Shot + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Increased Critical Strikes + Cast on Critical Strikes + Arc + Ball Lightning
There isn't much choices for lightning spells here. We go for Arc and Ball Lightning. Arc does not benefit from GMP though. Other choices are spark and even lightning warp. It is actually kind of fun to link lightning warp - you just warp around giving yourself a big headache.

Tornado shot is the best for this build. Even decent for rare/boss killing.

Utility: Frenzy + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Chain + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark
To generate frenzy and curse your enemies. You can remove GMP to put something else like blind or LGOH or something. But I won't recommend it.

Herald: Herald of Thunder + Innervate + Culling Strike + Mana Leech. [changed]
Your choice. You can use curse on hit as well. But I like using Culling Strike for COC because something COC tends to leave one or two enemies behind. Culling strikes wipes them out fast. Since you should be shocking everything, innervate which grants onslaught helps you move and kill between packs.
The Heralds adds flat damage to your attacks and spells as well as significant secondary damage. Go for it. Lvl them up all the way.

Auras: Wrath.
What else? Adds tons of damage to your attack as well as spells.

Golem: Summon Ice Golem.
What else? They add accuracy and critical strike chance. Both you will need to survive the harsh world of Wraeclast. Add some life and resistance to your golem, my friends. Tedious to keep on summing them.

Warcry: Enduring cry? Abyssal Cry?
I don't know. A bit dangerous for a COC build to have warcry. But it depends on you. Abyssal cry is quite decent since it slows enemies down and explodes when killed, adding even more damage. Note that I am not using them. I also lack strength. I think it might be a better idea just to kill them fast than to do a cry. Again this is a COC build. Offense is defense.

Cast When Damage Taken: Your choice.
Kind of hard to use the every popular Immortal cry + Increased duration setup since I am using pure evasion but of course it can be done if you have the currency. I am using Phrase run + Temporal chains setup. The temporal chains curse should not often interfere with your assassin's mark curse. I do have a summon skeleton gem together with my CWDT.

Passive Tree
Spoiler

Current Tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcFLQW1B2MNjQ3RDkgPxBGWE54WvxvIIG4hdiP2JP0mlSoLLR8wcTB8Mfo2PTnUOkI7fEMxRXxHfkp9S3hMs0z_TZJOKlAwUUdVS1XGVvpbr13yYeJirGNDZU1sjG5pb_JwUnDVdO11y3b3eu9-M38rf8aD24bOh3aJ04wLjDaNfY1-jb-VIJeXnaqgn6KjpHikkbQ4tMW3trjKuXy9Nr6nwTPB1cHzwuzLvc2Y1CPV-NrB217dqN7444Tjn-UZ51TqYuyw7g7z6vv1_MX_3g==

Final Tree (more or less):
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYARXyXl-UZtDj79Yw2JpVh4lVLy70HY6SRE55d8n4zidNw1fPqKgtwUha_DkhjQw3RG8jjhDY9bIydqrl8jAvssLTFYqylywzyBbXC7P_eJP3nVFFHjb-95j7PwdWkeN74OkJLeN2oMHHUI02SI_aNfTB8fyugn2_yOdQx-nb3VvruDvzFDY1KfeOfh3bBM4bOIXZbr04qQzFM_9rBeu8FLXTtt7aNfupizZh1y76nR369NmVN1fhuaZUgwfOio3_GEZa4yjt8D8RMsy0fUDAgbtteg9sEB1XGOlg=

I went for the power charge in the witch area and since I needed the intel, it was fine.
If you have the gear, you should actually go for frenzy charges. They are within easy reach and adds tons of attack speed and damage. This is a COC build, so you should aim for damage. Plus since you are dealing chaos damage which cannot be reflected, go crazy with the damage.

I am also using Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics for added defense.

Stats
Spoiler

Bandits
Spoiler

1. Oak, Kill All, Alira
You need that Power Charge, baby!

Jewels
Spoiler

None! No seriously, I don't have the points.
But I am kind of keen to see what you guys will think of adding jewels. They are also within easy reach.Maybe those bow crit chance and crit multiplier jewels?

Pros & Cons
Spoiler

Pros:
1. Don't worry about reflect - we deal mainly chaos damage
2. Go crazy with the damage - reason as above
3. Relatively cheap
4. Cool & pretty fun

Cons:
1. It is yet another COC build
2. Bad versus fast moving bosses
3. Still squishy like hell
4. Lack of Strength
5. Mana Issues

Videos
Spoiler

Yes, includes some videos for your viewing pleasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zegbanO7uxI
https://youtu.be/z92wpRT-Ntw

Plateau Map:
https://youtu.be/7vhtVI4HhQA

FAQ:
Spoiler

1. Problems with mana?
Ans: Yes, most builds do have some problems with mana nowadays, especially without good gear. I struggled for quite sometime with mana but with the correct nodes and at higher lvls, you should be fine. I actually use Herald of Thunder with mana leech just in case.

2. Cannot run warcries?
Ans: The lack of strength in my build. But honestly, do you need those warcries? When you see an enemy, just shoot at it.

3. Should I go for more damage nodes or defense?
Ans: I would say go for more damage nodes when you have enough defense to withstand one or two hits. The core idea behind COC builds is "kill them before they kill you". And for most part, it works. They are (or should be) dead before they even reach you.

4. Which bosses should I avoid?
Ans: Hmmm....fast moving ones are the worst.

5. Which map mods should I avoid?
Ans: Most of them mods you can do, except for blood magic. But do note that this is a COC build, so overall still quite squishy.

Please comment/insult/make fun of my build.

Credits:
1. Mathil
For his inspirational Voltaxic build
2. Hung12a9th
For his ideas and feedback
3. XxLabanxX
For his very cool total chaos build
Last edited by solidghost on Oct 21, 2015, 9:10:06 PM
Added Plateau Map for your viewing pleasure.
hi, what is ur crit chance with the power charges?
Sorry, busy with work. I will get back with that information once I finish my project.
If I remember correctly, it should be somewhere like 70% with all the PCs.

Will add to the main topic.
Last edited by solidghost on Oct 14, 2015, 10:44:32 AM
Updated the guide.
So, I've been tinkering with your tree and build (purely theorycrafting) and I think I might have found some ideas for improvement.

#1 Mana Problem....

I think you can solve this in one of two ways

1) Using Elreon Rings + Jewel Sockets

Let me explain...2x -8 Rings with a level 1 TShot will give you a skill that costs 2. With 9% reduced mana cost of skills (easily attained via jewels socket, which I will explain later) your mana cost becomes 0. This will allow you to Reserve all of your mana on Auras (let's say an added AA or something for defense/DPS)

The downside to this plan is your utility Frenzy, this still maintains a high mana cost and would require further investment to completely rid yourself of mana issues.

2) The way I think is more effective/cheaper to do.

Going Eldritch Battery with Jewel mods +3 ES per enemy hit my your attacks. Can be combined with 1 piece of Elreon jewelry if needed.

WHAT DOES THIS DO!?!? Basically, you get to reserve your mana (YAY!) and use ES for your skills. Since we hit many mobs with all of our attacks, we get the ES regen from jewels to easily maintain cost of skills. If 18 mana for TShot is still too steep even with ES regen from jewels, we can use an Elreon jewelry piece to supplement. Though I doubt this will be an issue.

FINALLY - Tree Changes. I was really stumped at first on how to make your tree more efficient. I wanted to solve all of your problems, though I'm not sure if I can. So here goes.

Let's begin by shaving off 9 points from the witch tree and the 4 mana node points.
What we lose:
15% max life
50% Crit Chance (power Charge)
24% Spell Damage (6 power charges 4% per charge)
60 Intelligence

What we Gain:

An extra herald/Arctic Armor
Eldritch battery - No more mana worries! YAY
Optional Access to Vaal Pact, Link Life Leech instead of Increased Critical Strikes for Excellent Survive-ability.
Changed pathing slightly to gain easy access to 30int/str nodes
4 JEWEL SOCKETS

Jewel sockets are a big deal, each one can give you 16-20% Global Crit Strike Multiplier for lightning skills. At least 2 will need ES on hit, but then you can get CritChance/%Life/IAS/Chaos Damage/Lightning Damage etc....

The tree would look like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYBBS0FtQ2NDdEOSA-rD8QRlhOeFr8byCF2Iuoj9iSLJP0mlSoLLlMwcTB8Mfo2PTfUOdQ6Qjt8QzFFfEd-Sn1LeEz_TZJOKlFHVUtW-luvXfJh4mKsY0NlTWyMb_JwUnDVdO11y3b3eu9-M38rf8aCHoTFhs6HdonTjAuMNo19jX6Nv5eXm7WdqqCfoqOkeKSRtDi3trjKuXy9Nr6nwTPB1cHzwzrNmM_d02_UI9rB2wvdqN7444Tjn-UZ51To1upi7LDtP-4O8Yrz6vv1_MX_3g==

I still was not satisfied.

Jewel Sockets are really strong for this build because there are so many mods that increase your damage, So I though "What if I start at the Scion?" here's what I came up with:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAsZAtqNtZt9aDCb6Am7VfsMpKb553B4cTnKSExcM6VUth4iaVFr8PqySLjDZ-M6SRE55wUonTcNVd8vPqKgtjQw3RDkjxis_dG8jjhGyMnao2PWKsuXyMC-ywwfOio3_GEZbbC4Ie6NYi6gW1OkJLeN2oMHHUI42_TZIj9o19MHxRR__eJP3nVDH6dvc51H8roJ9v8kp945-Hdg2N_MXuDlb6wTOGziF2W6_qYs2YjX5DMUz_Tip1y2VNvqdHfr02eu8FLXTt2sHTby5T7T831A==

What we lose:
56% Elemental Damage
36% crit multiplier (dropped Throatseeker, needed points)
10% projectile Damage (duelist area)

What we gain to compensate:
32% spell damage
10% Attack speed
6% Movement speed
75% Crit Chance
8% Crit Multiplier
+1 Jewel Socket

SO, All that being said, what we finally end up with is this:

+Arctic Armor (receive lees damage)
+EB, no more Mana issues
+10% Increase Attack speed
+6% Movement Speed
+25% Crit Chance
+Access to Vaal Pact for Life Leech option (I would test this, but it seems very good for surviving)

-58% damage
-15% max life
-55 Intelligence
-28% Crit multiplier

+5 JEWEL SOCKETS

These Jewel sockets easily can make up for and even go waay beyond the lost stats from changing the tree. Blue jewels can roll up to 20% total crit multi for your CoC spells, they can have life, IAS etc...possibilities are numerous. You WILL need ES on hit on probably two of the jewels. Would require a little simple testing to determine exact amount.

A couple of things to consider:

Acrobatics halves your ES pool, so while you still don't need a lot of ES to make it worth, you're going to want a couple hundred at least. This is doable through gear no problem. Makes gearing a little more difficult, but definitely worth it.

The skill tree I provided is the same as your "current" tree as far as point usage is concerned. Additional levels can give you damage/life/Vaal Pact/crit multiplier/lightning damage circle...whatever you want.

Anyways! That's my 2 cents worth. You can keep Shadow tree and gain 4 jewel sockets, and Vaal Pact or 4 Jewel Sockets and 8% proj damage (this tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYBBS0FtQ2NDdEOSA_EEZYTnha_Go0byCF2I_Yk_SaVKgsuUzBxMHwx-jY9N9Q51DpCO3xDMUV8R35KfUt4TP9Nkk4qUUdVS1b6WyZbr13yYeJirGNDZU1sjG_ycFJw1XTtdct293rvfjN_K3_Gf_uCHobOh3aJ04wLjDaNfY1-jb-Xl52qoJ-io6R4pJG0OLTFt7a4yrl8vTa-p8EzwdXB88LszZjP3dNv1CPawdsL3aje-OOE45_lGedU6mLssO0_7g7xivPq-_X8xf_e

That tree gives you 2 points to play with (ES/Life nodes north of tree are good options, but whatever you fancy)

Hope this helps! I really enjoyed the concept of your build and might make it on Standard where I have a Voltaxic chillin out not getting used. :) So, thanks for this! And let me know if any of this works. ^^
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Oct 23, 2015, 5:20:48 AM
@ Gryphenprey

Thanks for the very constructive comment. That is what POE is all about! Kudos!

It should work quite well. That was my approximate idea too - not going to the witch tree and using jewels/frenzy charges. But I guess the only issue would be gearing. The intelligence requirement is 155 (159 if using lvl 21 gems). Don't have any decent intelligence nodes. Not to mention lacking strength as well. And of course as you mentioned, you need some ES on gear for EB. But it is doable. In fact, I didn't go to the witch area till late game. My gears at that time had intel on it.

As for EB and ES issues. I see a major problem with fighting bosses/high life rares. Might not regen/leech fast enough (since it is ES on hit) to kill the boss quickly so you are left to kite around while ur ES regens. A bit dangerous for a COC build.

So, I put it together with a level 77 Scion that had a free respec, with some gear that I had lying around here's what I came up with:

Equipment

I have 3.1k Life, 430 ES and +8 ES per hit (3 jewels)

You are right about ES sustain being more difficult against single targets, but it's not that noticeable. Msot bosses have some mobs and they get hit by stray arrows for the regen. Even if you ONLY have 1 target, you still get plenty of casts before actually running out of ES, which then, you just kite, regen, and go back at it.

My current spell gem levels make them pretty useless, so all my DPS is coming from Tornado Shot....which was good enough to easily clear Dominus/Dried lake in merciless.

I think Vaal Pact+Life leech on 6th Link is going to be extremely good for our survive-ability. Alternatively, we can change to Warlord's Mark for the same result (although losing Assassin's mark might be an issue. Maybe grab Windscream and run both?)

When I get some higher level gems and refine my gear, I will run some maps and see how it goes and let you know ;)
I think with better gear you should be able to clear mid level maps easy.

But Gryphenprey, you are losing a significant amount of defense without the evasion in ur chest and other gear, especially at higher lvl maps. With most white mobs, you should be able to destroy them before they even touch you. However some hard hitting mobs and with no other source of defense, you might not be able to survive the hard hits. Even white chargers and leapers can one-shot you (or at least stun you hard). Leech will not help with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info