Lockstep Death

Hi I'm writing this post not to whine about the death my character, or have GGG revive it but to bring concerns of this problem that I suppose some people might relate. Hopefully GGG will address this issue in some appropriate time the problems that lockstep has.

**Situation. 1mhc league

Farming merciless Dried lake and I happen to be hunting Tora's missions, this time it was those needle lizards, they came in huge packs. I cleared about 2 huge packs and went on. Upon approaching the third pack I instantly froze. Now relating to these freezes, I understand that certain times players experience spikes either from server or ISP, and then there are long freezes. Well prepared that this might happen from past experience, I instantly clicked my macro at full hp right when the freeze occurred (That's less than 1 second when freeze occurred). The client lingered for about 3 seconds before logging me out. When I log back on I'm in standard.

Now looking back at the death it was obviously ridiculous. Maybe I should have used alt-f4 instead, because Chris stated that it sends out a logout message much quicker than any macro.

The point being is the problems that lockstep has probably need to be addressed. I experience occasional spikes and freezes on lockstep, my ping is always at 40-63 and rarely ever goes up to 120. Even IF this was packet lost on the player's side there should be someway to prevent the client from freezing up completely.

The notion that each and everyone of my HC characters might one day die, one by one, to lockstep, surely frightens me...

Not sure if I should play in deterministic or auto? I will of course continue to play on HC because that how I roll no matter the number of ridiculous deaths.

Once again hopefully this is made more aware.
Thanks GGG and the community
You realize that the game freeze indicates the communication link is broken between you and the server, right? Lockstep isn't causing your death. It would have happened without lockstep too and instead of the screen freezing the client would be predicting what was happening and you would have thought the death was due to desync.

Edit: and when the communication is broken, alt-f4 wouldn't be faster than anything else. The server wouldn't get the message until the communication was restored.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Oct 6, 2015, 4:54:29 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
You realize that the game freeze indicates the communication link is broken between you and the server, right? Lockstep isn't causing your death. It would have happened without lockstep too and instead of the screen freezing the client would be predicting what was happening and you would have thought the death was due to desync.

Edit: and when the communication is broken, alt-f4 wouldn't be faster than anything else. The server wouldn't get the message until the communication was restored.

Right you are hence why I mentioned the issues still needs to be addressed etc
I gave a simple example of packet loss. The point being is some of it should be more client side to prevent freezing up when the server and client is broken.

etc When I mean not freeze up I mean the obvious as well, that the client should dictate more of your actions etc
Last edited by Noahark778 on Oct 6, 2015, 5:10:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info