Cyclone Min-maxing AS-MS balance.

If you have GG gear and don't really care about your dps anyways, then this is not a post for you, but you are welcome to check it out.

Ok so here goes (btw....Devs please do correct me if i am wrong).

At 98% MS - you can whirl at about 4.6-4.8 whirls a second (counted 23-24 whirls in the 5 seconds tht i press quicksilver over several trials).
-> this means 98% MS (30% from boots, 68% from adrenaline quicksilver, and ignore armor MS penalty node) achieves a reset vs single target at .21739-.20833 second intervals assuming u dont misclick.

Now ive looked at the spin of the cyclone and it appears that hit check is performed in intervals of every half a spin (180degrees), thus giving us 2 possible hits per spin.

What is interesting in this, is that there exist (theoretically) certain breakpoints (depending on your balance of MS & AS) where your character will perform the following sequence:

1. start a cyclone (hit 1).
2. XX Time Delay (of turning 180degrees).
3. Hit check 2 (reached 180degrees).
4. Reset by starting new cyclone (due to movespeed), thus granting yet another hit check.

This process differs from the normal long whirl sequence which is shown by the following:
1. Start a cyclone (hit 1).
2. XX Time Delay (of turning 180degrees).
3. Hit check 2 (reached 180degrees).
4. XX Time Delay (of turning 180Degrees for the full turn).
5. Hit check again (new whirl started).

->So as you can see from the above here that it is possible to skip a 180degree turn delay by having correct ratios of MS-AS, thus min-maxing the skill's dmg output by being able to skip out on excess attack speed in favor of increased physical dmg.

(BTW. If your gonna try this, do it with increased aoe gem, and no knockback, as it might put mob out of range)

Now for cyclone. Your attack time is the time it takes for your character to naturally complete the spin, and remember each spin is 2 hits, meaning the delay between each hit in a natural whirl is half tht of the attack time.
->I.E. if you got an attack time of .4seconds (2.5 aps), then there is a .2second time interval between each hit.

Now, back to the situation with 98% MS, theoretically you need an attack time having a little more (because you want to complete the hit right before the reset) than the ranges from: .43478sec(2.3aps) to .41666sec(2.4aps) along with a consistent ability to whirl around single target at that speed to properly make use of the MS reset. I have tested this at several diff aps and with adrenaline vs non adren quicksilvers and came to the conclusion that the scenario I have presented above is correct.
When using non adrenaline flasks, the hit rate does no show a noticeable increase, however when using the adren quicksilver, boosting to the right amount of MS, a noticable dps (x1.1-1.2 if i had to put a number on it) increase is observed (on both my Crit and RT characters.)

If anyone is interested I would like them to perform the test themselves and help confirm.

How finding this sweet spot can be helpful:
Spoiler
instead of using all ur jewel prefixes to build up say attack speed (i.e 7 jewel prefixes, you can use those prefix slots and get increased dmg instead (assuming you reach the IAS breakpoint already with your chosen weapon), also can swap out a gem like faster attacks for added fire dmg, this will allow you to attack with a similiar speed but do alot more dmg per hit.

General Cyclone dps for the simpler life:
Spoiler
Generally your cyclone dps vs single target is pretty much the tool tip dps. And in the case that it is very slow (i.e. .7 attack time), then your dps is pretty much based on however many whirls you can start based on MS (4.6-4.8 APS at 98%MS)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info