[2.2] Ice Crash Diarrhea | Chieftain | AoF, RT | 117k & 157k DPS

GIF TBA
----------------------------------------------------------------
PROS
- Fun, waves of exploding corpses look hilarious;
- With a certain dose of commitment can be completed without investing dozens of exalteds;
- Unique, not too many AoF RT builds around;
- High clearspeed, clears rather fast for an RT build;
- Able to facetank merciless Izaro at level 67-68.
CONS
- Doryani's Catalyst and Bringer of Rain make it a hard to build spec in a fresh economy;
- Bearers, you'll never see them coming.
- Self-found unfriendly.
2.0 VIDEOS
2.2 VIDEOS
TBA
BACKGROUND STORY: Molten Strike has been one of my favorite skills since its release back in 1.1.3. Thanks to my in-game friends as well as the PoE community I was able to post my very first decent guide known as Meatball Diarrhea (posted as Dzwonsson). Over the course of patches and expansions the build changed dramatically to the point where Molten Strike got replaced by its younger cousin. But, recently I've got a little bit nostalgic and decided to bring meatballs back to life! But, after testing various trees and skills in Standard I came to conclusion that Ice Crash performs much better in an endgame environment. I played this build in Darkshrine and it provided me with lots of fun, however I still felt like certain aspects of it could be improved. With the addition of certain 2.1 features as well as Ascendancy classes I feel this build has gained enough potential to rework it.
THE BASICS: Ice Crash is one of the few main hand only attacks. Because of its mechanics it takes less effort to scale the damage properly, though the tooltip DPS can be very misleading as it features the average attack speed and damage of both main and off-hand weapons. In other words, Ice Crash can be scaled by a variety of modifiers yet they're not properly translated into a tooltip DPS which makes it necessary to use various formulas to calculate the actual damage.
KEYSTONES:
RESOLUTE TECHNIQUE: While going crit is always exciting RT can be a viable alternative if you don't want to invest in neither accuracy nor specialized gear. And while the keystone received some more love from the community in the Awekening, it's still being considered anti-meta (aka hipster).
AVATAR OF FIRE: Remember what I said about scaling Ice Crash's damage? While combined with certain items and supports AoF gives a significant buff to your attacks. In other words AoF makes elemental modifiers as valuable as the physical ones.
NGAMAHU: In our case it is going to serve the role of a bridge keystone. Though, with 35% increased damage against burning enemies it shouldn't feel like wasted potential.
HINEKORA: This keystone is what makes this build powerful. Both additional fire penetration as well as added fire damage and additional leech boost this spec's overall performance.
RAMAKO: One of this build's main weaknesses was the need to cast Warlord's Mark before every single pack. With the Void leech cluster and the Ramako Chieftain keystone this problems get solved as we're able to both leech and generate endurance charges without additional skills.
LEVELING GUIDE
DOESN'T APPLY TO A FRESH LEAGUE START!
NORMAL: Leveling in the normal difficulty is rather straightforward, pick as much life as you can and rely on items when it comes down damage output. Sweep with Pillar of the Caged God or Ice Crash with Facebreakers are really solid. Hidden Potential works nicely with both. Add Meginord's Girdle to the mix and roll blue items with life and resistances and you're good to go till end of cruel. It might seem like a major investment, but these are fairly popular items that are easy to purchase and can serve as a leveling base for any left side oriented build. Try to quick run all quests for additional experience and drops, get some experience in areas like Docks or Dried Lake.
CRUEL: With the gear you crafted in normal you should be fine till approximately mid Act 4. Then simply reroll your blue items, maybe get a white 5-link chest for a few chaos. You can cover crafting expenses with your drops. If you completed all side quests you shouldn't be underleveled. Otherwise run some Dried Lake as soon as you get there.
MERCILESS: Hidden Potential isn't as efficient as in the previous difficulties, so you might wanna get rare jewelry with flat physical, life and resistances. Run the side quests, remember that Ledge, Fellshrine Ruins and Docks aren't as effective as they used to be. With that being said, exp Dried Lake for as long as you can. You can easily get to level 80 there. It's also good for your wealth which is definitely going to help you in aqcuiring and crafting the gear required for this spec.
BANDITS:
Normal: Oak +40 life
Cruel: Oak +18% melee physical damage
Merciless: Kraityn +1 max frenzy charges
GEARING:
MANDATORY GEAR
Note: Please read the description and gem links before coloring your sockets.

BRINGER OF RAIN: This build profit greatly from the features of this item granting both offense and defense. Purchasing BoR instead of a 6-link also reduced the overall cost of this spec.

DORYANI'S CATALYST: Since we're running AoF and 100% of our damage is converted to fire Doryani's is the best weapon you can get. Over 100% increased damage and we still benefit from the multiplicative modifiers of dual wield. 0.2% elemental life leech can be seen as a sweet topping.

PRISMATIC ECLIPSE: With two green and a red socket equaling 24% increased attack speed and 25% increased damage we get a solid influx of additional DPS. Prismatic Eclipse also allows us to use Whirling Blades which is by far the fastest way to move around. Additional block further improves our defenses.

PYRE: Converting cold to fire damage allows us to fully benefit from Hatred. Not to mention that as of 2.0 corpse explosions generate mild screen shakes! They also get rid of possible Vaal Detonate Dead sources (strongboxes, I'm looking at you!).
2.2 STANDARD GEAR
GEAR FAQ
What jewelry should I be looking for? Your perfect prefix trio should be physical damage, weapon elemental damage and life. If you want to get higher tier rolls it's going to cost you a ton, so I suggest playing it smart and being creative. WED and flat fire/cold damage will do. Flat physical and flat fire/cold will be fine too. On top of that you want resistances and dexterity/intelligence. To run this build at full capacity you need 113 INT and 155 DEX total.

What about belt? Why no Meginord's? Meginord's got nerfed in 2.0, In my opinion a rare leather belt with high life, weapon elemental damage, armor and resistances is worth much more than additional 1,000 tooltip DPS. You could always try to get a similar rustic sash to compensate, but it'd cost you a lot of currency.

What kind of jewels do I need? Considering that we're lacking life, increased maximum life should be your priority. After that, get increased damage (generic, physical while dual wielding, physical with one handed weapons or maces, fire damage).
GEM LINKS:

MAIN SKILL (BoR)*:
1S: Ice Crash
2L: Weapon Elemental Damage
3L: Fire Penetration
4L: Increased Area of Effect**
You can easily get 20% quality by flipping your gems once they hit level 20.
**Can be swapped for Concentrated Effect against bosses.

AURAS:
2L: Blasphemy & Flammability
3L: Herald of Ash
4L: Arctic Armor

BUFFS:
1S: Blood Rage
2L: Increased Duration
3L: Vaal Haste

1S: Rallying Cry
2L: Increased Duration
3L: Increased Area of Effect
4L: Blood Magic

MOVEMENT:
1S: LVL5 Whirling Blades
2L: Fortify/Faster Attacks
3L: Blood Magic
2.2 STATS
REGULAR OFFENSE

Buffs: Q20 LVL20 Herald of Ash, Q20 LVL20 Blood Rage, 5 F-charges, LVL20 Rallying Cry
Because Ice Crash is a main hand only skill, this sheet is inaccurate as it features the average of both weapons. Below the actual DPS calculations:
Real Hit: (12,551 + 23,575) / 2 = 18,153
Real APS: (1.61 x (100-25)/100 x (100+10)/100) x Modifier (155%) = 3.38
Real DPS: 18,153 x 3.38 = 61,357 x Fire Penetration (91%) = 117,191
BUFFED OFFENSE

Buffs: Q20 LVL20 Herald of Ash, Q20 LVL20 Blood Rage, 5 F-charges, LVL20 Rallying Cry, LVL 20 Vaal Haste, Taste of Hate
Because Ice Crash is a main hand only skill, this sheet is inaccurate as it features the average of both weapons. Below the actual DPS calculations:
Real Hit: (14,822 + 27,839) / 2 = 21,330
Real APS: (1.61 x (100-25)/100 x (100+10)/100) x Modifier (190%) = 3.86
Real DPS: 21,330 x 3.86 = 82,333 x Fire Penetration (91%) = 157,257
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
Last edited by Weißenberg on Mar 17, 2016, 10:52:01 AM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2016, 8:05:42 AM
Bump because solid and because I tested your Blitz Diarrhea build and it worked perfectly.
IGN: AlrithrienDuelheartX (Low Lvl PvP-only), AryaShurtugal (lvl 86 ranger)
Last edited by Alrithrien on Oct 4, 2015, 10:00:53 AM
Re-wrote certain parts of the guide and added a vid.
I love the build, and have done something similar with nycta's lantern (albeit with much worse gear!) but I have a question:
Why use pyre over a cold to fire gem?
If you replaced your added fire gem you shouldn't lose too much damage:

You have 36% added as cold from hatred, 50% converted to cold from ice crash, so:
Added Fire:
(Base Damage)+(Hatred)+(Added Fire)+(Herald of Ash)
100%+36%+44%+15%=195% of base damage
Cold to Fire:
(Base damage)+(Hatred)+(Herald of Ash)+(Cold added as fire)*(Portion that has been Cold)= Total damage %
100%+36%+15%+0.29*(50%+36%)=175% of base damage

If you can see something wrong with the math, let me know, but Cold to Fire should only cost you (20/195) = 10% of your final dps.

Is this worth a ring slot? I would have thought that a ring slot would let you have a higher life pool, higher resistances (inc chaos), and could make up the difference in dps with a solid attack speed or added physical damage roll (you appear to have a metric ton of scaling).
I have a feeling that a good attack speed and phys ring could even add more dps than you would lose (with a life roll).
The corpse removal generally isn't considered THAT valuable (or is it?).

Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway, thanks, its a very nice build, and very very nice gear!

Edit: Forgot herald of ash
Last edited by theshadedone on Oct 29, 2015, 10:52:53 PM
You're right that detonating corpses has limited viabilty (it only gives you an advantage against certain mods on stronboxes). And when it comes down to math, I calculated potential damage with 1,000 base hit damage (it's only an example), what I got was 73,517 to 62,383 DPS. And that's still ~15%, but also 10,000+ damage. Pyre gives me some resistance and all what I'm actually missing on is 200 life (70 from a ring x % modifiers). And now the question is, do you wanna lose 15% of your damage to get 3% additional life? (I'm currently sitting on 5,500+ on my Marauder). Also, this is gonna be very likely the updated tree:
Last edited by Weißenberg on Oct 30, 2015, 8:36:43 AM
What do you recommend to use while leveling? Since doryani is very expensive early on in league, would you recommend using a 2H mace until I can afford the doryani?
When we're talking about the absolute early game (Normal and Cruel difficulties) a 2-hander will probably get the job done. Later on, I'd rather recommend any solid 1-hander with Prismatic Eclipse in off-hand. Not necessarily a scepter (since you're probably gonna struggle with INT), but really any 1-hander will do. If you can get a weapon with solid physical base and WED, you're good to go until you get Doryani's.
Added current Darkshrine gear, thinking about making a guide video since I've got a working mic.
is this atziri viable?
I'm enjoying this build so far, but because you don't get Ice Crash until Level 28, I've skilled up Molten Strike (which I love). I've noticed for some rare and unique monsters, alternating between the two makes a difference and that sometimes Molten Strike does way more damage. But, I can see how Ice Crash is much more viable since it does all around the character instead of just in front of where you hit.

I altered minor things in the tree which I can change back as the build gets bigger.
The marauder I have is now in Act 3 of Cruel and so far, the things that hurt the most have been ones with chaos or lightning damage. Granted, I do need to upgrade my gear, but I'm lazy.

Malachi at the end of Normal gave me a bit of trouble, but a friend helped me with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info