So which aspects of the game are now taboo for discussion?

"
The thing is, Bars's thread was in no way new, or even constructive :

This whole "which UI do you like better?" thing has been discussed through and through in the globe girls thread.
Also, such a poll is biased and misleading : people wanting to return to the old UI are much more likely to answer it than people that like the new one more.

When Bars made his thread, right after the other ones were locked, it was just a way of trying to circumvent the moderation that had been made.

And I'd guess they are pushing on the "Moderation is oppressive" concept so that they can still manage to get the prior message through : "Give us our globe girls back".

It has been discussed through and through... But no poll was made. Could you explain why the poll was biased or misleading because I can't see the logic? Why should people who want the old UI answer more than people who prefer the new one? This is a baseless assumption.

Wouldn't the much more logical conclusion be that if an overwhelming majority votes for one option, it's just what the majority prefers? Isn't this valuable information for GGG?

I do disagree with GGG's moderation and thread locking and I've said repeatedly this thread was a way to express my disagreement. However, this does not invalidate its worth or the fact that it provides a new perspective. The way they handled my thread was just another demonstration of the problem I'm talking about, so I'll continue to talk about it and disagree.

"
Hodari wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
When I make a poll about it and 12 out of 14 voters say they preferred the old interface, doesn't that tell us something?

Yes, it tells us that only people who actually give a shit about the subject are going to read your thread at all, let alone take the time to vote in some meaningless "poll". The ones who are happy with things the way they are or the ones who are completely sick of people whining over and over about the same meaningless topics that have been discussed to death already, probably won't. Not to mention that the vast majority of players probably never even read the forums to begin with.

What your post tells me is that you are quite emotional about the subject, and not in a nice way. If you truly don't care about it, you'll happily ignore the discussions and go about your business. I don't see what's the big fucking deal in letting people talk about it. I think not letting them talk about it is a big deal.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 2, 2015, 7:42:32 AM
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
One thing you can't overlook:

this thread is not locked.

I bet Rachel's finger twitched though. <3

Rachel knows I care deeply about POE and have only its best interest in mind.
As human beings, which I believe includes most game developers, we can only grow if we are open to criticism, including the uncomfortable kind.

As a former developer I can say that we are a special breed. Thick skins and can't take anything personal is a requisite. HOWEVER, I can also say that non-constructive criticism which we all do sometimes because of our passion ( why else would we even provide criticism ) does sting a little for the developer in charge of that chunk of code/art whatever. It's hard to not take things personally sometimes when you've possibly put months of effort and hundreds of hours into something, just to hear your audience provide two words of feedback, "this sucks".

A good way to avoid this is to interact with your audience, a simple, "which part don't you like and why?" would go such a long way to having healthy discussions.

Maybe however the GGG stance is brilliant....they remind me of Darth... Take your Wraeclast weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
This is about GGG's moderation policy, not about the interface. I vaguely prefer the globe girls but I don't really care - I don't notice the interface at all when I play.

The interface problem is simple: seems a majority of users prefer the old one for whatever reason, GGG chooses to keep it as it is - fine. It's their game, they do what they want.

But choosing to delete any UI-related discussion from the forum? Because they don't like it?

That's not fucking fine and that's what the thread is really about. The forum is supposed to be the place where the community also has a stake. They are silencing the community when they hear something they don't like and that's a big fucking mistake because the community will respond by not participating in the forum - which is, by the way, happening. The forum is much less active than it used to be.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 2, 2015, 7:54:55 AM
"
Bars wrote:
The forum is much less active than it used to be.

Well, to be fair, General Discussion and Off Topic are a bit dead. But the Feedback/Suggestions forum, the Tech Support forum, Gameplay Help & Discussion, and Bug Reports seem to be ticking along pretty well.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Oct 2, 2015, 7:57:52 AM
Hello again. This thread has now been locked as it has incited several inappropriate responses in the short time it was left open. It was originally left open for discussion as the topic was open-ended, however as the majority of the responses have been moderation complaints and comments about the UI changes, the discussion is no longer open.

Once again, if you have any concerns about moderation please let us know by emailing support@grindinggear.com, and we will be able to forward your concerns on to the appropriate team member.

Regarding the UI changes: Dan has directly explained this issue above. If you have any further constructive feedback to share about the UI changes, please email them to us directly and we will forward those concerns on.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info