[2.0] Yawnbands' Cheapish Righteous Fire Dual Incinerate Totem (Also with Dual Curse!)

Origin: The build initially started as just a way to kill Core Map Malachai with a friend who plays Poison Arrow build. We did have a good run but we ran out of time and cash before we could properly test it on Malachai himself.

The Build is pretty simple, it was a combination of multiple build ideas that I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with, but nobody seems to be posting it. You run Ancestral Bond with enough life regen and fire resists to get the spell damage benefits of Righteous Fire. The Build also incorporates a few other uniques to maximize damage, such as Three Dragons.

Tooltip Damage with 5 Link

And as with most tooltip dps, it misses quite a few mechanics that would make the true damage much higher.

Pros
High Damage
Double Curse
Safe with Double Totem
Can run most map mods easily
Can run all map mods by tweaking
Life Build
Medium amount of Jewels at endgame

Cons
Totems need babysitting in High Maps
Runs righteous fire (No regen!)
A bit squishy

Items

This Build makes use of a few uniques to work well... and a couple mandatory ones.

Rain of Splinters

Rain of Splinters is a jewel that is needed for our incinerate to spread. It may seem like a steep damage nerf, but it doesn't alter much with the already reduced damage spell totem gives. Of course as close to 30% reduction the better :)
The Jewel in question:

The Jewel can be removed when killing single bosses such as Daresso (Collosseum map), but on normal bosses the slight damage reduction seems like a waste not to have for the spread to kill adds.

Dealing with Righteous Fire

For Those not familiar with Righteous fire. You need as much Fire Resistance to mitigate the self inflicted burning damage you take. So we have to use a shield that increases our Maximum Fire Resistance called:
Rise of the Phoenix

But also, because we'd still be lacking a bit in life regeneration, even with Rise of the Phoenix and the tree nodes, we need another unique that boosts life regen by another 2%.
Shaper's Seed Agate Amulet

Both these items + a lvl 20 purity of Fire + Max Fire nodes will keep you at a slight positive life Regen while using Righteous fire. This is essentially the goal so that we benefit from the added damage of Righteous Fire

This is also considering you can actually find a level 20 Purity of Fire gem, if you're simply levelling your own gem yourself, you won't have a level 20 by the point where you could use RF. You can however alter the tree a bit (check the tree tab) and get more aura nodes and use a jewel named conqueror's Potency to achieve enough Fire Resist to compensate. This route does take a few regrets to get back on track for the normal level 20 purity when you do get it the right level, so do keep this in mind.
The jewel in question.

Now there's a variety of ways to alternately deal with the degen. If you wish to skip using the shaper's amulet for a +1 curse amulet for instance, by getting a few aura effect nodes from the tree and a couple small life regen nodes in the templar tree, we can also achieve the balance needed. This would even be recommended for endgame, I simply didn't because the league ended before I found a good enough amulet to my liking.
To Achieve this you just need Conqueror's Potency Gem and some tweaking of the tree. But do keep in mind that you are sacrificing a jewel slot for this as well. (Check my tree tab for the alternate tree)
Example:

Three Dragons Helm

This Build also utilizes the great damage increase from Three Dragons.
The Item in question:

By making incinerate able to shock, it effectively increase the damage taken of all enemies hit by the totems by another 50%. Combine this with the added damage of hitting an enemy with Status Ailments from Celestial Punishment it makes the build really takeoff, even prior to using Righteous Fire. The damage from using this item alone is good enough to take you to high 70 maps (I noticed a decline at about 77 maps where Righteous Fire really was starting to be helpful)

It should be mentioned also that +shock jewels may help somewhat on shocking high health mobs, but I didn't notice a need for them at all.

The Defenses! ...err chests.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Coil
Since this build doesn't have much for it in the sense of dealing with incoming damage, that's where these chests come into play. I chose a Lightning coil myself for this, as the phys to lightning makes you quite a bit tankier (for anything physical anyway).

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belly_of_the_Beast
A Belly of the Beast would work as well if you so desire. Using a Belly would make your Ruby Flasks gain more health regen which can be nice for some degen aspects.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaom%27s_Heart
Kaom's Heart can also be used, but it makes you drop to a 4Link incinerate which isnt always ideal... but gaining that much health and the increased fire damage might make up for some of the damage loss from the lost links.

Flasks

This one is simple. Since you are life based with no Energy Shield Regen (due to Righteous Fire), you will want a couple health pots and a couple ruby flasks. The fifth can be interchanged... but I ended up only using a Granite all the time.
Example setup:

Seething is always nice to have on health pots for the Oshit buttons. On using the rubies they will give you your life regen back that was taken from righteous fire for any incoming damage or possible effects that you would need some regen back for. Granite is nice for well any physical damage incoming.

A nice fifth alternate can be
which helps by giving an additional mitigation aspect.
Of course if you can afford it Taste of Hate is extremely nice to have as well, better than anything a granite could give you. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Taste_of_Hate

Do keep in mind that you should roll a remove curse to remove the many curses that can affect your righteous fire degen.

Optional utility(mostly for hardcore players). If you roll a remove burn on pots and use the flask, it will remove righteous fire on command. If this isn't something you want to be doing accidently then consider rolling flasks without remove burns.

Weapon

For the weapon you want to get as high spell damage as you can get with a "x elemental damage added to spells" weapon. Faster casting can also be very useful to have on a weapon as well.
Examples of weapons to use.

Rest of gear simply as much life/armor as you can while maintaining resist capped with purity of fire up (having over cap on fire can be useful as you don't get affected as much by curses or Elemental Equilibrium)

Bandits

Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Help Alira
Merciless - Kill All

Trees

End of League Build (Lvl 91)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA3UEswYOCfYLYQxfEMwRLRQgFm8XLxhWGGoZLho4GmwcpxzcJKonLyftKhMsnDbpOuE8LUGHRZ1G11BHU1JTpVXWWAdYd1jlWfNaK15dXwRfP2P9ZOdmVGaeZ5todGjycYVyD3aseC965nsgfIN85X31gKSCm4Nfg8yMRo8aj0aQVZErlG-UoJo7muCboZ2uogCj8qZXpwinlK2Nrj6vbLFCtz7AZsMTxFjE9sauz37R_dR81abYTdi92WHaYtq52t3hc-Nq5CLkUevu7TzvDvAf8kX2SPiT-ej60v4K_oc=

Alternate tree for +1 Curse Amulet (Lvl 91)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA3UEswYOCfYLYQxfDR8QzBEtFCAWbxcvGFYZLho4GmwcpxzcJKoksCcvJ-0qEyycNuk64TwoPC1Bh0WdRtdQR1NSU6VV1lh3WOVZ81orXl1fBF8_Y_1k52ZUZp5nm2h0aPJxhXIPdqx65nsgfA58g331gKSCm4Nfg8yMRo8akFWRK5RvlKCaO5rgnL6drqIAo_KmV6cIp1WnlK2Nrj6vbLFCtz7AZsMTxFjE9sauz37R_dR81abYTdi92WHaYtq52t3hc-Nq5CLkUevu7TzvDvAf8kX2SPiT-ej60v4K_oc=

Righteous Fire Transition With Level 20 Purity of Fire (lvl 75)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA3UEswYOCfYLYQxfEMwRLRQgFm8XLxhWGS4aOBpsHKckqiftKhMsnDbpPC1Bh0WdRtdQR1NSU6VV1lh3WOVZ81orXl1fBF8_Y_1k52aeZ5todGjycYVyD3aseuZ7IHyDffWApIKbg1-DzJBVkSuUoJo7muCdrqIAo_KnCKeUrY2uPq9ssUK3PsBmwxPEWMT2xq7PftH91HzVpthN2L3ZYdpi2rna3eFz42rkIuRR6-7tPO8O8B_2SPiT-ej60v4K_oc=

Righteous Fire Transition Without Level 20 Purity of Fire (lvl 75)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAABLMGDgn2C2EMXxDMFCAWbxcvGFYZLho4Gmwcpx2qJKoksCftKhMtqDbpPC1Bh0WdRnFG11BHU1JTpVXWWOVZ81orXz9j_WTnZp5nm2h0aPJxhXIPdqx65nsgffWApIKbgwmDX4PMkFWUoJo7muCdrqIAo_KnCK2Nrj6vbLFCsZC3PrfWwGbDE8RYxPbGrs9-1HzVpthN2L3ZYdpi2rna3dtZ4XPhiONq5CLkUevu7TzvDvAf9kj4k_no-tL-Cv5J_oc=

Map Ready (lvl 67)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAABLMGDgn2C2EMXxDMFm8XLxhWGS4aOBpsHKckqicvJ-0qEy2oNZI26TrhPC1Bh0WdRtdN41NSU6VV1ljlWfNaK2P9ZOdmnmh0aPJxhXIPeuZ7IH31gKSCm4MJg1-DzJBVlKCaO5rgna6iAKPyplenCK2Nr2yxQrGQtz631sBmwxPE9sauz37UfNWm2E3Yvdlh2mLaudrd21nhc-Nq5CLr7u088B_yRfiT-ej60v4K_of-jw==

What to rush for Fast Levelling (36-39 depending on progress)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAABLMLYRZvGFYabCSqKhM1kjbpOuE8LUGHTeNY5VorZp5odGjygpuDX4PMlKCaO6IAo_KmV69stz7AZsau1abYTdi92mLhc-Nq5CLtPPAf8kX56PrS_gr-jw==

Auras

Auras used in this build
Standard
Anger
Purity of Fire
Clarity

When needed
Herald of Lightning
Purity of Elements

These get swapped out when dealing with different map mods, see the "Dealing with certain map mods" for more details.

Links

Incinerate

4L -> Incinerate - Spell Totem - Fire Pen - Faster Casting/Faster Projectiles/Slower Projectiles (Swap Faster Casting for Faster projectiles if you want better clear area and don't have quality incinerate, Slower Projectiles for boss fights)
5L -> Incinerate - Spell Totem - Fire Pen - Faster Casting - Faster Projectiles/Slower Projectiles
6L -> Incinerate - Spell Totem - Fire Pen - Faster Casting - Faster Projectiles - Slower Projectiles/Empower(only if you are using a +1 chest)

Curse on hit setups

I had both link setups for convenience until I was doing 82 maps.

For hard content
4L -> Curse on hit - Ball Lightning(lvl 1) - Temp chains - Enfeeble

For fast clear content
4L -> Curse on hit - Ball Lightning(lvl 1) - Elemental Weakness - Flammability

Cast When Damage Taken

4L -> CWDT(lvl 1) - Immortal Call(lvl 3) - Phase Run(lvl 3) - Increased Duration
Immortal Call CWDT can save your life in many instances, including Malachai barrage toss.
Phase Run is convenient for moving faster and running through mobs.

Flame Dash

2L - > Flame Dash - Faster Casting

Various others unlinked

Anger
Purity of Fire
Righteous Fire
Clarity
Summon Flame Golem

Helpful optional links
3L Vaal Haste - Increased Duration - Enduring Cry

Some of my Gear

This is the gear I have, I did yolo corrupt because I hadn't intended to play this character any more... here it is.

Dealing with certain map mods

This is the List of troublesome mods you can encounter as this build and how to deal with each :)

Mirrorred - Monsters reflect x% of elemental Damage

The Reflect isn't dangerous to you in any way, but your totems will be getting rekt from the damage they do. The easiest way to deal with it if you have enough totem nodes from the tree is to simply swap out

with

If you are using a tabula or a white socket for your incinerate you can alternately swap out

instead for it.

If even with this swap, your totems are still dying before they kill all mobs, then it may be time to start looking at another jewel until you get more totem nodes.
The Jewel in question:

and simply place it as so in the tree.

Now do keep in mind other factors here, such that if you're running conqueror's potency, make sure you are far enough along to have 3 jewel slots. (the low level purity of fire route should get the 3 jewels needed for this.)

of Elemental Weakness - Players are cursed with level 15 Elemental Weakness

This is only an issue if you don't have 34% fire resist over cap with purity of fire on.
For this one you can do one of 2 things, you can either chain

as you go, which is what I ended up doing near the end.
Or the other option is by taking off

And putting on

Instead.
This will reduce the damage you do by a slight amount, but is the safer route.
If you don't have quite the purity of elements gem levels or enough +aura effects from the tree and still not hitting fire res capped, you may want to consider just using option 1 (unless, of course, you're playing hardcore which I would strongly recommend reaching res capped.)

of exposure - -x% maximum Player Resistances

This one you would think would be unrunable as righteous fire. But as long as the -max res isn't higher than 10% you can still run these by chaining Ruby Flasks.

The only time I would consider not doing this is if you're damage is a bit lacking or doing very high level maps that you're not clearing mobs fast enough to keep up.
The other option is to simply run without Righteous Fire
For this you take off

and put on

instead

In hardcore I'd be mindful of how far your resists drop as well, if without purity of fire you're nearing 50% fire res instead of the reduced res cap, I may suggest keeping purity of fire on, just in case.

of Hemomancy - Players have Blood Magic

This one is pretty hectic to run in high maps due to the damage reduction. If possible I'd avoid this one altogether, but if you have to run it... Just take off all auras and righteous fire. Pretty simple, but big damage reduction.

of Insulation - Monsters have x% chance to Avoid Elemental Status Ailments

This one requires no tweaking really, but you may notice a damage nerf at 60% and definitely at 100%.
If you're running a 100% map, If you want, you can swap out your

for a helm with Life/Armor, as long as you maintain res capped, it will make you tankier and you'll receive no damage loss from the swap.

of Smothering - Players recover Life, Mana and Energy Shield x% slower

This one is another you can deal with by chaining Ruby Flasks. As long as it's not a combination of another map that effects your resists, the ruby flask will entirely negate the regen loss.

Again if your damage is a bit lacking or your clear speed is a bit too slow to keep up on flask charges, you can always turn off Righteous Fire and Purity of Fire and put on Herald of Thunder.

of Stasis - Players cannot regenerate Life or Mana

This one you can't deal with just ruby flasks, your regen becomes 0 so you have to give up on using Righteous Fire for this one. I would suggest swapping out

for

if your resists allow for it.

Also swap one of your ruby flasks for a

because you'll need it to cast spells :)

of Vulnerability - Players are cursed with Vulnerability

And this one is another one that can easily be dealt with by chaining Ruby Flasks

If you're having problems clearing fast enough to keep up on flask charges, then you'll need to swap out Purity of Fire for Herald of Thunder and simply not use Righteous Fire

Videos
Placeholder

Fighting the three 82 map bosses
Placeholder

I'll try to finish the build in the next few days. Sorry for the delay to anyone interested :)
Last edited by Boulz on Oct 1, 2015, 7:31:06 PM
Hey thanks for posting this. I was asking in guild about an rf incincerator, I was told how popular it was but there are no guides lol.

My question is but how do you deal with degen like shocking ground maps and desecrated earth?

My plan was to run bm gem and have 100% reserved to run anger, p of fire and vitatily. I see your not running vitality. Comments?

I was planning to run this on hardcore temp as well
"
catinbox32 wrote:
Hey thanks for posting this. I was asking in guild about an rf incincerator, I was told how popular it was but there are no guides lol.

My question is but how do you deal with degen like shocking ground maps and desecrated earth?

My plan was to run bm gem and have 100% reserved to run anger, p of fire and vitatily. I see your not running vitality. Comments?

I was planning to run this on hardcore temp as well

Hey there,

Yea you are right that running on shocked ground and desecrates can cause you to degen when you're standing on them. The easiest way to deal with it if you're not already using ruby flasks from different map mods is to simply use those to get your regen back. Hitting 98% fire res gives you almost all your regen back from your tree.

I did originally run vitality as well or at least was swapping it to deal with different map mods, but eventually I found other ways to deal with things so I dropped it entirely.

Also the blood magic reserved life thing you are thinking of doing would work as well, the only issue is that you'd have a much smaller life pool. I'd be very afraid with a life pool so small, especially if you're thinking of doing that in hardcore ;)
iso more info, interesting in this build
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
why help alira on cruel? Fcr wont affect totems
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
awsome build, would be great if you add a section on leveling guide unless im blind and cant see it. so maybe what skill gems you use to level until certain points
Could someone explain the difference between Incinerate Totem and Flame Totem and why he picked Incinerate?
"
pockeychan wrote:
Could someone explain the difference between Incinerate Totem and Flame Totem and why he picked Incinerate?

Just to make it simple:
Flame Totem
Flame totem is capable of doing critical strikes and will only have high damage outcome with investments in crit on top of spell damage/cast speed/elemental damage nodes. (you can refer to the passive skill tree to see where those clusters are located and you will see crit nodes are somewhat far)
In terms of gem links, Flame totem + Faster casting + Faster projectiles are pretty much the mandatory 3L, while there are 3 more gems to choose.

Other Support Gem Options
Fire penetration: Amazing gem when mobs have high fire res and you deal fire damage only
Added cold/lightning/chaos damage: Amazing damage boost but does not benefit from fire pen at all
Slower projectile: Nice damage boost but reduces the range of the flame ridiculously so it is not too ideal to run slower projectile in a normal mapping setup but can be used for boss fights
Culling strike: Nice damage boost
Iron will: Nice damage boost ONLY IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF STRENGTH (in fact crit builds are usually lacking str)

Overall I found myself in an awkward position when I was trying to choose what support gems to use for Flame Totem in a 6L setup.
With lv20 gems and appropriate gear/gem setup, 6L crit flame totem should be able to reach 500k dps easily
I did not do much math about this but someone might have done some calculation.

Also, flame totem has a relatively higher mana cost when using 5-6L (around 150 each)

Incinerate Totem
Incinerate does not crit, neither does the totem version. So you can focus on everything else. In OP's case, he decided to go RF which requires a whole lot of life regen so he went for that as well as HP and spell/elemental damage (everything about is nicely positioned in the templar-witch-scion area)

Gem links is pretty much all what OP said in the guide but I would recommend using Iron will to compare the damage boost difference from using Empower.
Use culling strike in normal mapping because I found it annoying to have the reduced range.

Incinerate totem has an extremely low mana cost due to the base mana cost of incinerate even when it's 6-linked (around 50).

A huge difference between Flame Totem and Incinerate Totem is that you are most likely going to deal multiple types of damage (fire/cold/lit/chaos) while Incinerate Totem pretty much does pure fire damage (I have tested before and running heralds only brought around 500/each dps to my tooltip while the original damage was 24k with RF on).

***Note that incinerate does 400% of the damage shown on tooltip when it reaches stage 4***

The damage types affect the choice of curses. OP uses dual resistance curses which can significantly reduce the fire res of mobs and make the damage super effective.

(you will probably consider assasin's mark for flame totem if that is the only curse you are running)

Incinerate needs a few seconds to warm up to reach full dps while flame totem doesnt.

I know I did a terrible job trying to explain the difference between these two kinds of totems, but if you are just hesitating which totem you should be using as a beginner I'll say go for incinerate totem first due to lower gearing requirements (again I apologize for not discussing this but it will take too much time if I do)

After you have grinded up and got some good currency to afford crit gears, try flame totem with another character if you are still interested in playing as a totem summoner.

If you got any questions, feel free to send me a PM on forum or try to reach me in game.

My IGN is PrincipleL.

Kindly reminder
DO NOT-----
I repeat

DO NOT USE FLAME TOTEM for LiftingNerdsBro's BM FT build if you are follwing that guide.

Use Incinerate totem instead with the exact same tree. (at least 200% more damage this way)
Thank you PrincipleL. You did a great job explaining. You've helped me out immensely. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info