[2.1] Crit Ele Cleave aka the "Slap-Chop" Beginner Friendly

Update for 2.1!!
VERY few things have changed for this build in 2.1
1. Assassin's Mark + Blasphemy
2. Crit/crit multi Talisman
3. Mana cost is alot easier to sustain and if you wanted too you could spec into a few Aura reserve nodes and get Poacher's Mark + Blasphemy

That's pretty much it, nothing much has changed...Yeah.

UPDATE FOR 2.2
Playing this build as a scion isnt great anymore, you would be MUCH stronger as an Inqusitor, therefore I'm closing this thread.

RIP good build.

Hello everyone, welcome to my Ele Cleaver guide AKA the "Slap-Chop"!

Real quick I wanna give an explanation of how this build came to be.
I already had the build made, and was leveling, then a took a break from it and worked on a different character. Later that night I was watching an elite PoE streamer, he and his friends were talking about what they wanted to roll for the coming 1 month, one of them said he wants to roll a support and the streamer said he would consider melee, made me think of my build, so I suggested it and he immediately said "good luck with EE maps" and usually I don't get into the mood of "well Ill show you and prove your ass wrong!" but in this instance I did. Fast forward to the next day, got to level 66, got my last skill point in Merciless and went straight into mapping. My first map HAD to be EE + a resist (was EE + lightning res FYI) and I was really on the fence about this, I knew that my damage would be nerfed really hard, but if I could clear at a decent pace it would be whatever, build still works, GG NP. First pack, shattered and triggered HoT, now HoT is pure lightning damage, you can only add different ele damage to it with added damage supports, so HoT with trigger EE to have mobs resist lightning, then I hit then, switch EE to all res, HoT switches it back to only lightning, and so on, SO IM EE PROOF ELITE STREAMER!
Sorry, just had to get that out of the way, now for the meat and potatos of the build.

Gear and gear explenations

For your sword you need Cold + Lightning damage, crit, attack speed and either accuracy or crit multi. As for your 3rd prefix, Ill give you a priority order, Chaos damage -> Fire Damage -> WED. You might be asking why chaos damage over Fire Damage and its simple, Chaos damage is Chaos Damage, as long as you have enough fire damage to ignite, so that Celestial Punishment can trigger, your fine. I would only get a WED sword if its all you can find, or maybe you found a sword with the correct stats, 2 t1 ele rolls and 30+ WED, you could use that.

Rings, rings are super important to any ele build and there always crazy expensive because you really need a 6 stat ring to have "correct" rings. You need 30+ WED, as much life as possible and either Cold or Lightning flat damage, then you need as much resists and if you need stats, you need a stat and resists, maybe you want accuracy, maybe you want crit multi, as you can tell its very hard to find really good rings with good rolls, because most of the time, you find a rare ring, you look for life and resists, if it doesn't have that, if goes in the dumpster, and you cant blame them cus everyone wants to sell stuff and make more moneys.

Amulet, ammy is another important slot, its where you get more crit chance and crit multi, more accuracy, ect ect, same situation as rings, hard to find good ones, and the good ones are multiple exalts.

Belt, get 30+ WED and then resits, done. Just make sure it has high WED.

Helm, get as much armor, life and resists as you can, get some Accuracy if possible.

Shield, lots of armor, lots of life, lots of resists, easy.

Boots, I would suggest Blood Dance, they give us 3-4% regen, good damage boost, there just really good boots, you should be using them whenever possible.

Chest, I would get a Lightning Coil, it gives us good damage, at level 60 before I got Celestial Punishment it gave me 700 dps, then you got the defensive aspect of it. Just get a coil, you wont be sad.

Gloves, this is a very important slot of any ele build, we can get more flat damage, more accuracy and attack speed. Finding a good pair of gloves can be VERY expensive because the only people keeping these gloves recognize the value of them.

Flasks, if you have a Taste of Hate, use it, its like a Coil on top of your Coil. If you have a Rumis you should use that too, its OP. besides that you need your Bleed flask, maybe a Freeze Flask and your standard "gotta go fast" flask

Gems: Cleave > Multistrike > Weapon Ele Damage > Blood Magic > Critical Strike Multiplier > Increased Area/Life Gain on Hit/Life Leech/Added Chaos
Vaal Haste > Duration > Enduring cry > Blood Magic
Leap Slam/Whirling Blades > Blood Magic > Fortify > Faster Attacks

Jewels: Jewels are actually kinda annoying cus there are now that have WED for some reason I could never explain, guess have WED on jewels was deemed OP buy GGG or maybe unnecessary cus no one plays ele anymore? Kappa Just get as much Crit/Crit Multi as you can, if you got room get some life.

Special note about Static Electricity, it needs to be put between Scion, Shadow and Ranger next to Vaal Pact. I personally want to attack really fast so I went for attack speed, that was a personal choice, also I use Leap Slam so I desperately need attack speed.

Passive Tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/LorewynGaming/characters (LoreCleaver is this build)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAA2E07KJSgA5baYm49aHQYVmBDvoD56IMJQYdvnrc-nKTKSvGzg8z-CocTX7BLVzwt2L13B5u1wOPGroNfwzqExcT2C2Eki3Kpr2wPq6yq9zJo8ha_bWxZ85J96hg87_AfJpW1SDY9GjhyD9wjdqwYXaIAYeLz6uywnaqQVXGFlG9mnphvz37hc1VLKguMC2yMVynzEWZU-tIWQOXP7SCaO4w2cFK5fEbXsUIWb4V9V-KCm5_fidPjanfl73xw1V3yDkgRlg3RBx5jQ5Uu8NVJUWKsNZL-j03j8kU64aZXJy8EsySqNumvpxzOK1ANzf5U

This is the full 120 point build, trim some life or damage as you see fit, you can look at my spec and see how I did it. Note my 120% life in current build :D

DISCLAIMER(Ranger tree is a mock-up tree to prove a point that I think it could be done.)
1 other thing, you could do this build as Ranger, I have not tried this build as Ranger, but I think its possible.
Here's a quick tree that should work.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAm42v6wguAdHtgxmOAF7Tfn1173r-uu4OVvqjit1Gd9cj9kxgY6cUdXSgjX1NkgSx18sRgVuvGNvIzFh1MHw94t0NDY108e-PBiBRR-CVh3YhYN9v51SNvzfUn4Ljn0CgJP0Fte0_Sn1670a3XhP_3sLsBS3Tb-9OOq20xWFSb4RirIZg_xydqmyMIq82PThT7LBtbBvIdueMC7VID6vjhM_duXzz6ha_DkjxiioLJpURlg3RcFJh4pOVBx5jQ1VLrTOVLow2Gdfw1eUZSVG0OPv1l5dFfA==
As you can see with all the Shield passive you could get REALLY tanky. With the 50% Lightning/Cold/Fire passives being close to ranger you could get all 3 of them. You could get 3 more Frenzy charges for Blood Dance and get alot of regen. Your only next to 1 Power Charge and that kinda sucks, but you could help Alira and still have 5.

Whats a guide without some pictures...About the DPS pics, I want to note that I had more DPS than this with an aura bot at level 45 who used Wrath and Anger. Support characters will easily triple your damage, probably quadruple it.
Defence

DPS in town

DPS with everything popped

Auras: You NEED Herald of Thunder, without Herald of Thunder you CANT do EE maps, thats not my opinion, thats not wanting to spend 45 minutes clearing a 68 map at 79. Herald of Ice helps get charges real fast, when you shatter a pack you will probably get 4 charges, then the next pack you got all 6. Determination is to make my granite and Coil more effective, if you have a Taste of Hate or are worried about damage get a Wrath, Haste, Anger or whatever you want, this is just my choice.

Curse: The only curse you'll use is Assassins Mark. If your running with a support make sure they have Assassins Mark and Ele Weak.

Maps and Map Mods: For curse immune switch Crit Multi for Power Charge on crit.
For Reflect switch WED with Life Gained on Hit, or depending on your damage Life Leech.
For EE you need to understand that the boss is going to take longer to kill so need to prep for that, maybe switch WED for LGOH, maybe switch Multi for PCoC, do what you need to do.
For maps like Volcano that have a boss that cant be cursed switch to PCoC.

Bandits
Oak - Life based build

Kraityn - This is optional. If you have a really high damage and crit sword but it doesnt have attack speed helping Kraityn is an option. Otherwise the point would be a better option.

Alira - Optional again. The build does use Power Charges to get higher crit chance, but if you have an 8%+ crit sword with good Jewelry and Jewels you could get the point.

I took Oak, Point, Alira

Now for my favorite part, the made up Q&A.

1. Why is the build called "Slap-Chop": The MTX adds a hand to the cleave animation...so each attack you slap and chop, I thought it was cleaver.

2. Why aren't you using Whirling blades? I don't like movement skills that cant go across gaps, I would use Flame Dash over Whirling blades honestly.

3. Why no video? Because iv tried to make videos before and my laptop just doesn't like that. Also you cant take my crappy play style as "this is the best the build can do" so rather than embarrass myself, ill just not make a video.

4. Why would you make ele cleave? Elite Streamer told me I couldn't, and that motivated me and I'm happy with the results, no lie, highest DPS character in a while. I could go into that more but take my word for it, I play 100% pure ghetto builds more often than not.

If you have any questions comments feel free to add me in game and ask, Ill always respond.
Sorry if I missed anything, just tell me and ill add it, as long as its not a video cus I can't do that.
Last edited by LorewynGaming on Mar 20, 2016, 6:54:09 AM
Last bumped on Mar 20, 2016, 6:54:51 AM
I have had a few people message me about what they should spec into first and I want to address it.

IF your in Standard or a Standard league
1. Crit
2. Celestial Punishment(bottom of Templar Elemental wheel)
3. All the pathing nodes(+10 nodes)
4. Accuracy(only 5 points)
5. Life, life and more life

If your in Hardcore or any Hardcore league
1. Enough life to make sure you can progress till Merc Dried Lake(Voll takes a while with this build so skip him, a couple unlucky crits can end any build)
2. Celestial Punishment
3. Pathing nodes
4. Accuracy
5. Crit

As for gear, I would look for a sword with Cold>Lightning>Fire damage in that order, if you can freeze things thats a form of mitigation, and being real melee you'll always be in danger.(more reason why lightning coil is OP)

Thank you to everyone who has taken interest in this build, glad to see people enjoying it.
Updated for 2.1.............................really nothing new...............................
Updated for 2.2, AKA, go play Inquisitor cus its broken as any Ele build.

RIP build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info