Why make a HC Duelist, when the Marauder tree is required?

I REALLY want to be a Duelist, most all my character is some version of a duelist however slight the differences between them are. However, I'm coming to realize there's no real reason to be a Duelist. Near every build for a Duelist to compete in Hardcore requires us to go all the way through the Marauder HP/resist line.

The only thing that is remotely required or good about the Duelist tree are the HP/Regen and possibly the armor/evasion, which is also reached more easily coming up from the south of the tree rather than going down to it from the duelist default start. (costs 4 points instead of 6, granting 2 major nodes instead of 1).

So really, a Marauder can be a more effective Duelist building down to the duelist line than a actual Duelist can be.

The only thing a duelist can be effective at in reality, is a physical/STR Archer ... but if we're talking about an archer in general the marauder is still better with their easy access to elemental nodes and shock.

I might be overlooking some huge advantage to being a duelist, i hope i am.
I'm Duelis because i like the playstyle he have, you're right about Marauder skill tree and easy acces to everything, maybe 1 solution can be, change skill tree of Templar for the Shadow. That change can balance a little the differencies between classes.
BTW: I make a Duelist with DW to be different :P
How many Marauders you can see in the city when you go there to sell junks? Think about it x' D
Well i started a marauder not long time ago and i felt like i had to go in the duelist tree to get some key nodes to get a strong character so right ow im 40 duelist with 1 hand and shield and its going pretty well....merc is hard for every1 gotta find the good gear and spec your tree well.
Id say weapon of choice is also a big part of it. If a person wants an Axe, which does excel in damage at moderate attack speeds, or a sword with inherient accuracy or high crit, then a Duelist is a better choice. Also, Duelists get some preety nice starting Attack Speed nodes, which any marauder coming accross the tree would require several needless Dex Points for.

Also in truth, the Marauder's Life Nodes aren't actually all that required, especiaclly with Thick Skin available, its just a really nice package in a game where stacking HP right now is important.
You may or may not agree with his point of view but I think this is a good video to explain why Duelist is a bad idea for HC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ckoQ3Y3ns&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA
Last edited by Oddgurth on Feb 13, 2013, 10:24:20 PM
I can't agree with him on his argument about Flexibility in Duelist. While I understand that its really hard to "go caster"(which makes sense, since it is the opposite of the "Int" class), it is very easy to swap weapon types with only a couple respecs. Not to mentoin, your not locked into one type of weapon for the most part if you go down the so called "Worthless" middle rung. I can see a little what he means about start although, but really...why not just buy two coral rings to start off, and then once you hit 10 or so, grab the middle circle and work twoards Troll blood?
"
Kenku wrote:
I can't agree with him on his argument about Flexibility in Duelist. While I understand that its really hard to "go caster"(which makes sense, since it is the opposite of the "Int" class), it is very easy to swap weapon types with only a couple respecs. Not to mentoin, your not locked into one type of weapon for the most part if you go down the so called "Worthless" middle rung. I can see a little what he means about start although, but really...why not just buy two coral rings to start off, and then once you hit 10 or so, grab the middle circle and work twoards Troll blood?

Theres some problems when it comes to those aspects of the duelist

1. Any class can easily go caster/archer/melee ... except for the duelist. Although some have to focus on elemental damage since there are few physical in their lines. Luckily elemental is the best type of damage and node scaling right now, but i know that's probably due for a change at some point.

2. MANY if not all the specific weapon type nodes go completely unused by duelists because it requires so many Health/Regen/Resist nodes to survive in melee or as a non-ES archer.
2.5. Crit and Elemental nodes add more DPS than physical nodes, and doesnt require a specific weapon type so swapping weapon type is not an issue.
Its easy your question, in all games there are an OP class and nerf class.

http://poestatistics.com/hardcore/

Just compare the % between Marauder and Duelist population.

Remember this, dont be the same, be different :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info