[VIDEO UP!] 45k DPS (5-link!) Dual Wield RT Ice Crash Build

Video: Level 78 Precinct Map (I was playing like a dumb dumb and nearly killed myself but w/e): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw8XVykDYLE

THE CONCEPT:

This build utilizes the high base damage and AOE of Ice Crash with the mobility of Whirling Blades, while utilizing the 39% more damage granted by the Hypothermia support gem. Because Ice Crash only uses the Main-Hand weapon, we can put anything we want in the off-hand to increase our damage (in my case, a Prismatic Eclipse with 3 green sockets). It is a build that is much more mobile than its 2-hand counterparts.

PROS:

+Good clear speed
+Tanky (AA + Fortify + 6-7 Endurance Charges)
+Very mobile, can avoid damage easily with Whirling Blades (while also leaving chilled ground thanks to AA)
+Damage is good with just a 5-link (~45k DPS tooltip while holding two 285 pDPS axes with only a level 17 no-quality Ice Crash 5-link setup with Added Fire in the 5th link, tooltip will be lower while wielding your 'stat-stick' off-hand)

CONS:
-Single target is OK, but not great
-Ele Reflect maps are a struggle
-Enemies/Maps with high elemental resists can really put a dent in your damage output
-Leech is only 1/2 as effective compared to pure Phys builds

CURRENT TREE & GEAR: (Character: WonderWheel)

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Tanzfete/characters

Notes on gear and tree:

My current tree and gear is for Cyclone save for my rings and I haven't re-specced any points after switching to Ice Crash. You can re-arrange anything to your liking, I would love to see adjustments made to the tree that are more optimized than this one.

Cherrubim's is certainly not the best chest for this build, it's just what I had on hand. That being said it's not the worst option either. High Life, Defences, and Leech bonus are all pretty nice to have. Daresso's Defiance, Carcass Jack, or a good rare chest are good choices as well.

I chose Prismatic Eclipse for my off-hand because 36% Global Attack Speed is amazing, but it can be replaced with any other weapon if you so choose (preferably a sword/claw/dagger for Whirling Blades).

GEMS AND LINKS:

Ice Crash -> Melee Physical Damage -> WED -> Faster Attacks -> Hypothermia/Added Fire -> Hypothermia/Added Fire/Increased AOE/Life Leech

Hypothermia and Added Fire are interchangeable in a 5-link. I believe Hypothermia is the better option, but Added Fire is nice if you're a tooltip-warrior. The sixth link can be swapped out for Blood Magic if you decide to use a higher pDPS axe instead of Soul Taker.

Leap Slam -> Curse on Hit -> Frostbite/Warlord's Mark -> Faster Attacks/Blood Magic

Warlord's Mark is a good defensive option if you feel you need the leech. I personally prefer Frostbite mainly for the %chance to freeze which makes it pair well with Hypothermia, plus lowered cold resist is always nice.

Whirling Blades -> Fortify -> HoA (if using Soul Taker)/Blood Magic

Whirling Blades is not only great for mobility, but it's also an effective way to spread chilled ground from AA on tough targets. On the Colonnade boss for example, you can WB through him to dodge an attack + proc Fortify + chill him. I put HoA here instead of Faster Attacks because it allows me to put Increased Duration in the next setup:

Cast When Damage Taken -> Immortal Call -> Vaal Haste/Grace -> Increased Duration

Pretty standard setup to protect you from heavy physical damage bursts. I put my Vaal skill here to kill two birds with one stone. Because of this you want to make sure you don't level CwDT higher than your Vaal skill. Alternatively you could put Molten Shell here and put Vaal Haste/Grace in your Prismatic Eclipse, but being a SC pleb I like having a longer duration Vaal Haste than the extra armor from Molten Shell.

Enduring Cry -> Blood Rage -> Blood Magic -> Increased Duration

Pretty standard setup for these skill. Nothing to see here.

Finally, just put AA and Hatred in your Prismatic Eclipse and you're good to go.

WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE/DON'T WANT TO USE SOUL TAKER?

Soul Taker is just nice because it allows us to eliminate Blood Magic from all of our skills except Enduring Cry/Blood Rage. However, this build is definitely doable without it. You would just put Blood Magic where it's needed and change your Prismatic to have 2G 1R sockets instead of 3G so you can put all of your auras in there. The other advantage of this is that it allows you to use either swords/maces/sceptres as well. In the case of swords you could even ditch Prismatic for something else since you'll be able to use Whirling Blades freely.

So that's the build. Hopefully I'll be able to make video soon. Any feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Also, the double post below was an accident :<
Last edited by Tanzfete on Sep 12, 2015, 4:59:43 PM
Video up.
Video up.
I don't really understand your gem choice, maybe i misunderstand some mechanism here.
Ice crash does cold damage, and you use 2 gems for increase phys dmg which seems not optimal to me ? Why not using cold penetration for instance ? or concentrated effect/increased area ? (Tooltip dps is useless. Elemental dmg needs penetration).

Also to take full advantage of soul taker, i'd try to achieve the higher Attack speed possible using frenzy charge, you didn't take any ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info