Faster Casting

Post your 0.9.3 feedback for this support here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a support.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2019, 5:02:30 AM
0.9.5 feedback below this post

Faster Casting support does not affect the Portal spell.

This makes no sense due to the fact the quality increases cast speed on the Portal gem.
"
Lo4f wrote:
Faster Casting support does not affect the Portal spell.

This makes no sense due to the fact the quality increases cast speed on the Portal gem.
Fixed, probably or 0.9.7 at this point
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
On paper this is a good DPS support, but in practice it gets mostly used as a utility support for curses and phase run.

The primary bonus amount itself is fine, but it just doesn't compete with other supports for game play reasons. Maybe the quality bonus should be something to make it more attractive for damage?

If I use projectile attacks, I'm never going to be sure if another one needs cast, so often faster casting will just lead to an extra wasted shot.

If I use nova attacks it is better, but when you have to pick and choose supports and will be limited to say 3-4 for most of the game, you're much better off with AoE, +light dmg, +cold dmg, concentrate dmg, etc...
"
Zaanus wrote:
On paper this is a good DPS support, but in practice it gets mostly used as a utility support for curses and phase run.

The primary bonus amount itself is fine, but it just doesn't compete with other supports for game play reasons. Maybe the quality bonus should be something to make it more attractive for damage?

If I use projectile attacks, I'm never going to be sure if another one needs cast, so often faster casting will just lead to an extra wasted shot.

If I use nova attacks it is better, but when you have to pick and choose supports and will be limited to say 3-4 for most of the game, you're much better off with AoE, +light dmg, +cold dmg, concentrate dmg, etc...
I don't find that true at all. Certainly Faster Casting is great for all my utility spells, but I also use Faster Casting on my Ice Spear and it seems pretty balanced. I'm not sure why wasting shots is such a big deal to you. My playstyle usually involves just running around to the biggest group of enemies I can find, cursing it, and blasting a hole through 80% of it. I typically don't bother clearing absolutely everything unless it groups itself up for me since it's faster to just move on to a larger concentration of enemies.

I've compared it to Added Chaos Damage, and the DPS and mana efficiencies are both pretty similar. As for the supports you mentioned, Added Lightning's damage is less than Faster Casting, and I already have Added Lightning DAmage per Power Charge, so I can already get the Shocked debuff. I'm not sure if Added Cold Damage is less than Added Chaos Damage, but I'm already using Ice Spear so I don't need more freezing, and my dex is too low to get it up to a reasonable level anyway.
Last edited by Strill on Feb 9, 2012, 5:15:51 PM
"
Strill wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:

I don't find that true at all. Certainly Faster Casting is great for all my utility spells, but I also use Faster Casting on my Ice Spear and it seems pretty balanced. I'm not sure why wasting shots is such a big deal to you. My playstyle usually involves just running around to the biggest group of enemies I can find, cursing it, and blasting a hole through 80% of it. I typically don't bother clearing absolutely everything unless it groups itself up for me since it's faster to just move on to a larger concentration of enemies.

I've compared it to Added Chaos Damage, and the DPS and mana efficiencies are both pretty similar. As for the supports you mentioned, Added Lightning's damage is less than Faster Casting, and I already have Added Lightning DAmage per Power Charge, so I can already get the Shocked debuff. I'm not sure if Added Cold Damage is less than Added Chaos Damage, but I'm already using Ice Spear so I don't need more freezing, and my dex is too low to get it up to a reasonable level anyway.

Do you play hardcore? I can't imagine grouping up the biggest set of mobs possible in Chaos intentionally.

FCR isn't bad per se, but if you're using Ice Spear I'd much rather support it with crit dmg (600% crit chance), frost dmg (benefits from all your frost-only passives), chaos damage (elemental resist/curse immune mobs suck), and MP.
"
Zaanus wrote:
Do you play hardcore? I can't imagine grouping up the biggest set of mobs possible in Chaos intentionally.
No I don't play hardcore. Also, grouping up the enemies usually requires 30% movement speed boots, phase run, and possibly a movement speed flask.

"
FCR isn't bad per se, but if you're using Ice Spear I'd much rather support it with crit dmg (600% crit chance), frost dmg (benefits from all your frost-only passives), chaos damage (elemental resist/curse immune mobs suck), and MP.
Right now I use Crit Damage, Multiple Projectiles, and Faster Casting. I don't use Added Cold Damage for one because it's a dex gem that I don't have enough dex to max out, and for two because I don't have any cold damage passives.

You're right about Added Chaos Damage being better against reflect mobs, however it's also weaker against non-curse-immune mobs since it doesn't benefit from ele weakness. I took faster casting over it because faster casting gave me almost the same overall DPS and mana efficiency, but is more useful for staying on the move and benefits from Ele Weakness.
Last edited by Strill on Feb 10, 2012, 2:40:30 PM
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info