Ice Spear

This spell seems to have taken the position of the most OP spell, or at least the most commonly known as OP. Mainly due to the high crit chance at range.
It's pretty obvious it needs a nerf, but the piercing phase and the crit phase are what make this skill unique so it would be a waste to remove these properties.

What I suggest is to apply a large malus to the crit multiplier on this spell (like -80%), so we keep the piercing properties and the freezing properties, but not the insane crit damage.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
"
zriL wrote:
This spell seems to have taken the position of the most OP spell, or at least the most commonly known as OP. Mainly due to the high crit chance at range.
It's pretty obvious it needs a nerf, but the piercing phase and the crit phase are what make this skill unique so it would be a waste to remove these properties.

What I suggest is to apply a large malus to the crit multiplier on this spell (like -80%), so we keep the piercing properties and the freezing properties, but not the insane crit damage.

Personally I think it would be better to just extend the distance at which the projectile transforms.
"
zriL wrote:

Personally I think it would be better to just extend the distance at which the projectile transforms.
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
Hi there !

"
Qarl wrote:

Are you using Multi-Proj?

That received a crit penalty, for each extra projectile.

I'm using ice spear with a lesser multi proj support gem, but I can't see any difference. Of course, damages are lowered (as written in the support gem description) but critical chance stays the same (8.8% with and without the support gem in my char menu). Am I looking at the wrong figure or is this some bug ?

Anyway, excellent skill, I love this "two phases" concept =)

edit: after having checked information post regarding the formula of critical chance, I've deleted the second part of my post as I was completely wrong ^^

Last edited by Golgho on Apr 2, 2012, 11:07:44 AM
Where can i find the calculation for the increased crit rate as the projectile moves?
"
Golgho wrote:
Hi there !

"
Qarl wrote:

Are you using Multi-Proj?

That received a crit penalty, for each extra projectile.

I'm using ice spear with a lesser multi proj support gem, but I can't see any difference. Of course, damages are lowered (as written in the support gem description) but critical chance stays the same (8.8% with and without the support gem in my char menu). Am I looking at the wrong figure or is this some bug ?

You're quoting a comment from several versions ago, when multiple projectiles gave a crit penalty rather than a damage one. This is no longer the case.
"
Zalek wrote:
Where can i find the calculation for the increased crit rate as the projectile moves?
It gets 600% increased critical strike chance when the projectile changes to it's second stage.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 9, 2012, 6:50:10 PM
Does increased projectile speed affect the distance that IS has to travel to go switch to second stage?

What I am basically asking it if IS second stage is based on time or a set distance?
Does the 10% area of effect damage increase effect Ice Spear?
If combined with the Pierce support gem, does the spear still receive its second stage crit bonus when it pierces targets?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info