[2.0] Lightning Tendrils Build? ForcesOfSodomy's 1st try at witch! I'd love some pointers guys!

Hey, everyone! I recently noticed that I've never tried out a witch build.
So ofc I decided to try it out, but stumbled a bit because there is a whole part of the passive
skill tree/gem sets I haven't explored <.<

But hey! there is a great community and forum I can turn to for help, so here I am.

So to start off, Lightning Tendrils has a small reach
(Modifiers such as increased AoE will affect the radius of the cone but not the angle,
but still feels like it does.
The spell releases 4 surges of lightning from your hands in a wide-angled cone done in quick
succession, each dealing the full damage of the spell.
If you Crit roll on the spell, it will be effective on all 4 casts.

So this is what I came up with, picking up all the "increased AOE" nodes because it feels like that alone almost makes the spell.
Plenty of crit chance, for reasons.
And some shock chance. Because I thought that "if I can crit on all 4 casts, won't i be able to shock too?"
For survivability i went for "Mind Over Matter."
Because of "Mind Over Matter" I further went for the "increased mana" nodes.

Passive Skill Tree
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMABUIHHgdjCGcI9A5IEFgRDxEtEZYTnhW4FkAXLxg8HNwdgyL0KPopTyycLX0wWzLROw08BT1fQZZEq0VHRZ1G10lRTLNSU1NSVa5V1lcrV5Rd8mSdZOdmVGaeakNrt2wLbRlwUnDVcYVyD3YRfEt8g34zfq9_xoCkghCCm4LHhTKFfYnTjDaNGY-mj_qTJ5M6lG-VLpWHljKWdJeVl_SaO5rgn9-kkayXrrOxQrWFtoa4k7zqvSe9gsBUwGbBtMhby73QH9D11abZX9q53Yzfit-w4BLk7OkC6-7r9e0g7TzvUO987-vw1fId8xH56PrS_rM=

So, I have a few questions about this build.
*Is 15% shock chance really enough?
*Should i maybe go for less "crit chance" and more "shock chance"? Or are there anything else i can cut out?
*Should i maybe change it around and go for something like; "Ghost Reaver", "Pain Attunement" or "Chaos Inoculation"?
*Is this even viable?
*Any legendarys I should look into getting?

Any help/pointers greatly appriciated!
There are a lot of badly planned spots on this tree and guide. I'll try to make it look better in a short advice. Can't cover everything here but that probably helps:D U have to get some knowledge on this game on urself.

Overall tendrils (LT) can be really good with crit (because with spell echo gem u can roll 8 critical hits (4 hits from spell rolled crit * 2), however u need to be careful since that locks you in place for a long period of time and you will be most of the times in the face of mobs, i would say this is half ranged play style with LT (even with decent AoE investment).

That leads us up to the question of solid defense. U can't really sustain MoM very well on ur mana solely without Eldrich battery. I would say u use Arctic armor for sure with this build since you are stationary most of the time casting. Then u might take EB with MoM and Zealots Oath to reinforce ur AA, plus generate some endurance charges with enduring cry (helps to keep up ur Energy shield - mana up). There should be some percent hp regen nodes on the tree. Use Armor\Es gear. Flasks - granite x2 and life ones. Auras - AA, Herald of Thunder, Herald of Ice, Discipline (to keep ur Es a least 1/3 of life)

Take this tree as a stepping stone: http://poeurl.com/zud6Vty (you will need passive skill tree planner to open this - https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases)
U can start as any class you like here.

This build should be HC viable. I'd not recommend this for a new player, however with decent dedication you may pull it out :D GL.
Last edited by imonutiy on Jul 31, 2015, 7:54:53 PM
"
imonutiy wrote:
There are a lot of badly planned spots on this tree and guide. I'll try to make it look better in a short advice. Can't cover everything here but that probably helps:D U have to get some knowledge on this game on urself.

Overall tendrils (LT) can be really good with crit (because with spell echo gem u can roll 8 critical hits (4 hits from spell rolled crit * 2), however u need to be careful since that locks you in place for a long period of time and you will be most of the times in the face of mobs, i would say this is half ranged play style with LT (even with decent AoE investment).

That leads us up to the question of solid defense. U can't really sustain MoM very well on ur mana solely without Eldrich battery. I would say u use Arctic armor for sure with this build since you are stationary most of the time casting. Then u might take EB with MoM and Zealots Oath to reinforce ur AA, plus generate some endurance charges with enduring cry (helps to keep up ur Energy shield - mana up). There should be some percent hp regen nodes on the tree. Use Armor\Es gear. Flasks - granite x2 and life ones. Auras - AA, Herald of Thunder, Herald of Ice, Discipline (to keep ur Es a least 1/3 of life)

Take this tree as a stepping stone: http://poeurl.com/zud6Vty (you will need passive skill tree planner to open this - https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases)
U can start as any class you like here.

This build should be HC viable. I'd not recommend this for a new player, however with decent dedication you may pull it out :D GL.

Yeah, as i thought <.< was thinking about spell echo, but moved away from it because if i'm in a bad spot it could be bad.

I also looked at EB, but also moved away from it, (maybe i shouldn't have) because still 70% on my HP could be bad, but i didn't even thing about armor/ES gear :D
I will try this out.
Yeah, was not planning this for HC XD would have been devastating as it currently is.

Experienced spellcaster here, I've run characters to endgame a few dozen times for the record so hear me out.

0. Seeing that your highest level char is 70, theorycrafting to a 121 point tree is wasteful, to say the least. You should limit your trees to 90-100 points at most.
1. Crit only scales effectively at higher levels (beyond level 70). Until then, taking Increased Damage is better than taking crit.
2. The Scion AOE nodes are unnecessary.
3. There's absolutely no defense in the tree. You won't make it past Cruel. MoM won't save your butt either. In addition, MoM will prevent you from using auras, and Wrath + AA give a strong defense/offense combo that's too good to miss out.
4. LT is a very, very CQC spell. It's got the shortest range out of literally every single spell, making it mandatory that you build defense. Otherwise you won't be able to deal damage at all.

Spell Echo with LT isn't bad at all. If your defenses are so poor that you can't be stationary for .2 seconds longer, there's something wrong. Likewise, if you buff your defenses enough for you to be able to use SE, you gain both survivability and DPS.

91 point tree

At the very least, this will allow you to run HoT + AA + Clarity, maintain half-decent DPS, and grant your build a little survivability. You'll have to stretch a little to be able to run Wrath (i.e. get Righteous Decree and roll some flat mana on gear).
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
"
KuteKitteh wrote:
Experienced spellcaster here, I've run characters to endgame a few dozen times for the record so hear me out.

0. Seeing that your highest level char is 70, theorycrafting to a 121 point tree is wasteful, to say the least. You should limit your trees to 90-100 points at most.
1. Crit only scales effectively at higher levels (beyond level 70). Until then, taking Increased Damage is better than taking crit.
2. The Scion AOE nodes are unnecessary.
3. There's absolutely no defense in the tree. You won't make it past Cruel. MoM won't save your butt either. In addition, MoM will prevent you from using auras, and Wrath + AA give a strong defense/offense combo that's too good to miss out.
4. LT is a very, very CQC spell. It's got the shortest range out of literally every single spell, making it mandatory that you build defense. Otherwise you won't be able to deal damage at all.

Spell Echo with LT isn't bad at all. If your defenses are so poor that you can't be stationary for .2 seconds longer, there's something wrong. Likewise, if you buff your defenses enough for you to be able to use SE, you gain both survivability and DPS.

91 point tree

At the very least, this will allow you to run HoT + AA + Clarity, maintain half-decent DPS, and grant your build a little survivability. You'll have to stretch a little to be able to run Wrath (i.e. get Righteous Decree and roll some flat mana on gear).

well...
0. I get that theorycrafting to 121 is wasteful in a way, but I did it as I thought it would be better for someone more experienced to see it completed, and what I had thought out. It is also good for me trying to learn, as I said; it is one part of the tree I haven't explored.
Even if I don't level that far, understanding and knowlegde is still great!

1. hum, good to know.

2. Part of the tree that i would eventually maybe go for if i ever got that far.

3. Tried to fix that after last persons help.

4. Don't know what CQC stands for, I get the rest, and I agree.

Yes, I got that spell echo isn't bad, kinda figured after i looked at it, after the other persons help. The only reason I moved away from it was because of the defensive problems I had run into, which is why i even started this thread.

This is what i came up with after the 1st comment(if you want to see, not that great I know -.- simply trying to learn...)
Also 91 point skill tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMA37DfioIQ6QKPpv6zRKtXK1WuvYIsnG0ZBUIRLZf0CPRBlnyDUlPAVK6z0PXr7peVPV9qQ7zqTLMy0ZrghTLQH0VHRZ3v68BmtQRTUjsNPAXkIhEP73yf3ylPTC1-r5o7a7cUsI0ZtYWCm4V9gh7gEu9Q7SAWQIhC2wvZX8G0toZmnsHF3YwtfXxLlnT60nIP7Bho8hcvcYWP-vAfZOfzEfDV6_WiAFXWsUJJUWSdgKTaufIdRtc=

I compared the 2 skill trees, and yes, that one got quite "efficient" use of skill points.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info