[2.0] Aegis Aurora Incinerator with Scold's Bridle

Introduction:

I've always loved Aegis Aurora as an item, because it makes many of the most dangerous bosses in the game ridiculously easy. However, with the block nerfs, the need for having enough Armour and Energy Shield, Aegis Aurora builds became really difficult to pull of, since many of your item slots are blocked already. Especially the DPS suffers a lot (for a melee build it requires almost mirrored gear to acquire decent single target DPS). While this is not a problem against normal mobs, it can become a huge problem against bosses, where your tankiness alone (especially when difficult map mods are involved) does not help you to kill it.
The idea i had was to use Incinerate for DPS (Incinerate does a lot of damage without having any DPS nodes) with a Blood Magic support and the good old Grace + Determination + IR Combo for Armour. The new Tempest Shield along with one of the new Maraketh weapons would allow a decent block chance without an insane amount of block nodes.
The problem i still had was single target DPS, so i decided to buy a scolds bridle and use Vaal Molten Shell against bosses. While this allowed me to kill nearly all bosses within seconds, the damage that you deal to yourself with scolds is really annoying.
Then i recognized the power of the new Reduced Mana gem. Replacing the BM gem with Reduced Mana along with using an -8 Elreon ring reduced the mana cost of Incinerate to 3 per cast, so that i damaged myself for exactly one point of ES per cast with scolds.
I was more than satisfied with the result. Adding in Curse on Hit together with Enfeeble on Tempest Shield and Fortify + Whirling Blades along with Flasks (Evasion Flask+Rumis yield over 50k Armour, which is 1k ES gained per Block), i often feel nearly invulnerable. Was not able to to higher than 78 Maps currently to test this build on the really crazy shit.

tl;dr
- Always loved Aegis Aurora, tried to make a build around it that does decent DPS
- Incinerate for AOE
- Vaal Molten Shell along with Scolds Bridle for single target
- Grace and Determination for armour
- Using one Elreons ring and Reduced Mana Gem negates the downside of Scolds, allows me to cast Incinerate on Mana.

Pros:
- Able to do almost any combination of map mods
- Reasonable clear speed, great single target damage
- Insanely tanky, can afk in packs
- Atziri viable

Cons:
- Scolds Bridle is very expensive and nearly impossible to get in a short term league
- Requires minimum a 5 link
- Good DPS for a tank but meh damage and clearing compared with other builds.
- Damage over time is painful, since you have no Es sustain

Skill Gems

5L/6L Chest:
Incinerate-Spell Echo-Faster Casting- Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Reduced Mana (Blood Magic) - (Fire Pen / Life Leech)

4L:
Vaal Molten Shell - Increased Duration (Fire Pen) - Spell Echo - Concentrated Effect
Whirling Blades - Blood Magic - Faster Attacks -Fortify
Tempest Shield-Curse On Hit-Enfeeble-Increased Duration

3L:
Cast When Damage Taken-Summon Flame Golem + Whatever fits
Grace - Determination - Enlighten (Level 2 Needed)

Necessary gear

Shield:
Aegis Aurora: this is what the build is designed for, ideally a legacy one with 4%

Helm:
Scolds Bridle: For Single Target DPS

Enables us to use VMS as DPS spell, easily bis. Unfortunately this is a torment only unique and thus very expensive. Otherwise it is only obtainable by getting extremely lucky in a Zana map.

Alternatives: Three Dragons, The Vertex if you only want to rely on Incinerate damage.

Amulet:
Stone of Lazhwar, ideally corrupted with Block Chance

This gives us Spellblock and Cast speed, easily best in slot

Boots: Rainbowstride, ideally corrupted with +2 Vaal Gems for VMS

Elemental Resitances, Energy Shield and Cast Speed, bis

Other pieces of gear

Weapon:
Bis: A 6% Block Sai with good rolls for Spells and ideally stats or some resists, something like this will do

Alternatives:

Doryanis Catalyst: Cast Speed and Elemental Damage + Leech, hard to bead
Cybil's Paw: Insane Sustain to LoH, probably to use in reflect maps

Chest:
A 6 link Armour ES chestpiece (5L will do, just skip Fire Pen), ideally with life and resistances

Ring 1:
Elreons Ring with -7 / 8 to mana cost, ideally with life and resistances

Ring 2:
Bis: Shavronnes Revelation for ES Regen, if not available or resists are not good enough use a ring with life and Resists and some stats

Gloves:
Armour / Es or hybrid rares with resists and Life

Belt:
Bis:Rare belt with Armour, Life and Resists

Alternative: Doryanis Invitation with Fire Damage is also really good.

Jewels:
Life / Cast Speed / Fire Damage / Spell Damage / Block Chance / stats are all viable, i would not recommend any unique Jewels at the moment, unfortunately i have nothing worth using right now, if you have you should adapt the tree accordingly.

Flasks:
Absolutely Necessary is a Flask that revomes Bleeding, otherwise Corrupting Blood will kill you, better is it to have 2. My current Flask setup is:

My Gear at Level 89:

Playstyle

Move with whirling Blades. Blade right in the middle of a pack to be sure to sustain your ES while they are hitting you, normal monsters should not be able to harm you. Kill pack with incinerate, proceed. Keep your VMS for difficult / hard to kill mobs and bosses. Be sure to have VMS up when facing a map boss. If necessary use flasks.

Current Stats (with Auras,T Tempest Shield and Flame Golem up):

- 8k Incinerate tooltip (so times 4 it is 32k DPS)
- 10k VMS tooltip (with 14 cast a second and spell echo this is 280k DPS)
- 1.8k Es
- 4.8k Life
- 18k Armour (50k with flasks up)
- All elemental resis overcapped by at least 20
- 14% Chaos Res
- 70% Block / 50% Spellblock (75 / 75 with Rumis active)

Special notes on map mods

- Blood Magic: Play careful, since you are not able to use Grace or Determination
- Slow Regen: No Problem
- No Regen: Switch out Reduced Mana for Blood Magic or use another Elreons piece
- Elemental Reflect: Switch out Fire Pen for Life Leech and be very careful with VMS
all other mods are no problem.

Atziri

If you know how the boss fights go (inform yourself, there are various tutorials out there), Atziri is very easy to kill. Double Vaal and the Trio should fall in one cicle of VMS, Atziri herself is more annoying but it is no problem to kill her with Incinerate, just switch out LMP for slower projectiles for more Deeps.

Ideal setup

With a:
- Legacy Aegis Aurora
- Shavronnes Revelation
- Tri Res Life Es-Chest
- 4% Stone of Lazhwar
- Better Weapon
- Max Level Gems
- Jewels
it should be possible to achieve:
- 6k Life / 2k Es
- Max Block, 60+ % Spell Block
- 800+ Es recovered per Block without flasks
- 10k+ Incinerate DPS / 15k + VMS Damage

To do / coming soon: Leveling, level 100 Version of the build, Screenshots, Videos
Last edited by Vaxall on Jul 31, 2015, 12:11:47 PM
Interesting mechanics, but isn't better to use 2 elreon pieces instead of reduced mana on gear?
IGN: crazyjake, ,BadAndAngry
Yes, but its nearly impossible to get at least one good one. So i rather have the better stats from my second ring, than using another crap elreons ring, the DPS is still fine against trash, thus having reduced mana does not hurt that much.
Nice build, too bad the gear is so expensive :(
I can think of cheaper alternatives (of course, not as good, but affordable).

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info