[2.0] Crit Trap : the self found warband "ok" build

Hi everyone,

I'm currently playing self found on warband temp league and I did quite well with this build.
That's why I want to share it with you.

This build uses few interactions in order to do enough damage to clear areas quickly.
It uses critical damages to burst, clever interaction as single target and is safe as trap damage can't be reflected and is not melee.

Background
I'm a closed beta player, playing exclusively temp softcore leagues.
I did some pretty ok build but as a self found and casual player, they were never really over the top
I like this one because not a lot of people are playing trap, even less fire trap since elemental proliferation nerf.
I want to prove it can be efficient

Disclaimer
This is my first guide.
English is not my first language. Deal with it.

Pros
- It crits !
- It burns !
- It clears most white pack with few efforts !
- Cheap / self found
- No unique needed
- Reflect is not an issue

Cons
- DPS is not over 9000 !!!
- Fragile
- Burn doesn't scale very well on team
- Traps can be frustrating
- Mana can be a sensitive issue.

What it can do
I'm currently sitting at lvl81 (without crit damage from tree)
I can easily farm Voll, I did all quest up to Deshret and maps up to 71 solo (I didn't go further)

Bandits
Normal : either HP or Skill point
Cruel : Skill point
Merciless : either power charge or skill point.

I took skill points all the time.

Gem
Main skill in weapon or shield +2 fire gem:

G : Fire trap (quality is nice as it gives +% burning damage)
R : Increased Burning Damage (quality is nice, but not as nice as Fire Trap)
B : Increased Area of Effect (quality is useful)
If it crit, it kills. If it doesn't, the burn + ignite will finish it.
Elemental and high HP monster can survive, that's why we have other offensive skills too.

Burst Damage :

G : Trap (quality is negligible)
B : Flame Surge (quality is useless as trap bypass cast speed)
B : Concentrated Effect (quality gives negligible damage)
Very high fire burst damage skill. Use it on ignited or "on burning ground" monsters.

Secondary damage skill in 4l (headgear, footgear, gloves)

G : Lightning Trap (quality is not very useful)
G : Multiple Traps (quality is not very useful)
G : Trap and Mine Damage (quality gives negligible damage)
G : Pierce (As pierce has a check for each target, quality is interesting)
Can clear pack easily, and has huge range, even more with pierce

Utility-offensive in 4l (headgear, footgear, gloves) :

B : Ball Lightning (this skill is utility, quality is optionnal, but level it anyway as it can shock)
B : Curse On Hit (quality is negligible)
G : Assassin's Mark (quality is negligible)
B : Power Charge On Critical (quality is negligible)
You can use other curse such as Flammability or other "'s Mark"
Allow you to sustain Power Charge. You can trigger "on kill" effect with burning ground and ignite.

Utility-defensive in 3l :

G : Whirling Blades (don't level it past l5 as it increases its mana cost)
R : Fortify (quality is negligible)
G : Faster Attacks (quality is negligible)
Your "OH SHIT" button. Can save you.

Culler :

G : Bear Trap (quality gives negligible damage)
B : Added Fire Damage Optionnal (quality gives negligible damage)
R : Culling Strike (quality is useless)
B : Item Rarity
Self explanatory

Other
B : Herald of Thunder
Can trigger on burning and ignited monsters. Also allows all your skills to shock.
G : Summon Ice Golem
Its cold ground skill can slow down anyone, even biggest boss.
G : Herald of Ice
If you are using Pyre, it will never trigger, but will add overall fire damage for ignite

Stuff
Nothing really exciting : get as much HP, eva, ES and resistances.
As a weapon, high +spell, +flat elemental on spell and +crit on a dagger.
Get a +2/3 fire gem for your fire trap.

Notable usefull unique :
- Pyre

No bodies, no problem. Also converts all cold damage to fire, improving your ignite damage.

- Carcass Jack
Expensive as hell in this league, but offers +AoE and decent life and resists

How to play
Use ball of lightning, throw fire trap if everything is in it AoE, throw lightning trap if not.
Root yellow and unique with bear trap, throw 1 fire trap, all flame surge trap.

My Trash Stuff

Changelog
July 28th 2015 : Creation
July 29th 2015 : added few sections
July 31th 2015 : screenshots added
August 7th 2015 : Gem/skill is now more clear. Also, a better introduction
Last edited by got4close on Aug 7, 2015, 5:58:13 AM
Few sections added.
Hi mate, thanks for sharing your build :)

I´m rolling a fire trapper as well right now (haven´t finished normal difficulty yet).
So I was curious about your tree and got some questions:

1.You have picked 139% life on Lvl80.
From my expierence with Awakening so far 139% life sounds like a glass cannon. I don´t know if the mobility of a trapper compensates for that. What´s your expierence?

2. Did you try "Jaws of Agony"?
It costs like nothing, increases trap damage and provides you with a 15% chance to gain power charges when a trap is triggered. You´ve picked "Blast Cascade", which is pretty much the same.
So combined with Jaws you should have a 30% chance to gain power charges.
Afaik this chance is rolled for each trap separately. If you were throwing a multiple trap it should sum up to 90%, if all the three traps are triggered by enemies.
Which results in a nearly guaranteed powercharge from my understanding.

I know your shield provides you with a "+2 Fire gems", but there are wands/daggers with this affix as well and you could swap Assassin´s Mark for Flammability and still sustain your powercharges with ease, if you were using Jaws.
That way you should deal way more damage, increase your chance to ignite a lot and you´ll receive a lvl20 Bear Trap for free - saving sockets.

What do you think?

3. You picked a Int-node north of "Trickery" which does nothing.
I guess you clicked this node accidentally?

4. You spent 6 points on "Master Sapper".
Is it worth it? You could have picked "Heart of Flame" as well which looks more attractive to me.

Keep going, looking forward to your answers :)
Hi, thank you for your answers and remarks.

1- I have 3500HP + 1500ES, which is enough for most of the content I have access to. We have nice bonus to +%ES, so it is quite nice to look for +ES items.

2- I'm SelfFound (beside a +20% fire trap that I'm currently leveling) so I didn't test Jaw of Agony.
With PoC, Assassin's Mark (which can generates power charge from burning/ignited monsters)
and Blast Cascade, I don't have any issue with power charges. And the added crit damages help a lot. Fire penetration from Flammability is not as usefull since we have some penetration from tree with traps (High Explosive). Penetration has diminushing returns.
For the +2 fire shield, and its +6% block, I fuund it myself, that's why I'm using it.

3 - Oh, you're right ! I'm going to refund this one ! I refunded a point next to it in order to get the +30str node and forgot this one...

4 - All nodes from Blast Cascade to Master Sapper are nice : crit, life/flask, eva/res. Also, Master Sapper is "universal" and helps all our skills but Ball of lightning which is utility.
Heart of flames helps fire trap and flame surge but does nothing for lightning trap (which I wasn't expecting to use but is very effective) and bear trap (more damage, more root !)

Screenshot Added.
As you can see, I can reach 6100 average damage with fire trap wwith +59% burning damage. It is even greater as I curse with Assassin's Mark.
interesting build. I am currently attempting a crit trapper in tempest. Currently lvl 50 so things are fairly easy still but i find the most success with multi trap, concentrated effect, fire traps. Also use lighting trap - added lightning- lightning pen in my weapon with +2 lighting gems which puts out good damage.

I am kind of torn on what type of trap to focus on. Fire trap seems legit but having ice nova, multi trap, increase aoe, with a high chance to crit seems like an amazing opener.....especially if you did ele equilibrium as well then throw fire traps(not sure ill do that but a thought).

currently i have like two 4 links and two 3 links available so looking for ideas of what to link together.

Thanks
In my opinion, lightning trap is nice with multi trap and pierce in order to reach as much monsters as possible.
As for fire trap with concentrated effect, it is overkill for 90%+ of monsters, as a crit will destroy everything that is not elemental resistant or yellow. As a burst, use a spell with trap, and flame surge + burning from fire trap is very efficient.

I don't play tempest nor hardcore but you should also probably aim for more HP/eva, like "Revenge of the Hunted" or ES/eva with Nullification or void barrier (or both)
Yea just hit 68 in tempest and ran my first map. Got super lucky and got double boss found a windripper and vault of atziri. Vault sucked and got nothing but bow sold for 5ex so i can possibly buy a 5L searing touch and really pump out fire damage.

I agree i took out concentration effect for increase aoe and shit explodes still. Once i get that weapon set up i will have a 4/5 link as my chest to convert to lightning. I think i will try your theory of pierce but i am wondering if chain is a better option? Thoughts?

Also, i am very heavy evasion and life reliant. I am like 40% chance to evade, 40% dodge, 30% spell dodge (arcobatics and what not), max resist and like 3,000 hp right now. Im not sure if you can see my passive on my character but i am finally far enough to get the huge life circle of between dualist and marauder which i hope pumps out good hp for.

My build is obv a little different approach than yours but seems to be working very well so far the only thing concerning is heavy chaos damage since it still sits at -60% and im not sure how to better improve that without incredible upgrades that also have chaos resist.

Appreciate the input.
I tested chain and it felt bad, I don't know why. Also pierce doesn't have a -% projectile.
Update : Gem section is now more clear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info