[2.0] Hybrid Crit BM EB MoM Chaos Fortify Magma Orb (or any other AoE spell)

Updated version for ascendancy here.

If u have any questions, PM me on forums or in game, not looking in this thread anymore.

UDATE_2: Due to questions added more about flameblast.

UPDATE_1: added a jungle valley clear video, with boss kill.
------------------------------------------

Intention behind this build was to make a fairly tanky caster and still maintain good clear speed. I think I achieved it even without build readiness in terms of gear (still can get better stuff) and gems (lvl 20 q20).
Abbreviations

BM - Blood Magic
EB - Eldritch Battery
MoM - Mind over Matter
ZO - Zealots Oath
GR - Ghost Reaver
CwDT - Cast when Damage Taken
EC - Enduring Cry
IC - Immortal Call
FB - Flameblast
AoE - Area of Effect

Ideas behind this build

-magma orb came out, want to play it need a build.
-fire spell, infernal mantle is great.
-infernal mantle hat 100% incresed crit chance, dont want to waste that, going crit.
-voidbringer great spell crit gloves.
-infernal mantle has a big drawback. Meaning with new changes i can run clarity and 1 aura or 2 heralds, while needing to invest heavily in mana and mana regen.
-idea, go BM skip auras completely.
-going BM means i loose the huge es from infernal mantle and voidbringer. Since i use life for casting, es will basically never regen and there is no life on those 2 items.
-for only 3 points investment in MoM+EB i can place that es on my mana globe and and still get it's protecting benefit.
-how to sustain es? Tried ZO and GR, prefer regen and leech still to be on life. Voidbringer brings es sustain, great. Speced in Essence Surge and Arcane Focus. Really fast es recharge, after few sec. Uncreased survivability greatly.
-playing warbands, decided to unspec Essence Surge and Arcane Focus and get more dps. Since In my feeling base recharge and voidbringer r enough. In HC would leave it.
-still need some forms of mitigation, especially for phys dmg. Self casting EC with higher lvl CwDT IC setup. Fortify with whirling blades.

how does it work

Infernal mantle, voidbringer and other gear give me good amount of es. I use BM to sustain my spells, negate infernal mantles drawback and smooth voidbringers drawback.

Buy using EB i place my es on my mana globe. To make it useful again, i use MoM. MoM takes 30% of the dmg taken and takes it away from mana. My es protects my mana, same as it protects life normally. Meaning Dmg taken will be 1st taken from es, than from mana. Now i have 0 mana, but it doesnt matter, dmg still goes to es.

Why not to leave es on life in 1st place and save all the trouble?

A normal hybrid needs to wait, till es is depleted, before life flask will be useful, this build dont. Normal hybrid needs heavy mana and mana reg investment, to sustain spells and need to leave big chunk of mana unreserved for infernal mantle.

Just going EB MoM without BM will need to invest more in life regen and take it away from life, while still leaving at least 35% of the mana free for infernal mantles drawback.

With BM i lose auras but gain more life and very easy spell casting. Especially after 80% increased cost from voidbringer.

For more/another explanation check the post below(ty Bada_Bing).

Videos:
Atziri full run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXdSVt04KA
Jungle Valley full clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzdw_9Sr_0

Alternatives:

Flameblast

Many of u will like FB more with this build (again, i only used magma orb, cuz it's new).

To play with FB only 2 things need to change. 1st spell echo must be replaced with faster casting, because fb doesnt work with echo.

2nd slower projectiles must be replaced, there r several options for this.
- concentrated effect: really good dmg, very fast boss killing. Lower clear speed because of smaller area, often need to cast more.
- added chaos: reliable. Less dmg, than conc eff.
- increased critical damage: something in between of 2 above gems. Keeps original radius, but the great dmg happens only in about 50% of the time.
- increased area of effect: imo, the worst gem to chose. While fb gains really big are coverage with it, will be lacking. Not really need that big AoE.

Swapping out added chaos/critical damage for conc eff for boss fights is also a good idea to increase overall performance.

This build is not limited to magma orb. In fact, fire storm will be a better option in terms of dps, especially on bosses and will save u 5 points(no need to spec in AoE). I just played magma orb, because it is new and i played lot of fire storm last league.

Storm call, ball lighting shock and ice nova r also great options. The only things u need to do is, chose different passing in shadow tree(ice or lighting instead of fire), swap infernal mantle for carcass jack and consuming dark for divinarius or any other rare dagger.

Arc is none AoE alternative. Rare chest with 400+ es and 100+ life and a rare dagger for that.

None fire alternatives loose the chaos conversion and can get in trouble in maps with ele reflect mod.

This Build is alo playable as:
Marauder: "+" 2 points less required, more life "-" less DPS.
Templar: "+++" no pants "-" tiny little bit less dps.
Shadow: pretty much the same

Pros:
-can do every single map mod
-good survivability
-not limited to a class or skill
-4 jewel sockets
-fortify as caster

Cons:
-bad lvling build, need Infernal mantle 5L + voidbringer + BM, MoM, EB keystones
-voidbringer is a must
-magma orb requires good aiming

Gear

Must:

Must for a fire caster:

Is not must, can do reflect mod without, but us cool option:

Rest of the Gear

Gems

5L:

For 6th link faster casting or added chaos for more dps or inc aoe for better clear speed. Can also use one of these for 5th link instead of iron will.

4l:

3L:

Other:

Stats

Offense:

Defense:

Any questions or suggestions? Feel free to contact me in game (Kikimora) or post here.
Last edited by 1337fun on Mar 30, 2016, 9:25:37 AM
You should add some info/explanation on the interaction between BM, MoM and EB. For some (many?) people it is a bit hard to see through that mechanism.

An intuitive explanation i found on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/380s0h/cb_eldritch_batteryblood_magic_interaction/ by seicar:

"The linked post has BM + RT + EB +GR + MoM; I'll try to describe just the interaction of BM + EB:

BM removes mana or sets it to 0/0. This distinction is important if you want to use the Infernal Mantle. 0/0 is "full mana" and doesn't count as a low mana state.

ES and BM is exactly the same. It protects life. Any use of mana cost is then hp cost and hits the ES first. it also halts and resets ES recharge.

EB switches the ES to guard the non-existent mana, but because of the mechanic difference, it is still there. Just happens to be guarding a 0/0 mana.

EB'ed ES no longer guards hp, so it provides no ehp for BM to draw on. The EB'ed ES just kind of hangs out doing nothing, looking cool and cresent-like in the lower right hand corner of you UI.

If we add in the interaction with MoM:

% damage removed from mana before life. EB'ed ES now has something to do! Even though it is guarding 0/0 it will be hit. Therefore you have an ablative shield that is completely removed from the hp-as-mana/mana equation. This ablative shield is also looped into chaos damage which normally would have bypassed it."

I had been theorycrafting a BM-EB-MOM-Unwavering build using the Consuming + Infernal combo, but the problem I had with it was obviously the lack of any meaningful way to utilize ES once it's gone. But that's just me.

Good job on making a decent build with that combo though, the execution is pretty good so I do applaud you for that.

Cost estimate?
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
Last edited by KuteKitteh on Jul 27, 2015, 10:19:51 AM
I am digging this.. Need energy shield leech. are there any items that give energy shield leech instead on kill?
IGN - Endoplasm
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
You should add some info/explanation on the interaction between BM, MoM and EB. For some (many?) people it is a bit hard to see through that mechanism.

An intuitive explanation i found on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/380s0h/cb_eldritch_batteryblood_magic_interaction/ by seicar:

"The linked post has BM + RT + EB +GR + MoM; I'll try to describe just the interaction of BM + EB:

BM removes mana or sets it to 0/0. This distinction is important if you want to use the Infernal Mantle. 0/0 is "full mana" and doesn't count as a low mana state.

ES and BM is exactly the same. It protects life. Any use of mana cost is then hp cost and hits the ES first. it also halts and resets ES recharge.

EB switches the ES to guard the non-existent mana, but because of the mechanic difference, it is still there. Just happens to be guarding a 0/0 mana.

EB'ed ES no longer guards hp, so it provides no ehp for BM to draw on. The EB'ed ES just kind of hangs out doing nothing, looking cool and cresent-like in the lower right hand corner of you UI.

If we add in the interaction with MoM:

% damage removed from mana before life. EB'ed ES now has something to do! Even though it is guarding 0/0 it will be hit. Therefore you have an ablative shield that is completely removed from the hp-as-mana/mana equation. This ablative shield is also looped into chaos damage which normally would have bypassed it."

Updated my post a bit.

"
KuteKitteh wrote:
I had been theorycrafting a BM-EB-MOM-Unwavering build using the Consuming + Infernal combo, but the problem I had with it was obviously the lack of any meaningful way to utilize ES once it's gone. But that's just me.

Good job on making a decent build with that combo though, the execution is pretty good so I do applaud you for that.

Cost estimate?

I invested around 3 ex in all of this.

"
kot0005 wrote:
I am digging this.. Need energy shield leech. are there any items that give energy shield leech instead on kill?

For just 2 points u could take Ghost Reaver.
Last edited by 1337fun on Jul 27, 2015, 11:03:13 AM
Hey man I am really interested in running this build, as it has the layered defenses casters need since 2.0 dropped (imo).

You say any aoe skill works, and I'm strongly considering using EK as my main skill.

Looking at the tree there seems to be a lot of synergy with EK, but I'm just wondering how my build should change regarding the unique aspects of EK, such as its use of physical damage. Running crit EK is pretty suicidal in reflect situations, so I'm wondering if I need to tech my EK to some converted damage or certain unique items to counter reflect, as running armor-based on top of the defensive keystones will probably be build suicide. I want to know in advance if the gear requirement goes up significantly because of the strange properties of EK.
I agree with BM when using mantle, but strongly disagree with the EB + MoM.

The sole reason you give is health pot can be used immediately instead of waiting for ES to deplete. Without EB+MoM, it is a shield that protect me vs 100% incoming damage - except chaos, and I don't even have to pot at all if the hit doesn't burn it all. With EB + MoM, it is: a shield that protect only 30% damage, and I have to pot because 70% damage still cut through my life.

It's not even a QoL improvement and surely not worth spending 3 points on.

"
unfocusedking wrote:
Hey man I am really interested in running this build, as it has the layered defenses casters need since 2.0 dropped (imo).

You say any aoe skill works, and I'm strongly considering using EK as my main skill.

Looking at the tree there seems to be a lot of synergy with EK, but I'm just wondering how my build should change regarding the unique aspects of EK, such as its use of physical damage. Running crit EK is pretty suicidal in reflect situations, so I'm wondering if I need to tech my EK to some converted damage or certain unique items to counter reflect, as running armor-based on top of the defensive keystones will probably be build suicide. I want to know in advance if the gear requirement goes up significantly because of the strange properties of EK.

U could take templar and marauder endurance charges and run IC. And use phys to lighting. Than u should be fine, i think. Didnt played it, cant tell for sure.

"
Taxi_Driver wrote:
I agree with BM when using mantle, but strongly disagree with the EB + MoM.

The sole reason you give is health pot can be used immediately instead of waiting for ES to deplete. Without EB+MoM, it is a shield that protect me vs 100% incoming damage - except chaos, and I don't even have to pot at all if the hit doesn't burn it all. With EB + MoM, it is: a shield that protect only 30% damage, and I have to pot because 70% damage still cut through my life.

It's not even a QoL improvement and surely not worth spending 3 points on.

And what will happen to ur es, if u have BM and cast?
"
And what will happen to ur es, if u have BM and cast?

So a minor QoL, which is easily negated when you run between mobs? Is the mitigation of a recharge timer when you can just cast nothing really worth 3 points?
Last edited by Taxi_Driver on Jul 27, 2015, 5:20:05 PM
Maybe not for u, but for me. I tested with and with out and with was much better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info