[2.0] Doon Cuebiyari, 60k+ DPS Righteous Fire Flame Surge

*EDIT* Guide is up to date. 2015-08-13

Hello everyone, thank you for taking a look at my build.

Although my version isn't super cheap I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible so I went with Doon Curbiyari and stacked as much strength as I could for Iron Will and the unique damage modifier on Doon. The end product is a massive 69k DPS on Flame Surge, with a possible 100k on burning enemies. Since Flame Surge is a painfully slow and kind of dangerous clearing skill, I use Incinerate as a supporter for trash clearing. DPS for Incinerate with LMP is 23k and 92k at stage 4. This build is a confirmed Atziri killer and if anyone wants to see a video just let me know and I'll get it up here.

Pros and Cons of this build
Pros:
High damage
High life
Good survivability
Great mobility
Looks awesome

Cons:
Mana is not fully sustainable but does last a good while.
Vulnerability maps are impossible to run
-Max res maps are impossible

Before I get started on the guide itself here are some stats.
Attack stats:
FS DPS with all auras and RF

There will be variations depending on jewels used and strength on gear

FS DPS with Atziri's Promise

Incinerate DPS

Defensive stats:
Basic Defenses

Defenses with Rumi's and Ruby flask

My ruby flask has increased armour during effect

Character stats:
Spoiler

__________________________________________________________________________________

Required gear:
Spoiler

This sceptre helps gives us the immense power we have. By stacking lots of strength you can achieve better damage than Doryani's Catalyst. Plus you get better cast speed.

Of course with any Righteous Fire build, this is a must. No explanation needed.

From a distance these boots might seem unworthy. Until you see that they give increased strength. These boots give me 133 strength and 192 life. More strength = more damage.

Although lacking on defenses, these gloves are amazing for this build.

This chest isn't exactly required but it definitely synergizes very well with the high fire resistance we achieve to sustain RF. Coupled with AA this chest is very formidable.

Suggested gear
Spoiler

Astramentis really compliments this build, it gives amazing amounts of strength and also fills in any attribute requirements you might need. An expensive piece no doubt, so an alternate with high strength and other attributes can suffice.

This could be required but its not entirely necessary. You can get more life, strength, and any resistances you might need from a rare belt.

If you have a level 21 PoF then this is absolutely required. The tree gives enough life regen to sustain 88% fire res though, so an alternate is an option. Freeze immunity is nice though.

If you don't feel you want to use Alpha's Howl or another helm, this one is always good for fire builds. It allows your fire damage to shock and that is another 50% to damage that can come in handy.

But of course a really good rare armour based helmet will do a lot of good with damage mitigation. Life and strength are a big plus and if you go this route resistances will be easier to fill.

Remaining gear and flasks:

You are left with 2-3 rares. These are used to fill any resistances and provide anything else you want.

Favorable mods for rares in order of importance:
Remaining resistances
Strength
Life
Mana
Mana regen

Flasks are always personal preference, but a ruby flask is an absolute must, especially if you use cloak of flame. It'll effectively reduce the physical damage you take because it converts 20% to fire damage which is then reduced by 98-99%(depending on your fire res). Ruby flask of iron skin is godly.
These are my current flasks:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Skill Tree
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMARKuPpoIQ37BVriycU1JFnZrg6-58gxEtuJMc3I8awGZFRzLRwJoJqtn88B-iAASzaPJboKdVfA5PBEPIlnR8S5o74XOCm9Wm7TyQVScvOtjsOP5UDc0rUBzOr6c9D3y7DF_GrsT2U6Ucp17AiFq3PoPMPC2gQoNf-ehBh9i9_goJ9tR8Bg4n7c9-rY3ZYRkuKS7xrFcNGj58uPIv7w4UIF8_xFj2SD38ns3SIaQZtiwl3xv6AeenMGEhGlU26ITZAdxko2VNvTZHfr6nBS107drBhO9679X4xLiCB_JB

The tree is pretty straightforward, just follow the main path and grab what you need. Just note that if you run with 88% fire res, you wont be able to run RF until you grab Golems Blood at the very end. If anyone wants a more in-depth guide, let me know and I can provide.

Bandits
Oak
Kill
Kill
Life is very important and the others aren't required.

The Synergies

Flame Surge and Righteous Fire

Flame Surge does 50% MORE damage to burning enemies, but cannot ignite on its own; that's where Righteous Fire comes in. Everything within RF's radius gets ignited and that's when you can do some serious damage with Flame Surge on top of RF's burning damage. Flame Surge was literally created with Righteous Fire in mind, pretty sure there's a quote from GGG somewhere for that.

Doon Cuebiyari and Iron Will

Doon gives 1% increased damage for every 8 strength. This is sub-par on a normal build, but when you stack a load of strength it can really come in handy; especially for spells since the damage modifier is not set to a specific type of damage. Lets do some math real quick so you can get an idea of what we get out of this weapon. I have 1004 strength, the game rounds that up to 1005, now lets divide that by 8 and we get 125. Thats 125% increased damage, with better cast speed(up to 18%) this is better than Doryani's. Of course we are using Iron Will and it gives 1% increased damage per 5 strength, so lets math it up. 1005/5 = 201% increased spell damage. Plus the 38% for being level 20.

Arctic Armour and Cloak of Flame

These two go very well together in my experience. CoF converts 20% of physical damage taken to fire damage and that fire damage is mitigated by your high fire res. Throw in arctic Armour and you take 13% less physical and 12% less fire damage. All this mitigation paired with high life sums up to very good survivability.

Now that you know the mechanics of this build we can move on to what gems to use and how they are set up.

Skill Gems
These are all your weapons to deliver mass destruction

Now the set-up

Let's begin with our main skill; Flame surge. For a 6L set-up it is as follows:

We use Concentrated Effect for huge DPS boost and to help keep bosses cuddled up inside RF's warm hugs. Fire Penetration has a more damage modifier and is extremely crucial to the build.
For a 5L set-up, just drop Added Chaos Damge. NOTE: this causes a huge DPS drop(52k for me). This will not hinder mapping.

Next lets focus on Righteous Fire, I personally use a 3L set-up.

Increased Area of Effect widens the radius of RF, burning enemies sooner. Increased Burning Damage has obvious effects. A 4L set-up can be used with Concentrated Effect to increase damage even more but with a smaller radius.

So now our supportive attack: Incinerate. I put this in Doon to gain the level 30 Iron Will

A level 21 LMP is not required, I just got lucky. Either way, incinerate still does formidable damage even with this set-up. Flame Surge trumps it with single target DPS though.

I use a very simple CWDT set-up for this build. Modified for 2.0 since Enduring Cry no longer casts with CWDT.

This is based off personal preference, you can replace molten shell with a curse like enfeeble if you want a defensive play style or a lower level elemental weakness for more offensive playing.

Lightning warp is very simple and is used to get out of tight situations and for extra movement in maps.

Faster casting can be used if you have the room for it.

Everything else.

Where these go is up to you. I use a manual enfeeble for Atziri runs. Flame golem is also an option if you feel your defense is good enough.

Jewels
Here is what I use:

This doesnt look like it helps much but it really does and gives an ok damage boost.
I also use Efficient Training in the slot under MoM to gain a nice amount of strength for life and damage.

Brawn is also a good option and can provide a lot of strength and some life. Right now jewels can get expensive so those with three or four good mods are hard to come by, so if you can craft or find a nice jewel, use it. You can also shift some points around to grab other jewel sockets if you have others you want to use.

Current Gear

That is basically it. If I missed anything, please let me know. If any other more advanced players have any tips or suggestions for this build to make it better, that would be cool as well. Thank you for looking!
Last edited by BurninBodies on Aug 13, 2015, 2:54:33 PM
Last bumped on May 13, 2016, 4:32:32 PM
Interesting build. Not bad.

But when you run into an enemy with 60-75% fire res...? The lack of a fire pen gem bothers me, since it gives you over 130% more true damage versus max-res mobs.

Also, why not AOE nodes? I can only imagine that the clear is a little awkward in maps, considering flame surge's cone is so narrow that it really limited my positioning even when I was running 75% AOE. Using Conc with no AOE must turn it into a single-target melee skill.

Also the Celestial circle is a little far stretch.

Asides from those, looks pretty decent.
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
Last edited by KuteKitteh on Jul 26, 2015, 7:41:06 PM
also, post a video when u suffer from clearing a map.
"
KuteKitteh wrote:
Interesting build. Not bad.

But when you run into an enemy with 60-75% fire res...? The lack of a fire pen gem bothers me, since it gives you over 130% more true damage versus max-res mobs.

Also, why not AOE nodes? I can only imagine that the clear is a little awkward in maps, considering flame surge's cone is so narrow that it really limited my positioning even when I was running 75% AOE. Using Conc with no AOE must turn it into a single-target melee skill.

Also the Celestial circle is a little far stretch.

Asides from those, looks pretty decent.

Trust me, it bothers me too, but with the current tree, I cannot sustain the mana with fire pen socketed. But so far I haven't had any trouble with fire res mobs.

I only use Flame Surge for rare and unique mobs, all clearing is done with Incinerate for better area coverage.

Do you have any suggestions on where I could possibly allocate those celestial points to get the same or better stats?

Thank you for your feedback :)
"
freddie123 wrote:
also, post a video when u suffer from clearing a map.

I don't suffer from clearing maps, but thanks. I'll have a video up when I get the chance.
^
Nice to see a RF flame surge build. How is the AoE for clearspeed?

I'm curious why you didn't go crit. Spells benefit from crit even for little investment.

This is a tree I was theorycrafting that should hit 80-90k tooltip on a 5L (with Dory scepter).
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
Nice to see a RF flame surge build. How is the AoE for clearspeed?

I'm curious why you didn't go crit. Spells benefit from crit even for little investment.

This is a tree I was theorycrafting that should hit 80-90k tooltip on a 5L (with Dory scepter).

Clearing with Flame Surge is a pain to be honest, which is why I use LMP Incinerate. FS is strictly for very small packs, rare mobs, and bosses.

My whole philosophy for this build was strength stacking. I wanted Doon to be better than Doryani's and I knew it could benefit from the extra spell increase because of added chaos damage gem. Also, stacking so much strength and life increase results in a lot of life for RF damage. I also didnt want to run vitality, so I got as much life regen as possible. Crit on this build would be cool, but I like the raw feel it gives.

Your build looks promising, but with the cast buff Flame Surge got in 2.0 mana consumption skyrockets. And without reduced mana cost nodes and a lot of mana and mana regen I find it might be very hard to keep up with mana. My FS cost is 20 at 5.35 cps with 39 mana regen per second and I still cant fully permacast. And I also have 125% increased mana regen just like your tree. Unless you use clarity, then you might have a shot. Now, dont let me discourage you! Go for it, I could be terribly wrong and just suck at this game. Thank you for taking a look at my build and for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
Can you help me with leveling questions . What skill should i use before lvl 60~ . Helpfull uniques etc ,or any tips :) Thank u!
"
velislav87 wrote:
Can you help me with leveling questions . What skill should i use before lvl 60~ . Helpfull uniques etc ,or any tips :) Thank u!

Until level 20 you can use pretty much anything, mana sustain always sucks then. I recommend an Elreon ring if you have access. Use Incinerate as soon as possible if you have a -7-8 mana cost ring. Also, clarity will be your best friend until very late game when you switch to RF. If you can set this up, incinerate will be what you'll level with, along with flame surge.

As far as items or uniques,

This could really be helpful for awhile, also a lifesprig is amazing early game. Dual wield either of these if you wish. Cybils paw when you reach that level is also good, it will help with survivability because of the life gained per hit of your spells. Especially use this if you're casting incinerate. Dual wielding is recommended. These will probably last you awhile and switching to a shield is recommended for merciless but probably not necessary.

Start leveling lightning warp and less duration asap, it will get you out of tight situations or when you want to jump to an enemy quickly once it reaches a decent level.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Thank you :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info