[2.0] Tyrone Jackson's 189k burst mf bomber - fun, useful, sc viable (WIP)

Do you cringe in fear at the thought of specific map bosses? Running out of maps but not willing to put the exp of your level 87 character on the line in a dangerous room?

Tyrone Jackson is here to help. No longer will you skip that labyrinth boss just because it can one shot your character. Jungle valley won't be impossible for your character anymore... just really hard. And if you manage to get to a high level with this build, I'd bet that you'll be able to do that double dominus palace map just fine.

What type of build is this, you might ask?

Well, it's fairly simple, and I'll admit it's not a totally original idea. But I hope in this guide to convince you of this character's usefulness, and I encourage you to try rolling one yourself to supplement your existing character selection. After all, now may be your only chance to roll a character like this in the near future.

The core idea
Spoiler
Essentially, this build is a variant of the popular suicide bomber builds that always seem to spring up every time there happens to be a passive tree reset. Our most important gem is, unsurprisingly:

The idea is simple. We walk into a dangerous room (preferrably a boss room), die, and in the process cast a load of spells that wipe out anything close to your character.

The level one description of cast on death belies its incredible power - a 300% more damage modifier at level 20, which effectively allows you to do the damage equivalent of four casts of any spell. This is the first step towards obtaining the ridiculous damage required to one shot mobs every time you die.

The next step is an extremely offensively oriented passive tree. Because we do not care at all about survivability, we can skip out on all defensive nodes on the tree and only go for offensive ones. This results in a tree that provides ludicrous damage and crit bonuses to our character.

Finally, we have our gear. Again, our ambivalence towards defense allows us to choose offensively suited gear such as:

Tabula Rasa is a cheap way to obtain a 6L, which is vital to getting adequate damage for this build.

Where does mf come in?
Spoiler
As it turns out, it's quite easy to achieve one shot capacity simply by combining all of the offensive tactics outlined above, leaving many pieces of our gear open to do whatever we want with it. And given that we essentially don't care at all about defense, what better way to put these extra pieces of gear to use than MF?

For our amulet, ring, belt, and boot slots we have the freedom to essentially choose MF oriented uniques or rares. I recommend a setup like the following:

The amulet is a typical triple rarity amulet (they can get far better), the 2 Andvariuses give insane amounts of IIR, and Wondertrap is especially good here - because you are always at low life upon dying, you will always get the 100% increased rarity bonus. Perandus blazon supplies your only quantity from gear, so it's decent in that regard.

Additionally, we run a culling strike setup linked to both item rarity and item quantity in hopes of occasionally getting a cull off, resulting in even more mf. Because this requires a 5L, and we do not want to sacrifice our damage 6L for this purpose, we use

to create the required pseudo 5L. Firestorm works well for the purpose of culling because it lasts for more than a second, allowing you to cull the enemy after your main damage payload has gone off.

Gem setup
Spoiler
Discharge is, by far, the best main damage payload spell you can use on a Cast on Death build. Period. It deals an insane amount of burst damage with enough charges, which scales extremely well with Cast on Death's multiplier. However, there really are only 4 efficient gems to scale discharge with in this situation: cast on death, increased critical damage, concentrated effect, and empower. As such, it's actually a good idea to socket a second damage source into our main 6L, and with concentrated effect, firestorm is a fairly potent boss killer. As such, our main 6L looks like:

Cast on Death - Firestorm - Discharge - Increased Critical Damage - Empower - Concentrated Effect

Make sure you socket firestorm before discharge so it gains the full benefits of all of your charges while you still have them.

Of course, you can use variants of this if you prefer to do things differently. Replacing Firestorm with increased critical strikes is not a bad idea if you don't have 95% crit chance yet, and concentrated effect can be swapped for increased aoe on weaker bosses. In fact, if you're willing to gamble a little more on your damage output, then

Cast on Death - Discharge - Increased Critical Damage - Increased Critical Strikes - Empower - Increased AoE

is actually a pretty good boss clearer that gives you some room for error in case you can't close the gap to a boss quickly enough. This alone can one shot bosses up to level 74 (I haven't tested beyond that).

Other than that, the rest of your links are just supporting damage output. In all honesty though, they all pale in comparison to the damage of the initial discharge, so they're mostly useful in the rare circumstance that your discharge does not crit. Here are the links I'm currently using, though they are likely to change soon:

3L : Cast on death - Assassin's Mark - Portal (This link is actually very good. Assassin's mark can increase your damage significantly if it curses enemies before your discharge, and portal allows you to quickly recover to the position of your death outside of maps. The merits of portal are more debatable while mapping.)

4L : Cast on death - Concentrated Effect - Firestorm - Glacial Cascade

4L Broken Crown : Firestorm - Culling Strike - Item Rarity - Item Quantity

4L : Cast on death - Arc - Herald of Ice - Herald of Thunder (Activate heralds for some extra damage)

3L : Whirling blades - Faster attacks - Righteous Fire (Whirling blades allows us to close the gap to bosses before we die, while righteous fire takes us down to 1 hp so that we can easily be one shotted by any mob. Blood rage is another option that I haven't tried yet.)

Flasks
Spoiler

These provide us with max charges for our discharge, while simultaneously lowering our health and es. The power charges give us a lot of free crit, and the frenzy charges give us more damage. All in all, a very solid setup. People who have enough damage / crit can use

for some extra rarity and quantity.

Gear
Spoiler

All of my gear in one place. I'm fairly happy with everything right now. Daggers can still be upgraded for spell damage, and discharge is yet to reach level 20, but the damage is already sufficient. I've been able to one shot every boss I've encountered in a 2 man party (up to Malformation piety).

I'm too lazy to link my jewels right now, but you should aim for spell/elemental damage, crit chance, and crit multi.

Gameplay
Spoiler
When I use this build
I'm mapping on my 87 windripper char and come across a dangerous map boss in a map with rippy stats (-max res, vulnerability, etc). I drop a portal before the boss room, switch to my MF bomber, enter the map, and go to town.

How to kill a target
There are two main components to successfully slaying a target:
1. Knowing where the target is
2. Getting a crit

You don't have any control over the second one (other than trying to cap your crit chance), but the first is incredibly important. Having a good sense of where your target is will prevent premature deaths and wasted map portals. This obviously matters a lot less if you're not in a map, as you can just keep trying to kill the damn target.

In most situations, you should use whirling blades for movement until you have a direct visual on your target - this does a surprisingly good job of keeping you alive from trash mobs. Then, the moment you see your target, whirling blades into it and then walk on top of it while chugging all 5 of your flasks and activating righteous fire. The moment your target attacks you, you should explode into a lethal pyrotechnics display.

It's worth noting that this build has one of the best merciless malachai kill times I've ever seen - your discharge one shots the beast hearts and can do up to a third of malachai's health on crit.

Typical gameplay:

Solo MF
This build is also a very powerful Dom / Voll runner, capable of one shotting both of those bosses with the increased AoE setup. Simply whirling blades until you reach the target (no heralds required) and then detonate. For dom, it will take a few explosions to clear out the trash additional bosses, but both stages should be easily taken down in a single discharge. I might even recommend switch rarity and quantity onto your discharge in place of increased AoE and increased critical strikes.

Passive tree
Spoiler
You should definitely respec a character to make this build (hence why now is a prime time to make this build in standard). Leveling this build without dying will be a nightmare.

My level 72 witch (which didn't get the right bandits):

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMABUIOSA_EES0RlhVQFkAc3B0UHxggbioLLJwtHy2oO3xBlkSrRnFG10yzUDBR-1WuVyld8mSdZlRmnm1sb55wUnDVcYVyD3cHe9d8g3_GghCDCYV9hxOJ04w2jmSPGo9Gj6aP-pMnlG-VIJeXnKSdY6EvoqOksacIrrOxQrGQtAy0OLVItvq4yrmTvoC-isHFwfPDCcrTzRbQH9D1217fsOUZ5Y7r7uv17Bjv6_Id8xHz6vem-tL79VWFpcs=?accountName=hypernegus&characterName=TyroneJacksonX

Damage, damage, more damage, jewel sockets about sums it up. Area of effect bonuses may be worth getting if you aren't using firestorm. Pain attunement gives you a nice more damage bonus on low life.

Ideal level 80 build:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMABUIOSA_EES0RlhZAHNwdFB8YIG4qCyycLR8tqDt8QZZEq0ZxRtdMs1AwUftVrlcpXfJknWZUZp5tbG-ecFJw1XGFcg93B3vXfIN_xoIQgwmFfYcTidOMNo5kjxqPRo-mj_qTJ5RvlSCXl5yknWOhL6KjpLGnCK6zsUKxkLQMtDi1SLb6uMq5k76AvorBxcHzwwnK080W0B_Q9dte37DlGeWO6-7r9ewY7-vyHfMR8-r3pvrS-_VVhaXLm6EYangvfOVYB0V8WfOfPi3S?accountName=hypernegus&characterName=TyroneJacksonX

This one gets an extra endurance charge for even better discharge damage and an additional curse (so that you can use Cast on Death - Assassin's Mark - Elemental Weakness).

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill all - Kill all - Kraitlyn

The extra frenzy charge from Kraitlyn gives you 4% more damage and allows you to get 5 frenzy charges for your discharge. Additional power charges are useless because 5x Doedre's elixir only provides you with 5 power charges, and you already get 5 charges from the passive tree.

Offense / defense screens
Spoiler
All of these taken with the first recommended gem setups:

Discharge:

Dps Firestorm:

Culling Firestorm:

Defense:

The damage that I have here has been enough to one shot malformation piety (I forget if she had any mods or not), and is more than enough to do blow up non-map bosses consistently with increased AoE.

Changelog:
Spoiler

2015-08-08 16:26 EDT: Added small parts on MF solo runs and updated boss kill record.
2015-07-25 21:28 EDT: Better title
2015-07-25 6:57 EDT: Added changelog and malachai tidbit
[2.1] Harvest Blade Vortex - 70% phys mitigation perma flask build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1564887
[1.2] Naked Marauder Build - end game build with no clothes!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1031339
Last edited by hypernegus on Aug 8, 2015, 4:26:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info