[2.2][Atzri viable!] Scion Ball lightning Tanky 4 Curses. Beginner Friendly!

Hello there, this is my ball lightning scion with 3/4/5 curses. The reason I am posting this build is the fluidity of this build. I'll give a quick summary of the build, then explain each parts.

This is my first guide and is still a work in progress, so bear with me. (I have a lot more to update now, but I'll wait for a bit longer to finalize my thoughts)

Killed Atzri for the first time on this build!!
Videos

Curse Immune Gorge ~ 5 mins
Rare Gorge ~ 5 mins
Both these videos aren't "speed runs" but rather to showcase. I am running with 11 %MS boots too :P

The Build
The build is a scion ball lightning that scales AoE and can use up to 5 curses relatively easily. What this means is that you gain more damage, are more survival and a great party member! Since we scale AoE and since they buffed Ball Lightning AoE by 33%, we do not require LMP or GMP which allows for more damage with our gems.

I am trying a Staff build this time due to Controlled Destruction and Elemental Focus being added. It's almost exactly similar to 1h+ shield, just slightly less tanky.

Leveling Tree
Magma orb and Freezing Pulse are very nice to level with, but any spell is good since we don't specialize in lightning damage until 50+
43 point skill tree Can get the celestial punishment damage nodes as opposed to the scion life tree if you want more damage instead of tankiness early on.
68 point skill tree
96 point skill tree

End Game Passive Tree
Current Tree

Still experimenting with the last few points. Might try to go for Aura cluster once I hit 95

Ascendancy Classes
Currently, there are two classes that you can go for Ascendancy: Scion and Witch.
Elementalist
The only real route I could see for Scion towards Elementalist. It's very helpful for solo play, as well as generally pretty beneficial. The only thing we don't use is the Golem damage buff sadly.
Slayer
Slayer helps solve one of our major problems: damage against Rares/Uniques. Since taken this node, I've felt a significant improvement in the killspeed of rares and uniques. The only downside is that I have not really felt the impact of the increased cast speed while leeching.

Pros
-Amazing pack clear. Kills White/Magic packs quickly
-Amazing Map clear. Cast ball lightning and move with it.
-Reflect handled with Topaz flask and Warlord's Mark.
-Tanky with Arctic Armor, Mind over Matter, Warlord's Mark, Enfeeble, and Immortal Cry.
-Very customizable. Can reduce number of curses for a lot of MF, or increase number of curses for party play
-Can do most map mods
-Only require's Doedre's Damning/Geofri's Crest if you want to be more powerful.
-Can do 13% reflect with Warlord's Mark + PoL with some flask management easily!
-Very leveling friendly.

Cons
-Cannot do reflect maps without PoL/Saffels
-Cannot do no regen maps without mana flask/careful play
-Requires a lot of movement for some Map bosses and hard packs.
-Curse Immune maps doable but risky/annoying

Auras
-Purity of Lightning ( I prefer this over HoT since it makes reflect much easier to handle)
-Arctic Armor
-Clarity
-Wrath (If you want to go more DPS, but frankly, I found this completely unneeded)

Useful Uniques
-Doedre's Damning, Windscream for more curses
-Doedre's Scorn, *100% increased damage with perfect rolls*
-Geofri's Crest, for more damage
-Carcass Jack to get rid of some AoE nodes for more points
-Doryani's Invitation (rare belt can be much better)
-Rathpith Globe
-Vicatario's Acuity. Almost BiS at the end of the build. It pairs up extremely well with this build!

Bandits
You have several options.
Normal: Oak
Cruel: Alira or kill. Either 5% cast speed or point.
Mericless: Oak or kill. Since we run warlord's mark, we are almost always using Endurence Charges, which results in a longer Immortal Cry. It costs 2 points to get another Endurence charge off the tree, but if you get the point you can get more dps from more jewels.

Hardcore
I would like to say this is hardcore viable. Running Enfeeble + Warlord's Mark really helps keep you topped off/safe. Decoy totem helps in risky situations. In general, the only thing the killed me while level up in standard Perandus was FPS drops at chests or stun locks when I wasn't running enfeeble. Once I ran Enfeeble + Warlord's Mark and CWDT+ IC setup, I have not died at all.

As far as the leveling tree, it is the same exact tree, except focusing more on life as you level. Once you get cruel ACT IV, you would have taken most of your health nodes and some dps nodes to get you by.

Usage of decoy totem is very important to avoid bad situations and getting stormed.

Offence
-Geofri's Crest for Storm Call.
-Links: Storm Call- Spell Echo - Concentrated Effect - Elemental Focus

Storm Call Dps

Tooltip DPS in town is 4.7k. Coupled with your curses and shock, this is pretty decent at taking down rares if you need to.

Main BL DPS- in Town

I am actually shocked at how effective 3.1k BL tooltip is. You face roll almost everything!

4-Links: Ball Lightning - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen. - Controlled Destruction
5-Links: Ball Lightning - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen. - Controlled Destruction - Elemental Focus

-Rare Chest piece for Curse on Hit.

4-Links, DPS: Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - Elemental Weakness - Warlord's Mark.
5-Links, DPS: Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - Elemental Weakness - Conductivity - Warlord's Mark.

4-Links, Tank: Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - Enfeeble - Warlord's Mark.
5-Links, Tank: Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - Enfeeble - Warlord's Mark - Elemental Weakness.

6-Links: Ball Lightning- Curse on Hit- Elemental Weakness- Conductivity- Enfeeble- Warlords Mark.

I HIGHLY recommend Warlord's Mark and Enfeeble in 5-Links+. You kill things fast enough already and avoiding death is more important than getting a little more dps.

Defense
-Mind over Matter
Stats
http://imgur.com/adGoicj.png

-Artic Armor
-Warlords Mark (Life/Mana Leech and Endurance charges)
-Enfeeble
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Cry
This has saved my life too much and I would highly recommend it as a top priority to get. I use CWDT + IC + Increased Duration + Enduring Cry. Since CWDT doesn't trigger Enduring Cry, you are able to manually cast it in case you are in a situation where you would like the health regen from Enduring Cry, or would like to be topped off in charges in case IC was just triggered.

At level 83 and with Artic Armor, Herald of Thunder, and Clarity, I have 400 mana for MoM. This might not seem as much, but with Warlord's Mark on enemies, you almost always have full mana. If not, we have about 100 mana regen/s. This coupled with AA 12% less fire/13% less physical, and Enfeeble reducing enemy damage by at least 30%, we are quite tanky for a caster. We can't face tank everything, so kiting is necessary sometimes, but with the nature of ball lightning, you are still doing damage while kiting!

Magic Find Version
Magic find with this build is relatively easy. Since we only use a rare chest, we have a much easier time getting resists. You can replace your doedre's damning with rarity rings or even Andvarius and generally we would still be capped resists. You can then use Windscreams to maintain 3 curses still. If need be, replace Herald of Thunder with a Purity Aura and you should be fine.

Current gear I am using

The 6-link +3 is courtesy of Foxtactics!! Shoutout to him for being super awesome and making me fall in love with casters!

Atzri
Eassssyy. With the staff setup I am running, I have almost zero problems in all stages. During Trio, it can get annoying with how fast they move, but otherwise, it's a piece of cake. Atzri is even easier than expected because I just realized I could curse!! Running with Slower Proj. allows me to do damage even with a lot of movement!
Last edited by Fantasykill4 on Apr 13, 2016, 11:14:06 PM
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2016, 4:43:18 AM
7/21/15Updated for Atzri-not complete, still trying to kill her.
7/22/15Bandit update
1/23/15Added a more tanky version with block. Test in progress.
7/27/15Added a leveling tree section
3/16/2015Updated for 2.2, using staff this league.
Last edited by Fantasykill4 on Mar 16, 2016, 10:06:54 PM
"
Fantasykill4 wrote:
I don't use Lightning Pen. because it seems added lightning works better with the nature of BL.

Lightning penetration would be better against enemies with postive resists. With the conductivity/ele weakness double curse this should only be the case for rares and bosses with (over)capped resists.
a few numbers

Assuming lvl 21 gems the bare base damage of ball lightning would be:
-50 resists: 258 (ald) - 244 (l.pen.)
0 resists: 172 (ald) - 179 (l.pen.)
+30 resists: 120 (ald) - 140 (l.pen.)
+50 resists: 86 (ald) - 114 (l.pen.)
+75 resists: 43 (ald) - 82 (l.pen.)
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
"
Fantasykill4 wrote:
I don't use Lightning Pen. because it seems added lightning works better with the nature of BL.

Lightning penetration would be better against enemies with postive resists. With the conductivity/ele weakness double curse this should only be the case for rares and bosses with (over)capped resists.
a few numbers

Assuming lvl 21 gems the bare base damage of ball lightning would be:
-50 resists: 258 (ald) - 244 (l.pen.)
0 resists: 172 (ald) - 179 (l.pen.)
+30 resists: 120 (ald) - 140 (l.pen.)
+50 resists: 86 (ald) - 114 (l.pen.)
+75 resists: 43 (ald) - 82 (l.pen.)

Ah thank you for this. I didn't realize this. I'll socket it Lightning pen. for bosses and see how that goes. It might be worth it to keep one around while mapping just to make boss fights go faster!
Have u tested this build in HC? Is it hc viable?
norm\uber Atziri?
"
Tomtah wrote:
Have u tested this build in HC? Is it hc viable?

I have not tested this in HC yet but it probably could do HC. I'll try it out in tempest and see how it goes, but I am pretty bad at playing HC leagues.

"
IronReggie wrote:
norm/uber Atziri?

I have not tried Atziri yet, I'll do so as soon as I get my level and let you know.
What's the bandit rewards? I assume Oak/Kill/Kill.

Playing the build on Tempest, great fun so far (Act 2 Cruel).

Edit: Went with helping Alira on Cruel. 5% cast speed is nice.
Last edited by Karyoplasma on Jul 22, 2015, 5:27:01 PM
"
Karyoplasma wrote:
What's the bandit rewards? I assume Oak/Kill/Kill.

Playing the build on Tempest, great fun so far (Act 2 Cruel).

Edit: Went with helping Alira on Cruel. 5% cast speed is nice.

Thanks for the reminder! I knew I forgot something. I'll update the guide with my thoughts.
Added a tankier version with block. Trying to find an alternative to Rathpith Globe to make it more reasonable price wise

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info