a 3megabyte patch requires about 6gb of space to install.

This means every time there is a patch I uninstall and reinstall the entire game, wasting quite a lot of bandwidth. My ssd is an old model and the os takes up half of it. I easily have about 7gb free for PoE but I don't not have 12-14gb free that poe actually requires.

why not fix this technical issue? most games don't have this problem.

This ends up meaning if I haven't played path of exile for a while, instead of occasionally logging in to try it out, I just quit for a year.

Yes I have plenty of space on my old fashioned 3tb drive, but there's no way to designate that space as a patching location, another solution that would work for me. I like loading new maps instantly. Which only my ssd can do.

I know this isn't a very big deal, but it's been several years, and I'm starting to doubt anyone cares at all.
This when you play through steam right? if so thats just how steam dose the patching, the standalone client is much quicker and dose not require the extra space
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
This when you play through steam right? if so thats just how steam dose the patching, the standalone client is much quicker and dose not require the extra space

Yup, pretty much this. If it's the Steam version then there are going to be patching issues, though some games are set up so they can do the patching properly without having to download the entire game again. It's hit or miss on whether a Steam game patches with just the small patch download.
Ahh. I think i used to use the standalone client a long time ago, back when I played more often.

I know some steam games manage it though... so I dislike just blaming valve. oh well.

Maybe I should re-get the standalone.
"
namad wrote:
Ahh. I think i used to use the standalone client a long time ago, back when I played more often.

I know some steam games manage it though... so I dislike just blaming valve. oh well.

Maybe I should re-get the standalone.

Some Steam games do manage it, and some don't. I'm not sure on the technical details of it but based on how Mortal Kombat X went about doing things with its patching/downloads and other stuff it seems it depends on how the game was made in the first place so updating it to be able to make use of the way Steam handles patches might not be feasible.

And yep, the standalone client will be better.
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on Jul 15, 2015, 2:15:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info