Frost Blades

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Dec 13, 2023, 9:50:29 AM
is the projectile damage on this skill calculated the same way as on lightning strike? If so, would it be possible to list projectile damage separately on the skill tooltip?
That which does not kill us, makes a huge mistake.
Yes.
Not currently, otherwise they would.
Really enjoying this new skill. I always wanted to build a melee character around the idea of throwing daggers in monsters' faces. I was excited when Spectral Throw came out, but didn't thematically enjoy the boomerang effect and the skill range. Ethereal knives is great thematically, however it is a spell. Enter Frost Blades.

I am playing with 2 variants: a 46 shadow using CoC-EK and 57 duelist using two corrupted prismatic eclipses for +4 weapon range each. Just like there are STR archers with Iron Grip, this is a new variant of a melee char attacking at close-mid range like an archer. And unlike Spectral Throw, Frost Blades works best with stutter stepping (again like a hit and run ranged character) in order to line up mobs for maximum effect.

CoC build working well. Prismatic Eclipse build is fun however PDS is lacking... as expected. I will try a Dreamfeather build too, but damage likely to be lacking as well.
Last edited by bolowbc on Jul 13, 2015, 3:24:38 PM
I found this skill difficult to use and to like earlier in the levels, but becoming significantly better as I got more critical strike and critical multiplier (I am building crit "melee" build).

At 65 now, with 50% crit chance and ~250% multi, it actually one-shots most of the monster packs. As expected, the single target dps is very sub-par, leading to a lot of difficult fights on bosses and such, but this build performs quite well for AOE clearing.

Imho multistrike helps out with targetting issues significantly, since it autotargets monsters around you and does a very nice job of spreading the icy love around. Projectiles are semi-homing, meaning that you don't really waste a lot of projectiles even without fork or chain (which are unnecessary on this skill imho). The current supports I am using are hypothermia, multistrike, WED, cold pen (probably to be switched to phys projectile damage); with hatred and herald of ice aura.

I would like more clarity on how much of the initial hit is done by projectiles (100%, 60%, etc?), and how the projectiles interact with melee support gems and how their crit damage is calculated (e.g. does abyssus melee crit chance affect these projectiles? does melee weapon damage gem affect them?).
Targeting is definitely a big issue for this skill until you can get Multistrike. It feels very clunky to use early on.

Clear speed is alright at higher level but it requires a second skill setup for single target - which will require that you go in melee range. Kinda defeats the whole point of making a ranged melee.

As other have asked, clarification on projectile damage is needed.
After playing with frost blades in the hardcore league i have made these conclusions about the skill and how it should be used, please feel free to criticize. (It is considered that i am playing hardcore and not softcore, therefore survivability is focused on.)
- Frost blades should be stacked with either Physical damage (not melee damage) or ele damage. Can also be stacked with crit. Because the skill invovles both melee and projectile damage it is smartest to stack the things that boost both.
- Frost blades should be used with a claw (again HC-league..), since the life on hit gains crazy life steal
- In regards to support gems one can use alot of different gems. I highly recommend using something like LMP+LoH(more leech)+Multistrike(removes the "targeting" this spell has)+Pierce+whatever you like)
- The reason i think pierce is better than chain is because the projectiles are all ready "seeking" the mobs therefore removing some of the benefits chain has. Whereas pierce will increase the damage on larger packs by ALOT, and will also gain more LoH.
- For single target (which FB lags alot) i use double strike since i am using only 1h combined with some shit that makes the damage higher.
- The skill kinda sucks to level with, therefore going lametotem the first levels is smart. With that said the skill can easily be effective if you have a great weapon or just overall good gear, which you normally dont have.
- For survivability i use acrobatics+phase acrobatics, a shield, and many life notes+a claw. Makes the character extremly tanky. (atleast in cruel).

Overall the skill is fun to use, but takes some time to master. It can be a very strong skill combined with the right gear and passives. Tho lametotems and other faceroll nobrain builds are probably better and easier to play.
Feel free to ask questions.
Using right now and really enjoying. I use it with warlord reach jewel and master of the arena passive for an additional +3 melee range.
I wonder how it work with Point Black passive.
Hello Ing : Strangie
Point blank should be relatively straightforward and a no-brainer for this skill. The explosion's origin is whoever you hit first, and point blank will be calculated from that point.
I am currently using this skill and it seems promising. However, i felt like i kept dying. I am using a dagger and a shield ofc i think i shud respec and go with clawsss for the life leech but coudn't find any good ones. Can someone link their shadow build with claws? Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info