XX% more/increased melee physical damage to attacks that deal only phsyical

I know the devs are scrambling for the final crunch for the 2.0 expansion, but I'm hoping a dev can earmark this idea for future use.

Basically, there already exists the components necessary for a "physical-only" build, but currently it's a theme build that passes up huge advantages and rewards with very little on the whole. It would be cool if there were some kind of explicit reward for running as the reddest-of-the-red Marauders. Some thoughts on how to implement it:

Herald of Stone. I know it's on the backburner, this could be an interesting way to keep the buff from being too widely used, since a lot of elemental builds convert from physical (and would thus benefit from all normal physical increases as well).

Put it behind the Blood Magic keystone. I think the current implementation of Blood Magic is going the wrong way; nobody's going to reserve life for auras, even getting it as low as 10% still means you're effectively taking 10% more damage. So instead just put some really powerful nodes behind Blood Magic to make up for the lost bonuses from auras. Again, this fits well with the theme of the "redder-than-blood" marauder as well; using mana and casting auras isn't a very Marauder thing to do, real marauders don't fuss about with anything that is associated with the color blue!

Put it in a jewel! Though a bit more boring if you ask me, since it drastically reduces the opportunity cost, opening it up to other builds such as ranger or wander builds.

Make an attack skill/support gem out of it and/or add this modifier to a different attack skill. Could be boring or interesting, depending on the attack skill. Though on an attack skill it opens up more interesting ways of applying the mechanic than a simple damage buff, such as: "Skill repeats if the attack dealt only physical damage", or "50% more area of effect radius if attack dealt only physical damage", or even "enemies have 25% reduced stun threshold if the attack dealt only physical damage".

Anyway, hope to see some "no-magic" Marauder love in the future!
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I disagree, melee-physical-builds already get:
more physical damage support gem
more physical damage on full life support gem
lot's of life and mana leech passives and affixes on gear
actually everything that needs a melee attack
implicit armour penetration with high single-hit-attacks
in most cases higher base crit chances than casters
getting easily more defense with fortify in 3 days when PoE 2.0 is coming out

The disadvantage melee-builds had where:
probably faster deaths because they are always in range of enemy melee attackers
worse positioning when desync is striking again (according to "rumors" there will be a solution called "lockstep" :P)

About the Blood Magic:
take it or leave it

Herald of Stone:
multiple suggestions where made, what would make your version of Herald of Stone special?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info