Build for new gamer (her firs online game)

So, my girl friend just started to play and asked for my help. All she wants is: pretty fighter who looks super cute. Yea, women, right?

However, she is new to games and i don't want to scare her away, so i made a simple ice warrior build, but i don't know if it gonna be simple yet fun enough for her.

What i have in mind:
Talent tree: https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAvrz0xkUKNdYxnt9v74_IzE4qW6_dDSzpFSAqTT8nSsgRgd1GY6dW-vzF4iwJM9E2wHYUjhc-TeOmV_6PNZK18m6q2L3-CnGFwBpZ86yqcqnE9jwtxq63PrFCMJc5ikbXGjiQVYx2tzGxBbjQga_aOij6gsf56EGH-dvli52upwi4k-vufsefARdUTC0RD6yY99eboY9GIoGeoVZKjjwcpxjXU6V35Xy7JIs9DzKJV-JRYE99gFYGOfMG-6pj_Xrm8WzsVSqNSRs22C6Ul4U09yGwgpvtIP5UDc0rUBzOCfbUfAYOJ-3kUWeb1I8ZLpit

Skills:
1) Ice Crash* or Glacial Hammer + Weapon Elemental Damage + Added Fire Damage + Added Cold Damage + Cold to Fire
2) Herald of Ice + Cold to Fire
3) Molten Shell
4) Curse on Hit + Frostbite + Flammability
5) Cast on Melee Kill + Arctic Breath + Iron Will + Iron Grip + Cold to Fire
6) Cast when Damage Taken + Arctic Breath + Iron Will + Iron Grip + Cold to Fire
7) Summon Ice Golem* + Minion Damage + Added Cold Damage
(*- when these will be available)

Of course i will help her a lot, what do you guys think? Is this simple enough for new player?
why not.. couple of things first:

dont plan with 120 points, youll most likely never reach lvl 100 and you also need your build to be completed much earlier. Plan with 95-100 points

it is not optimal to focus on 2 damage types (fire, cold). Its best to put points in passives that all your (main) damage benfits from. In case of Ice crash/glacial hammer your damage will probably come from phys weapon. So it would be best to spec in physical damage (melee, weapon) passives, because elemental damage converted from/added based on phys still benefits from phys damage mods

1) again. your damage will come from phys weapon, so it is optimal to use supports that scale off phys. added cold is no good in this scenario. you should include melee physical damage support. Also consider using new Hypothermia support. Glacial hammer would require melee splash to work as AoE skill

2) cold to fire is good for nothing with Ice herald (IMO)

4) use elemental weakness instead.. also, cursed on it has to be linked with some other skill. ie Leap slam + fortify + curse on hit + ele weakness

5) similar to curse on hit, cast on melee kill has to be actually linked to the attack you kill enemies with. your setup will do nothing. Use the free slot for ie single target skill (for example you can use ice crash as AoE skill and glacial hammer as single target)

6) good for nothing. use the slots better way. also, iron grip works only with attacks (and arctic breath is a spell)

7) why not, id use minion life

edit: about Cold to fire: Id use this gem only with skills that will be 100% cold to fire converted (with Avatar of fire or pyre ring), thats when this support is the most effective. In your scenarion CtF would be very weak compared to other options
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jul 3, 2015, 8:37:47 AM
I don't think she would get spooked by anything short of that tentacle wings mtx so just don't wear that when she's around and it will be fine.

The skill tree isn't too good, with 120 points you're counting on keeping her interested enough to level up to 100, which realistically isn't going to happen. Also, you're travelling all over the place for fluff like Ice Bite or Forces of nature and spending four points to get one notable in some instances.

If you want to make a Glacial Hammer build and switch to Ice Crash once 2.0 hits (recommended), focus on scaling physical damage instead of elemental, the attack converts damage and physical nodes are beefier and more available. Also, that dual fire/cold investment isn't really doing much for you in the grand scheme of things as it needs a 100% physical-cold-fire conversion to do anything worthwhile. Likewise, that elemental equilibrium is probably a misinvestment on that build. Ah, and you don't have nearly enough life for a melee and virtually no secondary defenses.

Truth be told, she would probably prefer an archer so she can hide behind your broad back and you can play manly and tank for her. Ice shot is badass in beta so that's a good recommendation, she can play that as a Ranger or Scion.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 3, 2015, 8:39:44 AM
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMAghDfsI-mRKtVriych2UQWK-3MjQfAlXGg9sEBzpYLpSXhTT3IbDxbKyY7FUqjUkbNtjR_aeUuJOnCNgkNsVeXXsg_ocQzMautz5Bh_no-JMY1xynU6UMX-RRZ5uuPnfjPC3vDlBHXz8UIAn21HwGDiftxPZM_2jyr2yiAPAfgpvtIOFzkFUnL-w4GjjAGnGFeuZj_UbX2rmxQsRY9kgpLny4Gj7yL9i9_gqUoNpiaHSj8lorwxNY5WaefA6nVVug-tKPRh0UKhM=

Would this be any better? I just don't know what would female would like to play with :D As fast as i know she kinda suck at targeting enemies and have almost no reflexes, so maybe totems would help her out. I am playing minions+auras build, so i am not really "a manly tank". I am pretty sure that she will die a lot, so maybe a lot of %HP per sec + vitality aura will help with that.
Well, i would do something a bit more interesting. Maybe Discharge?

Spoiler
Beware of Lunaris Level 3 and the Belly of the Beast ( Map, not Unique)

Last edited by Zentralexekutive on Jul 3, 2015, 2:57:55 PM
If she is new to games and wants a cute char, I'd definitely pick Witch caster (if she has a new account, Scion has to be unlocked first). Also I would advise a build with limited number of skills to not confuse her too much at the beginning. Maybe Ball Lightning? It's like a bowling a bit and requires less precision than Ice Crash (I am still missiong targets with it with my fps drops:D). Also I guess her build would depend on what auras and curses you'll use.
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
regonix wrote:
As fast as i know she kinda suck at targeting enemies and have almost no reflexes, so maybe totems would help her out.
Maybe Kinetic Blast? Hardly have to aim at all with Lesser or Greater Multiple Projectiles. With reflect changing from an aura to just the rare monster itself reflecting damage, it should be safe enough.

And if she wants to look cute you'd better get her the Dance MTX.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info