Gems - When Does a Quality Gem Beat a Level 20 Gem?

What's generally better...

Having a Level 20 gem with no quality, or a Level 16/17 gem with 20% quality?

In other words, at what level does a 20% quality gem start to beat a Level 20 gem with no quality?
It depends on the quality bonus...some quality bonuses are useless so level does not matter. Other skills get significant boosts.

Better to have both...
As mentioned, it depends on what quality gives... And for that matter, what the level gives: the bonus changes wildly with each skill...

As one example, take auras: their leveling bonus all provide for a stronger EFFECT from the aura: Hatred increases how much cold damage it deals, (well, alongside increased radius) Discipline and Grace provide more energy shield or evasion, and so forth. Their quality bonus? ONLY increased radius: if going solo, 100% useless... And even dubious in groups.

On the flip side, you have some gems, like Immortal Call, where quality points are worth ALMOST 1-for-1 with levels: the 19 levels above 1 grant 0.24 additional seconds, versus up to +0.20 additional seconds for quality: a level 1, 20% quality matches a level 17, 0% quality gem.

And still further, the quality bonus can STILL be useful, but entirely unrelated to what the level provides: Lightning Warp, for instance, cuts DURATION with its level, and increases CAST SPEED with its quality, and both are provided in substantial amounts, so you definitely want both to maximize its overall speed, but there's no clear cut of one being more important/effective than the other.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
For Attacks, levels are somewhat less important, and a lv16-17 Gem with 20% Quality can be much more interesting than a lv20 Gem. Depends on the Quality bonus and how much you need it.
Spells on the other hand scale their Damage really well with Gem levels, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find a Spell that compensates for four levels with its Quality alone.

ACGIFT's post covers utility :)
Most Support Gems where the quality has the same effect as the levels, i.e. both increase the primary stat (Increased Duration, Reduced Duration, Faster Attacks, Faster Casting) start to be better than lvl20 at around lvl10/q20.

Whereas PCoC seems to be the most outstanding: lvl1/q20 is better than lvl20/0q
Last edited by BundesHeinz on Jun 27, 2015, 7:21:03 AM
when i play a caster i always level a duplicate of my main skill in the switch. so when my gems reach lvl 20 i can turn one of them in and keep the other until the one with 20 q catches up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info