[2.0] Theorycrafting "The Electric Fence"

Hi all,

We're all waiting for 2.0 and even if a lot of info is still going to come, we already have some exciting teasers to start thinking about new builds.

The following build is based on this 2.0 confirmed changes:

- Wrath will now increase lightning damage from spells, with a more multiplier
- The new Doryani gloves give 65-230 added lightning damage to spells

=> If we use added lightning damage support gem, Herald of Thunder and Doryani gloves, we'll get

88-638 added lightning damage to spells!

Which is huge! That's before Wrath even. Basically it means you can make any spell a lightning spell now, which will without doubt result in a number of new builds. Also, it can make spells that were really lacking in damage offensively much more viable.

The spell I had in mind to add all this lightning damage to is FROST WALL. Why? The cast speed is mediocre, the crit chance too and it has no projectile or AoE tag to scale with certain support gems. But on the other hand, Frost Wall offers some serious advantages:

- Cannot be manually dodged or blocked by terrain as it just sprouts out of the ground.
- Offers CRAZY defensive boost.
- They will change damage effectiveness on several spells but I'm 99% sure they leave the 100% on Frost Wall as it is far from an OP skill, especially damage-wise.

The gems:

(1/0) Frost Wall: We'll keep it at level 1 because the small damage increases are not worth the increased mana cost. And we don't want those walls to last too long as that can be annoying.

(20/20) Added lightning damage: The core idea of the build: stack as much as possible lightning damage.

(20/20) Lightning penetration: Often elemental damage is worthless without penetration. A mandatory gem.

(20/20) Spell totem: self-casting Frost Wall is VERY difficult. Totems do this job far better then you. And they might get a small 2.0 buff maybe.

(20/20) Faster casting: MORE walls, how can this be wrong?

(20/20) Added chaos damage: you'll see I have all spell damage nodes in the tree so this will add a nice amount of damage.

=> yes that's a 6-link. But as this build is ubersafe with all the walls puhing enemies away and blocking projectiles, you can probably run around with a Tabula into end-game.

Herald of Thunder: Mandatory.

Wrath: Mandatory.

The tree:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAsZAtqNtZt9aDCZDWIcP5ZVfhCGfYTdpilKD56Gh02L3-Crc-QYdN4_6PNZI64aZX8kV7IP6HEMzGrviTU6UMXxynmuDr7ij6gsdTUkWdJNiFbdWB0f2nlLiTg9sEBx8CNsXYJKcIOlhVxnYR5OwyNESrVa4snBBY37CCEI-mG_Hli52ufsc26Rps42oWbySq7TzVpuQigpuaO5BVJy_sOBo4ogDhc8BmBLPAmgmq2fz53YuMQ8hboKdVfA5o8vAfKhNY5WaewBqj8lor

This tree has ALL spell damage nodes that exist and some totem nodes. Hence, the added chaos will be boosted a lot.

The defensive system consists of a decent life pool with a decent regen. Largely sufficient for a build that is mechanically already so incredibly defensive.

The gear:

That new Doryani glove is mandatory. But I'm VERY afraid of the price because everybody will want to try it out. Let's hope it sucks for most builds ;-)

A Tabula like I mentioned. If you're rich a nice 6-link, probably ES-based because you'll need 5 blue sockets. If you are REALLY rich a +1 to gems blue to boost added lightning and added chaos.

And unarmed means we can still have a shield. A simple and cheap Rathpith Globe might do very well.

The phylosophy:

- Solo Hardcore viable
- Allows for lazy play
- Never die
- Annoy party members
- Be unique
- PvP-fun ?
- Don't jump on the DPS/Clearing speed train

=> FEEDBACK IS MORE THEN WELCOME (and yes, I know there are more effective, better, more powerful builds then this, this is for FUN)
Last edited by Soepkieken on Jun 11, 2015, 5:22:01 AM
Sounds fun! Not sure how fast the totem will cast the walls and if it feels fast enough, but we`ll see :D

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABt9bbWS2ovoCxkIMJCGdX4fllIcOQ1thNlKDaYmh0GFb56EGHtz7-Cti9NZL-j03j8kU64aZXg8w8LYNfxq4QzP6HeyD4kwxfGNdTpYLHKPq4kxzcjxrr7prgRZ1TUoUyfIOnlF5d0f0RLSycEFh2EeTsVa5Eq4-mghDfsDI0HwIEB4PbVcY6WOvkXyqdruWLG_F-xxpsNukkqhZv42pmnljlwxNaK6PyKhO3MYx25CIpT9Wm7TxXlJ48gpuaO-FzogAEs8Bm8B9o8u0g2fwJqsCai4z53XwOp1VboEPITwSnCA==

The 2.0 tree (just a quick draft) will provide you with even more damage since you`ll be able to get 4 additional jewel slots with just 4 skill points. Ive seen some nice jewels that will boost your defense and offense with a great skillpoint / effect ratio, e.g. jewels with 8% life, 8% totem damage and 10+% spell damage.

But to be honest I think this would work better on a witch :) something like this (again only a quick draft):

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEI-mRKtVriyc34oQWHYR5OwyNB8CBAeD21XGOljr5F8qrJgRD36vjRngEtlf3Yy1he9QwbQtfREtfIOnlF5d0f3r7oUyHNy4kyj6gsf56I8aQYe3Pv4K2L3aOoGvuNCxBTLRRUfAZgSzogDwH2jy4XPtIIKbmjvtPNWmV5QpT548jHa3MWaeWOXDE1oro_IqE-w4OtgnL5BVGjjyRTrhplc1kv6PTeNXyQ18TC0UsIIe2wtMsy0fHU81uacrEVBtGQj0wFRqQ7zqhXtmVNn8CarAmouM-d07De_r
wasn't there a 5 second CD on frostwall, or at least they intend to make one, pretty sure
IGN: WildTortillaFart
"
Chronodroid wrote:
wasn't there a 5 second CD on frostwall, or at least they intend to make one, pretty sure

Yes. There is a 5 second cd for 3 uses (just like traps).
Id wait to see the new damage effectiveness on spells before making builds like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info