[1.3] Damn! She's Stunning (Perma-Stun) - Budget 2H Mace Ground Slam Scion

Hey guys! I'm Spicy__candy. Welcome to my 2H Perma-Stun Ground Slam guide.

Updates
6/27/2015: Added Academy Map running video when using Marohi Erqi
6/28/2015: Added Apex of Sacrifice Atziri running vieo

First of all, you might wanna check out the following videos to see how well this build works against bosses.

Videos (Highly Recommended to Watch)
77 Maze: https://youtu.be/vvZw2skTTCc
78 Palace: https://youtu.be/6KH8AkeI_Oc
76 Academy: https://youtu.be/WFIwFGjur90
Apex of Sacrifice Atziri (1 death): http://youtu.be/pxIFqJRyuGI

More to be added.

As you can see, the bosses were stunned throughout the fights, and all I am using are
OR simply

I will go into details in the gear selection section later.

How Perma-Stun Works
"The chance to stun is based off the damage done in a single hit compared to the target's maximum life."

And the following formula can be used to calculate the chance to stun:

"stun_chance (%) = 200 * damage / defender_effective_max_life"

Note that the damage issued in the formula is the damage taken from a single hit instead of the tooltip DPS, which takes attacks per second and crit chance (not in our case) into consideration.

The value of "defender_effective_max_life" in the formula can be reduced by "Reduced stun threshold modifiers", which can be obtained from the passive tree as well as gears.

Therefore, if we want to increase the chance to stun an enemy (either mobs or players), the best thing we can do is to maximize the damage from each hit from your attacks.

In other words, we prefer "hit once, hit harder" over "hit more, hit softer".

A simple example (Updated)
Assume the "defender_effective_max_life" of a mob is 1000000.

Case 1
Assume you attack 3 times per second, dealing 500 damage each hit, the tooltip DPS will be 1500, and the chance to stun is 200 * 500 / 1000000 = 10%.

Case 2
Assume you attack 6 times per second, dealing 250 damage each hit, the tooltip DPS will also be 1500, and the chance to stun is 200 * 250 / 1000000 = 5%.

With the same resultant DPS, the case where you hit harder but hit less apparently has a greater chance to stun the enemy.

Updated Stun Chance Calculation (June 13th)
Special thanks to Pi2rEpsilon for pointing out my mistakes and here is the correction
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:

Ignoring for a moment that you need to choose an example where the resulting chance to stun is >=20%, since 20% is the minimum required chance to stun, you happen to be right in your conclusion, but you are not showing the right numbers to prove it. You are looking at the chance to stun per individual attack, which is fine so far as it goes, but when one case has 3 attacks per second and the other 6, what is important to the player comparing the two cases is how many stuns he gets per any given interval, not how many stuns he gets per attack.

So if we take a look at your example (ignoring still that both cases gives results below 20% and are thus in practice invalid):

Case1: 10% chance to stun on any attack. Thus in one second, your chance to stun at least once with your 3 attacks is 1-(1-0.1)^3 = 27.1%

Case2: 5% chance to stun on any attack. Thus in one second, your chance to stun at least once with your 6 attacks is 1-(1-0.05)^6 = 26.5%

So since 27.1% > 26.5% you are right that your example leads to Case1 being better due to a higher chance of a single stun, but they are pretty darn close and if this was the only consideration one might easily conclude that Case2 was the better in practice due to smoothing out the risk of occasional longer intervals without stuns.

Now, in practice, this is irrelevant. THE big reason for preferring big hits in a stun build regardless of number of attacks is simple - it allows you to beat the minimum required 20% stun chance against monsters with high health. The more one goes for more but individually weaker attacks per second, the more monsters it will be impossible to stun.

By having high average damage per hit and reduced "defender_effective_max_life" (prioritized), along with high attack speed, Perma-Stun can be achieved.

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stun

Bandits
Normal: Oak
Cruel: Oak/Passive
Merciless: Passive

Gearing

Minimum Budget: ~2ex
Spoiler
Marohi Eeqi ~10c
Tabula Rasa ~1ex
Doryani's Invitation (Phys) ~15c
Rest gears ~5c each

Weapon

As I mentioned before, we look for high average damage per hit from our weapon.

From my own experience, a mace with 340 minimum damage can stun most bosses, including Palace Dominus. However, Dominus might get out of stun when you land a few hits in a row with the minimum damage.

Good luck finding a nice mace.

You can use this link: http://poe.trade/search/osaniaseagoham

A cheap unique can do all the work for you as well.

You can use the following link to find this mace: http://poe.trade/search/hituyusaekimot

Chest Armor

Yes you are right. I am using a Tabula Rasa as my chest armor. It indeed provides 0 defensive benifits, but as long as I have my Ground Slam gem 6-linked, I am safe from most mobs.

Any 6L chest would work for this build as long as the socket colors match the gems.

However, if you are rich enough unlike poor players such as me, you can try to get the 6-link from your weapon. In that case, you can basically use whatever you want as your chest armor.

My suggestion is to try

or even its legacy version (you probably wouldn't be reading this guide if you have one.. xD)

The amount of HP it provides is insane although we don't have too many life nodes from the tree.

Other Gears
The weapon and armor will do all the damage, and we will be looking for defensive stats from other gears.

Also, note that we will need 109 Dexterity and Intelligence for the lv20 gems we are using (namely Hatred, Faster Attacks, Increased Area of Effect, and Concentrated Effect)

We can grab these stats from either the tree or other parts of the gears.

In terms of the defensive stats we are looking for, I'd say just try to stack your HP and cap your resistances (including Chaos Resistance). Armour isn't that important because Immortal Call will block most of the incoming physical damage.

Helmet
There is nothing special we can get from helmets so just go for HP and resistances here.

Gloves
Try to get a bit of attack speed as well as some life/mana leech here.

Boots
Some movement speed would be nice (Optional).

Belt
In addition to HP and resistances, we can try to get a bit of Reduced Stun Threshold, Increased Stun Duration and Increased Weapon Elemental Damage modifiers.

I recommend a cheap unique belt here.

It provides decent resistances as well as 25% Reduced Stun Threshold when you have a flask on (i.e. when you pop a utility flask that lasts 5 seconds, you gain an additional 25% Reduced Stun Threshold for 5 seconds too)

Jewelry
We can grab most required basic stats from the amulet and the rings. HP, resistances, life/mana leech are the other stuff we are looking for.

I also recommend a unique ring here.

It boosts our damage like an Atziri flask and provides quite a lot of Chaos Resistance as well.

Flasks
All we need are some life flasks and 1 or 2 Atziri's Promise (for DPS boost). Bringing flasks that remove bleeding and dispel frozen will make your farming even safer.

Gems and Links
Groud Slam (6L)
Clearing Mobs:
Ground Slam + Melee Physical Damage + Multistrike + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun + Added Fire Damage + Increased Area of Effect

Boss Fights:
Swap Added Fire Damage and Increased Area of Effect with Stun and Concentrated Effect

Auras (3L)
Reduced Mana + Herald of Ash + Hatred

Herald of Ash and Hatred will boost the damage output by a lot.
Their effects will be more significant if you have increased weapon elemental damage modifiers from your gears.

Immortal Call (4L)
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Enhance

Gap-close (2L)
Leap Slam + Faster Attacks
Faster Attacks is totally optional if you are fine with low attack speed on Leap Slam.

Curse + Endurance Charge (4L)
Cast When Damage Taken + Warlord's Mark + Enduring Cry + Increased Area of Effect

Linking the curse to a lv1 CWDT allows you to automatically curse mobs when you take a little bit of damage.

Enduring Cry and Increased Area of Effect are actually optional in normal mapping but will become quite crucial when doing stun-immu maps.

Updated (June 13th)
Special thanks to Ceratoidei to mention this:
Running Blood Rage can help increase our DPS (by having frenzy charges) and therefore I recommend having Blood Rage somewhere in socket

My Gears

My Stats
Offense
No Charges/Flask

With Flask (No Charge)

With 3 Frenzy Charges (No Flask)

Defense
To be added...

Map Mod Strategy
Blood Magic: Turn off auras

Elemental Reflect: Swap Added Fire Damage with Life Leech

Physical Reflect: No problem

Cursed with Enfeeble: We will have a hard time against Palace Dominus but it's still doable if we are careful enough

Cursed with Temporal Chains: Reroll it.

Stun-Immu: Swap Endurance Charge on Melee Stun with Life Leech. You wouldn't be expecting any stun in this case of course, and my suggestion is to simply reroll the map: why would we want to fight something that cannot be stunned when the build is designed to stun?

Chilled Ground: Be careful to not stand on ices. (Suggest to reroll)

Pros
- Beginner friendly

- Cheap (remember the 2ex budget)

- Safe (everything's stunned and won't be able to hit you)

- Parties love you (you stun everything)

Cons
- It can be hard to do stun-immu maps

- You might find it boring to press one button all the time

- Relatively lower DPS when compared with those pew-pew-pew builds

Thanks for reading!

Good luck, have fun!

Last edited by Spicy__candy on Jun 28, 2015, 1:59:51 PM
Reserved
"

Assume the "defender_effective_max_life" of a mob is 1000000.

Case 1
Assume you attack 3 times per second, dealing 500 damage each hit, the tooltip DPS will be 1500, and the chance to stun is 200 * 500 / 1000000 = 10%.

Case 2
Assume you attack 6 times per second, dealing 250 damage each hit, the tooltip DPS will also be 1500, and the chance to stun is 200 * 250 / 1000000 = 5%.

With the same resultant DPS, the case where you hit harder but hit less apparently has a greater chance to stun the enemy.

Ignoring for a moment that you need to choose an example where the resulting chance to stun is >=20%, since 20% is the minimum required chance to stun, you happen to be right in your conclusion, but you are not showing the right numbers to prove it. You are looking at the chance to stun per individual attack, which is fine so far as it goes, but when one case has 3 attacks per second and the other 6, what is important to the player comparing the two cases is how many stuns he gets per any given interval, not how many stuns he gets per attack.

So if we take a look at your example (ignoring still that both cases gives results below 20% and are thus in practice invalid):

Case1: 10% chance to stun on any attack. Thus in one second, your chance to stun at least once with your 3 attacks is 1-(1-0.1)^3 = 27.1%

Case2: 5% chance to stun on any attack. Thus in one second, your chance to stun at least once with your 6 attacks is 1-(1-0.05)^6 = 26.5%

So since 27.1% > 26.5% you are right that your example leads to Case1 being better due to a higher chance of a single stun, but they are pretty darn close and if this was the only consideration one might easily conclude that Case2 was the better in practice due to smoothing out the risk of occasional longer intervals without stuns.

Now, in practice, this is irrelevant. THE big reason for preferring big hits in a stun build regardless of number of attacks is simple - it allows you to beat the minimum required 20% stun chance against monsters with high health. The more one goes for more but individually weaker attacks per second, the more monsters it will be impossible to stun.

So I'd suggest you focus on that in your explanation instead. :)
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Jun 10, 2015, 10:30:09 AM
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:

So I'd suggest you focus on that in your explanation instead. :)

Thank you so much for pointing this out. Would you mind if I simply quote what you wrote in the explanation part?
that mace is pretty BiS, therefore "cheap" isn't realistic and I would change the Gem-Setup

Skill-Tree: instead of Wrecking Ball you should get Martial Expierence

Get some Chaos Resistance, run Blood Rage for more leech... Crit Groundslam still looks tankier
"
Ceratoidei wrote:
that mace is pretty BiS, therefore "cheap" isn't realistic and I would change the Gem-Setup

Skill-Tree: instead of Wrecking Ball you should get Martial Experience

Get some Chaos Resistance, run Blood Rage for more leech... Crit Groundslam still looks tankier

Hi.
First of all, thanks for reading this guide.

I got a few things to say here.

1. In terms of the price of the mace, you would have noticed that a Marohi Erqi (which is worth approximately 10 ~ 20c) would be enough to stun most bosses. Even the mace that I am currently using does not cost insanely much. I got this mace for 10ex a few months ago.

2. I will need 3 points in order to get Martial Experience. From that I will have the following stats
Stats from grabbing Martial Experience
34% Increased Physical Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons
4% Increased Attack Speed with Two Handed Melee Weapons
18% Increased Accuracy Rating with Two Handed Melee Weapons
10% Increased Stun Duration with Two Handed Melee Weapons

I will need 3 points for Wrecking Ball as well. From that I will have the following stats
Stats from grabbing Wrecking Ball
20% Increased Physical Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons
18% Increased Attack Speed with Two Handed Melee Weapons

This build does not benefit anything from accuracy rating. The only helpful part from Martial Experience is the 10% Increased Stun Duration and 14% more Physical Damage whereas Wrecking Ball gives 14% more attack speed. If you have ever built a melee character and got into end game, you would know that 14% attack speed gives you way more DPS than 14% physical damage.

However, if you really want the 10% Increased Stun Duration, go for it. It's your character and you can do whatever you want.

3. I do not understand where the crit GS part comes from. The whole point of this build is to utilize RT and the reduced stun threshold/increased stun duration for 2H maces from the passive tree so that we do not have to worry about the accuracy (which could be quite expensive to stack while trying to maximize other defensive stats.

You probably get the idea of crit ground slam from some other dual-wielding builds where you have a 1H mace for GS and a soultaker offhand, which significantly increases the cost of this build.
You can use the following link to check the lowest price of a Soul Taker (7ex for a non-legacy one as of June 13th, 2015)
Soul Taker poe.trade price check (click on the currency to sort the items by price)
http://poe.trade/search/ahikekedunosas

4. Could you please explain what you meant by "tankier"? I have approximately 5000 effective HP when wearing Ming's Heart (which reduces 15% HP) and I have Endurance Charge on Melee Stun linked with my Ground Slam, which ensures full endurance charges all the time when mobs are stunnable. Level 1 CWDT with Immortal Call just makes my character immu to physical damage all the time.

I have all elemental resistances capped and -6% as my chaos resistance. If you watched my boss fight videos, you will be able to imagine how mobs that deal chaos damage will be stunned (LIKE ALL OTHER MOBS) and will die fairly quickly (LIKE ALL OTHER MOBS). If there are some poison clouds or desecrated ground (the latter doesn't hurt at all but I am mentioning here just in case you think I forgot about it) that deals DoT, I guess you are smart enough to walk out of it or pop an Atziri's Promise (gives you 35% Chaos Resistance).

I will upload videos of full clears soon.

I already have enough leech to deal with almost everything, the leech from blood rage is just unnecessary. However, 3 Frenzy Charges increase my DPS by 4200 and that is really nice.

So I would say having Blood Rage somewhere on your gears is a good idea.
Thanks for mentioning this and I am adding it into the guide. :3

This is the very first build that I wrote so I really appreciate all comments and responses.

Look at the length of this reply and maybe you can imagine how much effort I put there.

Please do respond. (sending you an PM)
Last edited by Spicy__candy on Jun 13, 2015, 1:41:23 AM
1. Yeah, in that case take a video with Mahori

2. With such a slow weapon you almost don't benefit from ias + Stun is calculated by One-Hit DPS, so more Phys% is preferred, even it your raw dps number woudl go down a bit

3. Those nodes can be taken from 1H Mace as well and can be started with cheap budget as well

4. You have no Defense Layer besides Stun, even a 2H Cyclone has Movement + High Leech

Leech-Cap is 25% of your Life-Pool per second so 1000k life/s at max
you're doing 23k phys dps and have 2% leech, so you're at 460life/s
as we assume that we might hit not with all of our 3,9aps we're interested in overcapping leech, therefore 13% ll of blood rage is really welcome

5k effective HP is in one/two shot range without another defense layer, which you don't have, with a build like this I would aim 7k as a 2h build
Nice Build, thanks for the information. Good Perma Stunna for starters!
Interesting build.
I read about another perma-stun build else where but that guy was using Dry Woods boss for the demo..
But you managed to stunlock Palace Dominus!
Impressive!

Edit: Found the video
Last edited by PrincipleL on Jun 27, 2015, 2:14:52 PM
Oooooooooooooo dat stun doe

BUMP! :)

Well done!
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info