Point Blank + Traps/Tornado Shot?

So I'm making a DoT trapper shadow with a bow, and I've had some little intricacies pop up that I'd like clarified.

How does the Point Blank node/gem interact with bow skills made into traps, and with Tornado Shot?

I'm fairly certain that the calculation for damage increase/decrease has to do with the distance the projectile travels from its origin point, and as far as I can tell bow skills made into traps pretty much always get max or close to max damage bonus from Point Blank (since the arrow originates from the trap they have to step on to activate).

I'm more curious as to its interaction with Tornado Shot (used normally; not as a trap). I can see several different ways it might work:

1) the damage for the initial projectile for Tornado Shot is increased/decrased based on where the target is hit, then the secondary projectiles fire out and do max damage + the Point Blank bonus at their origin point (so the projectile explosion is essentially treated as its own attack independent from the initial projectile and with its own origin point).

2) the damage for the initial projectile for Tornado Shot is increased/decrased based on where the target is hit, and the secondary projectiles' base damage is reduced by the initial projectile's travel duration, but they still get the point blank bonus based on their origin point (so if you shoot Tornado Shot out to a distance that the initial projectile takes -25% damage, then the projectiles at the origin point will have their base damage reduced by -25%, but will get the +50% bonus at their origin point as normal).

3) the damage for the initial projectile for Tornado Shot is increased/decrased based on where the target is hit, and the secondary projectiles' base damage is reduced by the initial projectile's travel duration, but they don't get Point Blank's bonus from their origin point; i.e. it's all calculated based on the initial projectile.

Which one of these is right? Or are they all wrong and there's something I missed? I've looked online and can't seem to get a straight answer.

All help is appreciated!
Last edited by TheMongrel on May 19, 2015, 11:35:03 PM
Point Blank works with traps as you said - the trap serves as the basis of origin. the secondary projectiles are treated like projectiles from chain or fork, as far as i know - the secondary projectiles is considered to have the same origin as the original projectile, and thus is more likely to be negatively affected by PB.

I think that's number 2 in the cases you presented, but I'm having a hard time digesting any kind of written paragraph at the moment, including mine. :P

Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
Damage of main projectile will drop off to the split point and then continue dropping for all spawned projectiles relative to the distance each covered from the point of origin. Basically, you just think of it as the same projectile.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
Damage of main projectile will drop off to the split point and then continue dropping for all spawned projectiles relative to the distance each covered from the point of origin. Basically, you just think of it as the same projectile.

Thanks for the clarification. Might you have a source for this info?
"
TheMongrel wrote:
"
raics wrote:

Easy way to test: attack from outside a mob's proximity shield, but such that a chained/split/tornado'd/whatever projectile would be produced inside the shield. You will notice the spawned things do no damage: their point of origin is the same as the original attack, which was outside the shield.
"
TheMongrel wrote:
"
raics wrote:

You got the source on wiki for interaction of point blank and fork/chain, it was clarified on introduction of TS that it behaves in the same way.

There was a rework of the point blank damage calculation a fairly long time ago because it used to do what you described at 1 so I remember it well.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info