Constant Latency Spiking

Hi All,

Recently loaded up latest beta build with lockstep, which is great, and was working fine with hardly any issues with latency. However, after a few hours I have had to switch back to predictive because of the latency spikes, which are very, very noticeable in lockstep (think fps spikes down to sub 5 every second or so).

What I would like to know / discuss is whether anyone has some troubleshooting tips to ascertain where it is coming from or how to minimise it. Steps I have tried so far:

- consulted the sticky and ran a WinMTR, which yielded a 2% packet loss after about 5 minutes to the gateway I use (Australia). It was only two packets near the beginning from what I can tell.

- Ran a pingplotter to the same gateway address. Screenshot

I have editted out the main IP as per instructions on sticky.

- I have applied Leatrix Latency fix from old wow days (hey who knows, it does some funky stuff with TCP/IP connections, figured wouldn't hurt).

- I have closed down all other program on the PC, restarted PC, restarted router, ensured no other activity on router and set priority to this PC in router settings.

- The PC is cat6 connected to router, running NBN with line speed of 100/40 Mbps through Internode.

- I have flushed the DNS.

Running out of ideas here, hoping someone with more technical knowledge or experience dealing with latency spikes could drop a line.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Ok so I followed an example in a D3 thread that suggested to do a regedit and add in TCPNoDelay, which has reduced the frequency of the packet loss, approx once every 10 seconds or so, which is better than what it was. For anyone interested: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578595314

This is while sitting in town. Lockstep still not playable due to packet lose increase exponential as soon as moving around, but sitting in town it settles down. Just going to have to stick to predictive for time being.
Last edited by Lyvewyrez on May 19, 2015, 7:43:14 AM
Firstly, you edited WAY too much from your ping plotter.

Secondly, it didn't capture anything useful as it shows 100% loss until the destination. We need to see the hops in the middle.

Post a winmtr and there's no real need to edit it. If you're that concerned, you can remove city names, but don't delete the whole line.

From the sounds of it though, your issue is with your local network equipment or the ISP though... if you're getting packet loss within the first couple hops.
Interesting, the only thing I edited was my IP Address next to the green circled 1.

And I've ran ping plotter twice and this is how it is showing it. I'll post edit a winMTR in shortly.
I have a similar issue with my wifi connection. constant 32ms latency except, every 18 second on the second a lag spike will bring the latency up to 180-200 for 2 second then drop back down. It's almost perfectly every 18 second, I even timed each spike interval with a stop watch.
Create your own thread and provide a winmtr report.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info