Graphic stutters (FPS spikes) and what to do to reduce it?

Hi GGG,

currently I am experiencing graphic stutters especially on the following scenario:

1. Opening strongbox
2. Rare monsters apparition
3. Corpses detonating

I've realized that the stutter happens when there are lots of things happening on the screen. Here's my PC spec:

Processor: Core i7 930 @ 2.93Ghz
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Graphics: Radeon HD7850 2GB
PoE installed on: Plextor M5 128GB
PoE Resolution: 2560x1440

As for settings, it's all max except for anisotropic filtering which I leave at 2x and IINM VSync is turned off but Post-Processing is turned on, and I'm running on Full Screen.

Is it because of my hardware that I am bound to get stutters at these settings? If yes, which option should I reduce to minimize the stutters?

Will I get an improvement on the stutters if I upgrade to Radeon R9 290X?
CoC is dead, goodbye DPS hello FPS - September 2nd, 2016.
Life is in the past, use your Energy Shield instead - January 11th, 2017.
All you need is some ES whooping and you'll have your Life back - May 24th, 2017.

IGN: InfernalEnvy | Lv.100 Righteous Fire Juggernaut
Doubt there is much else you can do to stop it, it's prety much caaused by loading stuff from the HDD to ram. you might see a slight improvment with a new GFX card but i don't think it would eliminate it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Doubt there is much else you can do to stop it, it's prety much caaused by loading stuff from the HDD to ram. you might see a slight improvment with a new GFX card but i don't think it would eliminate it.

the sad thing is I am even using SSD and I still get these stutters. Unless those loading is more than 200MB per second it shouldnt be an issue hmm..
All you need is some ES whooping and you'll have your Life back - May 24th, 2017.

Upgrading to a r9 290x wont help at all. I die it Myself, 6950 to r9 290x oc. The game is simply poorly programmed. Im using a very good rig (Trust me its enough to run Star citizen or Crysis 3 ob Ultra) and still get retarded fps drops randomly.
Last edited by aceCrasher on May 16, 2015, 3:44:07 AM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Not every performance problem is caused by loading data from the HDD! It's hardly the case.

PoE is badly optimized for AMD and they didn't want to work with GGG to make it better. I'm afraid there's not much you can do. If you ever plan to upgrade, you should take Nvidia if PoE is important to you.
"
darkmatch wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Not every performance problem is caused by loading data from the HDD! It's hardly the case.

The only one he listed that dosent require some loading was the corpse detonation, it's probably due to the effects and that is being fixed a bit in 2.0 when the effects won't play multiple times.

And it has nothing to do with amd, i've seen threads with people using titan gfx cards still having problems.

I think people expect to much when they spout optomization, would any other mmo game manage to display as much as PoE dose without the same or worse problems...i know they can't, PoE dose prety well considering.(wow, tera, swtor even with sliders out the wazoo)

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
darkmatch wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

The only one he listed that dosent require some loading was the corpse detonation, it's probably due to the effects and that is being fixed a bit in 2.0 when the effects won't play multiple times.

And it has nothing to do with amd, i've seen threads with people using titan gfx cards still having problems.

I think people expect to much when they spout optomization, would any other mmo game manage to display as much as PoE dose without the same or worse problems...i know they can't, PoE dose prety well considering.(wow, tera, swtor even with sliders out the wazoo)

It has something to do with AMD, GGG even stated that. And the loading is not the serious bottleneck, the video card is. There is no point in recommending people to buy a SSD if the problem is clearly the graphics card. As stated above, he even has a SSD, which shouldn't be the cause then.

I measured how much PoE loads from the storage drive, and it's most time not that much, except for strongboxes. Yes, I also tested some effects.

GTX Titans are no good graphic cards btw., their clock is very low in comparism to a GTX 780ti (same architecture and shaders amount) as example. I'm not talking about a Titan X (Maxwell) here.
Last edited by darkmatch on May 16, 2015, 6:26:29 AM
Well that helped a little knowing my PC isn't the main cause for those stutters. I just find it weird that I could play GTAIV with decent settings while I can get FPS spikes in PoE.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

You can't compare games like that.

GTA and PoE use completely different engines, they're completely different developers, etc. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruits, but that's where the comparison stops.

Not to mention that GTA is developed by a AAA studio with multi-millions of dollars at their disposal. GGG is an indie developer with a much smaller budget who designed and wrote their own engine.

Not only are they not comparable, but it's a little rude to even attempt to compare them like that (I know that wasn't your intention, so I'm enlightening you).

Imagine you started a company to build your own car, but you only had a few thousand dollars and had to build all the parts yourself. Now how would you feel to have your car (which is your pride and joy that you put years of blood, sweat, and tears into) compared to a Ferrari, only they were saying all the ways the Ferrari were better?

So please, in the future, refrain from comparing things which aren't comparable. Just because they're both games you play does not mean they actually have anything else in common.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info