i don't understand this mechanic: physical reflect+shocking ground

why in a physical reflect map + shocking ground, the reflected damage it's like 3 or 4 times more than a physical reflect map withouth shocking ground? ( my damage it's like 25% physical and 75% fire/lightning )

shouldn't shocking ground increase the reflected lightning damage? in a physical reflect map, only physical damage should be reflected, no?

when i played till december, this mix wasn't really dangerous, but now is lethal, easy rip if i am shocked
Last edited by InAshesTheyShallReap on Apr 26, 2015, 4:45:21 AM
Being shocked (either via shocking ground or lightning damage) increases ALL damage taken by 50%. But phys dmg vs armor has a weird scaling formula, basically the stronger the hit you receive the less effective is your armor. So if you play a phys + armor based character in a phys reflect + shock map, you're in for a treat.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

"WE'VE BEEN CAREFUL WHEN DESIGNING THE GAME SO THERE'S NO PAYING FOR GAME CONTENT OR ADVANTAGE IN THE GAME", he explained. "WE'VE PURPOSEFULLY DIVORCED ANY GAME MECHANICS FROM THE MONETIZATION."
"
Cadumal wrote:
Being shocked (either via shocking ground or lightning damage) increases ALL damage taken by 50%. But phys dmg vs armor has a weird scaling formula, basically the stronger the hit you receive the less effective is your armor. So if you play a phys + armor based character in a phys reflect + shock map, you're in for a treat.

ok thanks, so shock increases all the damage reflected and the damage i take from mobs, ty
Last edited by InAshesTheyShallReap on Apr 26, 2015, 4:57:24 AM
"
Cadumal wrote:
But phys dmg vs armor has a weird scaling formula, basically the stronger the hit you receive the less effective is your armor. So if you play a phys + armor based character in a phys reflect + shock map, you're in for a treat.

No, shock modifies the amount of damage taken, which takes place after armor calculation, shock doesn't affect armor build more than it does others.

However, playing in a 'monsters deal % increased damage' will make the armor formula less effective.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
No, shock modifies the amount of damage taken, which takes place after armor calculation, shock doesn't affect armor build more than it does others.

Depends on which end is Shocked ;) If the enemy is Shocked, you receive a larger Reflect hit to tank. If the character is Shocked, Armour doesn't care.
If both are Shocked, shit has hit the fan.
Yeah, I probably should have written 'getting shocked' :)
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
If the monster is shocked when he receives the hit, the reflect is increased by 50% because you deal 50% More damage. Then if you are shocked too, you take 50% of this total damage.

original damage *1.5, you take the 18% (or whatever the % reflect is) of this damage, reduced by armor/accuracy/eva/dodge/block/resistance , then you take +50% (150%)

shocked path + reflect maps are extremely dangerous, but some monsters can shock too.

Thoses mechanics create a HUGE damage spike and sometimes we cannot expect them and therefore avoid them.

example

My character has 12K average damage per strike with multistrike, he can shock and crit for 20% and also he uses 90% of elemental damage (i round it at 100% for easier calculation) with 40 dodge 40% eva and 75% resistances wuth a crit mult of 200% (not +200!%, an increase of +100% of the original hit). With around 2000 accuracy (85% chance to hit). Also it's attack speed is 10 attacks per second.

This char uses elemental weakness on hit lvl 12, = 30% monster resistance lowered.

In this scenario, the monster resistance is 50%, so he will have 20% and reduce incoming damage by this amount.

Monster has elemental reflect 18% and is shocked plus cursed : 50% more damage a total of 20% resistance
i'm shocked : 50% more damage

I crit and hit the monster and do not eva/block/dodge elemental reflect :

12 000 * 2 (crit)= 24 000 per strike reduced by 20% (monster resistance) = 19 200 * 1.5 (shock) = 28 800.

reflect will deal 18% of 28 800 : 5184, reduced by my resistance 75% : 1296 then increased by the shocked status on my character : 1944 with one strike.

Because multi strike has one calculation of the critical strike pourcentage for the 3 hits my 3 hits are critical strikes and if i dont dodge/block/eva them, i take 1944*3 = 5832 with ONE attack ( multi strike does 3 hits with one attack)

with 10 aps, i take 5832 damage in 0.3 second.

So in this scenario... i need atleast 6000 life to not die when i'm unlucky. Less hp is needed with life leech and life regen but it becomes difficult to calculate the efficiency of hp/s / life leech rate on 0.3 second.

.... 6000 fuckin hp!! ... shocked & cursed monster + reflect + shocked character = the chance to kill yourself with one attack is huge.

Sometimes the maps have reflect but the monsters TOO and it stacks, enjoy the wipe.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Apr 26, 2015, 12:20:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info