Just started. Looking for a cheap build but totally overwhelmed when reading guides.

Just started playing and am really digging PoE so far. Just rolled a duelist (also have a level 45 ranger) and am looking for a cheap and effective endgame build. I've browsed the guide list but to be honest, I'm so overwhelmed with all the information. Being completely new (I did play a lot of D2 and D3 though so I'm not new to ARPGs), I don't know what most spells/skills/items do and what builds would fit my criteria. I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I would prefer not to use Cyclone if possible. I've played a lot of WW barbs in D2/D3 so that mechanic seems a bit boring. I like the quick/agile aspect of the duelist so I'd prefer a build that highlights that. Any help? What would you guys recommend?

My duelist is currently level 11. I haven't used any passive skill points yet (didn't want to waste any).
I recommend playing as a high attach speed dual wielding "blender" build or for a more defensive style a "Lazy pally" which revolves around blocking enemies and is flexible in attack skill choice. Find their passive skill tree in the forums. The duelist has easy access to many attack speed nodes and block nodes in the passive skill tree so you may want to capitalize on that, and equipment can be easily crafted. Follow skill tree guide and if you find difficulty surviving adjust you skill point allocation to defensive stats (life, regen, block, resist) or if your having a hard time killing go for the offensive nodes (attack speed, damage).

On higher difficulty (cruel, insane) its very important to max your elemental resistance but while you are in the normal difficulty do not be afraid to experiment on your character. You can follow guides but the real fun in the game is to create a character you can call your own.

Do not be afraid on experimenting and making mistakes (a full passive reset comes every expansion or so!) and also try new characters builds.
Had a friend who started out and was also overwhelmed by the game, so much so that he quit citing the complexity as the reason.

Since you are new, I would suggest you look at a few of the guides listed in the Duelist forum and decide on one to base your character on. The most important thing is that as someone who is starting fresh, you won't have currency to buy high end equipment, therefore getting a guide without costly end game equipment is pretty essential.

eg The Frozen Orb Duelist

Please note that I'm not in any way endorsing the above guide but citing it as an example since it uses only 2 required items which are relatively easy to obtain.

Other useful advice would be to learn some basic vendor recipes like using a rustic sash to create a good leveling physical bow. Also learn how to trade using poe.trade.

Finally, welcome to the game and good luck!
I would recommend fiqst's Vulcanus build. It may seem expensive, but it's essentials are rather simple. All you need are a couple of crit weapons and you can do a shit ton of dps on a 4l. The best thing is as your gear continues to improve, the power of the build will begin to scale dramatically. Because that's just what it is, a generic dual wield melee build, one compatible with all weapon types. I believe there is a budget version outlined in the guide.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
I strongly recommend Korgoth's 2H Flicker Strike build: it is cheap and easy to play, but strong and fun at the same time. Here is the link: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/528011
Last edited by lussiano on Apr 25, 2015, 1:38:47 PM
I won't give any build recommendations as I usually make my own build, but I will give some advice as to what type of builds to pick.

First of all, if you can, narrow down the type of skills you plan on using. Do you want to use fire to burn stuff, or lightning to shock and offscreen packs? Physical for great life leech? Do you want to perma-stun or perma-freeze bosses?

Second, do yourself a favor, and make sure any build you plan on using has little or no gear requirements. For some reason, people love posting builds that do 5 million+ DPS, but rely on broken, legacy, or extremely over-priced uniques.

Some helpful links:

https://poebuilder.com/ - For fine-tuning builds

http://poe.trade/ - For doing price checks on stuff BEFORE you get started

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info