Beginner's doubt about End Game

I am a beginner in POE and I was hoping the experienced people here could tell me about the end game.

1. From what I've known so far, you beat the game in normal mode to unlock cruel. Beat the game in cruel to unlock Merciless. And after beating it in merciless, maps are unlocked.- So I have to do the same quests and play the same game 3 times over? - Or am I misunderstanding it?

2. Where does Act 4 fit into all this?

3. After unlocking maps, what else will be left to do other than clearing maps and level'ing up? Does the game have a "end" per se?

4. So basically, is it doing all quests 3 times over, reaching a certain level. Then creating a new character and repeating the whole thing again?

Bonus - If possible, I would also like to know what Hardcore and Torment/Bloodlines are and how they fit into this.

I am really enjoying this game so far but I would like to know where I am headed to, just to be clear. I feel like I haven't understood a lot of it yet. Hope you can help.

P.S - Yes, I googled. No, I didn't get proper answers owing to the numerous other topics with similar headings.
Free Atziri Service - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1458846
"
Le_Sanzo wrote:
I am a beginner in POE and I was hoping the experienced people here could tell me about the end game.

1. From what I've known so far, you beat the game in normal mode to unlock cruel. Beat the game in cruel to unlock Merciless. And after beating it in merciless, maps are unlocked.- So I have to do the same quests and play the same game 3 times over? - Or am I misunderstanding it?

2. Where does Act 4 fit into all this?

3. After unlocking maps, what else will be left to do other than clearing maps and level'ing up? Does the game have a "end" per se?

4. So basically, is it doing all quests 3 times over, reaching a certain level. Then creating a new character and repeating the whole thing again?

Bonus - If possible, I would also like to know what Hardcore and Torment/Bloodlines are and how they fit into this.

I am really enjoying this game so far but I would like to know where I am headed to, just to be clear. I feel like I haven't understood a lot of it yet. Hope you can help.

P.S - Yes, I googled. No, I didn't get proper answers owing to the numerous other topics with similar headings.

1. Sort of (mainly yes). Maps are actually unlocked once you complete both of Lady Dialla's quests in Merciless Solaris (as of right now, with Act 4 on the way, who knows).

2. Pretty much after Act 3. It appears that the game will be 4 acts x3 now.

3. Nothing. Right now, defeating Dominus is the end of the game. Everything after that is just there so people can continuing playing their characters once the story is done.

4. That's aRPGs for you. The idea is to make different builds with different playstyles to experience the game in different ways. It's not for everyone.

Bonus. Hardcore is if you die you go to Standard. You have to start over in Hardcore from level 1 to progress there again. That dead character (and all his gear) can still play in Standard though.

Torment/Bloodlines are temporary leagues with special mods added in. GGG runs temporary leagues almost continuously to test out new game elements to be added to Standard/Hardcore. Right now this is a bit of a clusterfuck due to the enormous amount of effort Act IV is taking.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
Last edited by Archwizard on Apr 21, 2015, 4:41:08 AM
That was very well explained. Short and Concise. Thank you :)
Hi, you're right about 1), you do the same quest three times. Each difficulty consist of three acts, four "soon".
So you've - Normal Act 1 -> Act 2 -> Act 3 -> Cruel Act 1 -> ...

On cruel you have -20% at all your resistance, and -60% on Merciless, you also lost 5% of your XP on cruel when you die (10% on merciless). Also, some bosses have more varied attacks once you're out of Normal difficulty.

The "end" is about map, farm, and atziri ^^ (I'm not an expert about this)

Bonus :
There are different kind of league in which you can play :
- Standard : basic one, never end, all your char will end here ultimately.
- Hardcore : same as Standard but once you die you're moved to Standard. The economy should be a lot more dynamic as once someone die all his equiped stuff is moved to standard as well.
- Torment : 3 month league (ended a few weeks ago) which is a variation of Standard (Standard + tormented Spirit)
- Bloodlines : 3 month hardcore league (Hardcore + harder blue pack of monsters)

- Torment/Bloodlines : 1 month league with both variations of the two leagues (you can play on harcore or not)

Hope I'm understable :)
well too late anyway
Last edited by Wailanderr on Apr 21, 2015, 4:55:51 AM
Is there any advantage to playing on the Hardcore league? Other than the obvious "I'm hardcore, I dont die" brag right i.e?
"
Le_Sanzo wrote:
Is there any advantage to playing on the Hardcore league? Other than the obvious "I'm hardcore, I dont die" brag right i.e?
Nope, it's just a different experience.

That said, the temporary hardcore leagues have different properties to their corresponding softcore partner (usually aimed at making content harder still, while the softcore temp leagues generally give you some sort of extra loot), and their own set of league-specific unique items.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Ahem. The creed of aRPG. Kill monsters, level up, put skill points, loot the best gears, build the strongest character you can afford. Rinse, repeat.

As a rule of the thumb, I only get my char to 85-86; then build a new one using interesting uniques I obtain during my previous play. So far I have 3 chars, each with very different approach and play style from one another. Different ways to deal damage, different damage mitigation methods, different tricks to handle mobs and bosses.

For me, the joy is when I can build a character that can handle a level 75+ map with less than 5 exalts spent. Pick your poison.
"
Le_Sanzo wrote:

For me its a complete different game. I don't enjoy standard. I need the thrill to know that i can loose my character at any time.

The reason why i like Path of Exile in hardcore: If you loose a char you don't loose your items in the stash. Thats my "progress" (More skill gems and items means more build diversity for my new characters).

Playing this game on standard is for me boring because i get the same doubt and feeling like you about the endgame. Normal finished, repeat on cruel, then repeat on merciless.... on hardcore i repeat much more, but on the first try with a flicker strike build, then an ice shot build etc, my latest character is my "own" Righteous fire build... with other skills and items it is a complete new game.

The second reason is the great feeling if your newest character gets further then the previous ones.
Last edited by Dragongard on Apr 21, 2015, 8:07:45 AM
"
astralgazer wrote:
For me, the joy is when I can build a character that can handle a level 75+ map with less than 5 exalts spent. Pick your poison.

I repeat, I'm a beginner, so i hope you don't mind me asking this. "exalts" - What are they?
"
Dragongard wrote:
"
Le_Sanzo wrote:

For me its a complete different game. I don't enjoy standard. I need the thrill to know that i can loose my character at any time.

The reason why i like Path of Exile in hardcore: If you loose a char you don't loose your items in the stash. Thats my "progress" (More skill gems and items means more build diversity for my new characters).

Playing this game on standard is for me boring because i get the same doubt and feeling like you about the endgame. Normal finished, repeat on cruel, then repeat on merciless.... on hardcore i repeat much more, but on the first try with a flicker strike build, then an ice shot build etc, my latest character is my "own" Righteous fire build... with other skills and items it is a complete new game.

The second reason is the great feeling if your newest character gets further then the previous ones.

That, sounds like a really great way to play the game. Never entering standard but progressing with items in hardcore. I think I'll start on hardcore too, as soon as I learn what's what in this game xD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info